05 TJ Unlimited speed pulse wire - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 11-15-2009, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
maxum3300
2005 LJ Wrangler 

05 TJ Unlimited speed pulse wire

Hello, i am installing my Pioneer AVIC-N1 in my 05 TJ Umlimited and I need to connect the pink wire of the unit to the speed pulse wire of the jeep. Does anyone have any idea what color this wire is and where is the best location to tap into it? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-16-2009, 04:05 AM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

The wire from the speed sensor to the PCM is dark blue with an orange stripe. It runs from the speed sensor at the transfer case to pin 13 of connector C1 at the PCM. Connector C1 is the one furthest from the engine. The closer you get to the computer the more wires will be bundled with it and the harder it may be to find it. Wherever you tap it you will still need to run the wire inside the tub to connect it to the radio.

There are dark blue/orange wires going to two of the other connectors at the PCM so you'd need to unplug the connectors and test for continuity to make sure you get the correct one if tapping near the computer.

The speedometer input for the dash is sent from the computer along the data bus with all the other information, so the speed signal you want has to be from the wire mentioned above.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-16-2009, 05:11 AM
pielet97
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Jeep View Post
The wire from the speed sensor to the PCM is dark blue with an orange stripe. It runs from the speed sensor at the transfer case to pin 13 of connector C1 at the PCM. Connector C1 is the one furthest from the engine. The closer you get to the computer the more wires will be bundled with it and the harder it may be to find it. Wherever you tap it you will still need to run the wire inside the tub to connect it to the radio.

There are dark blue/orange wires going to two of the other connectors at the PCM so you'd need to unplug the connectors and test for continuity to make sure you get the correct one if tapping near the computer.

The speedometer input for the dash is sent from the computer along the data bus with all the other information, so the speed signal you want has to be from the wire mentioned above.
Nice response!

I require things to do.

post #4 of 10 Old 11-16-2009, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
maxum3300
2005 LJ Wrangler 

That info helps alot but my next question is where is the PCM located?
post #5 of 10 Old 11-16-2009, 08:27 AM
Bill_Dunnigan

2005 LJ Wrangler 

don't go to the pcm, like jonny said, try to get the wire futher away from the pcm, the pcm is right next to the battery

2005 LJ Rubicon - 6 Speed - Modded
2004 TJ X - 5 Speed - Modded - Long Gone & Missed!
1999 TJ Sahara - Auto - Long Gone!
2008 KK - Wife's Grocery Getter!
post #6 of 10 Old 01-15-2010, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
maxum3300
2005 LJ Wrangler 

This is an older post that I am reviving because i have a question regarding the proper color of the wire. Jonny Jeep said the wire from the TC is dark blue with an orange stripe. Since the time I originally posted this I have done quite a bit to the jeep. Had to send the NAV unit to Pioneer to have the blank screen fixed. I have since gotten it back and installed it minus the speed pulse wire. I have installed a 4" lift and about to put 315/75-16 tires on it this weekend so I was researching how to correct the speedo calibration once the bigger tires are on. I have found that since my jeep is a rubicon the easiest way to do this is with Superlift's Truspeed calibrator. Accoridng to the installation instruction the speed puls wire from the TC needs to be cut and this unit spliced inline. The instructions say the wire I am looking for from the TC is white with orange stripe and Jonny Jeep said its dark blue with an orange stripe. I have not physically gotten under the jeep to look at the speed sensor but does anyone know what color the wire actually is?
post #7 of 10 Old 01-15-2010, 01:38 PM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

The signal wire is white/orange up to the 04 model it changes to dark blue/orange in 2005. Here's the colours you should have at your speed sensor connector...

1 YL/PK 5 VOLT SUPPLY
2 DB/DG SENSOR GROUND
3 DB/OR VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR SIGNAL
post #8 of 10 Old 03-11-2010, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
maxum3300
2005 LJ Wrangler 

OK so Im just now getting back around to hooking up this speed pulse wire. I have weighed both options as to where to tap into this wire and decided it will be easiest to tap it at the transfer case. I climbed up under the jeep and I see multiple wire harnesses coming off the transfer case. Can someone be more specific as to which bundle the blue/orange wire is? Thanks.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-12-2010, 01:45 AM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

The sensor is in the rear output housing of the transfer case. The wire is in the connector that plugs into it. The sensor is the one near the center of this image...
post #10 of 10 Old 03-12-2010, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
maxum3300
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks Jonny, thats exactly what I need.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in