02 Sensors won't ready? Codes after replacing 02's? Read and try this. - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 70 Old 12-08-2012, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
TroubleNEO

2006 LJ Wrangler 

02 Sensors won't ready? Codes after replacing 02's? Read and try this.

So, I've been chasing down an issue with the o2 sensor heater on my 06 LJ for awhile now. I keep getting the p0153 code and a CEL.

This error code is:

2/1 Oxygen Sensor, slow response.

It comes and goes intermittently, sometimes the CEL comes on, sometimes it doesn't. I've gone through the o2 sensor wiring harness looking for shorts, I've checked for exhaust leaks, I've tightened up the flanges at the mini cats, and I've replaced what I originally thought was a faulty sensor with new quality NTK sensors.

After nearly losing my mind over this issue so I can pass E-Check this finally solved the issue. My o2 sensors will now ready up, the CEL is gone, and the system will now go into closed loop after everything is warmed up.

Two seperate wiring diagrams for 05-06 Wranglers were used. One with a relay in the PDC for the O2 Heater and one without. The one without uses the ASD and Fuel Pump relays.

Tools needed:
Wire cutters/crimper
Soldering iron
Shrink Tubing

1. Disconect negative and postive from battery

2. Remove The Power Distribution cover from the PDC

3. Locate ASD and Fuel Pump relays

4. Remove 2 nuts used to secure positive cable to PDC

5. Remove PDC from bracket and remove bottom cover exposing wires.

6. Locate the terminal end in PDC cavity A13 that connects the ASD to relay pin 35. Two 20 guage wires, both Pink and White, are crimped to this terminal end.

7. The PK/WH wire on the left that connects to the fuel pump relay needs to be clipped as close to the cavity as possible. This will no longer be needed.

8. At the same PDC cavity, cut the other (right) PK/WH wire about 2 inches from cavity. There are now 3 PK/WH wires. Strip 1/4 of insulation from all three.

9. Solder the one PK/WH wire leading from fuel pump relay to the PK/WH wire leading from the wire harness. Be sure to slide shrink tubing over wires first. The remaining PK/WH wire should not be connected to anything yet.

10. Locate the Red/Yellow 18 gauge wire connected to the terminal end in PDC cavity A15. This connects the ASD relay pin 30 to fuse #9 ASD Power. Cut this wire 2 inches from the terminal cavity.

11. Strip 1/4 of insulation from both ends of RD/YL wires

12. Solder the two RD/YL and the one remaining PK/WH wires together. Be sure to slide shrink tubing over wires before.

13. Reinstall Cover on PDC, install PDC into bracket, Attached postitive cable back to PDC. Install positive and negative battery cables.

14. Laugh and have a beer.

Looking for: 03-06 interior plastic trim. PM me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 Old 12-08-2012, 06:40 PM
_KONG_

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sweet ill look into this. Ive been chasing a heater code too. 31 37 51 and 57
post #3 of 70 Old 12-08-2012, 10:04 PM
ops5

2005 TJ Wrangler 

There is a TSB on this in case anyone was wondering TSB 25-001-07

http://www.obdclearinghouse.com/docu.../25-001-07.pdf

post #4 of 70 Old 12-09-2012, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
TroubleNEO

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ops5 View Post
There is a TSB on this in case anyone was wondering TSB 25-001-07

http://www.obdclearinghouse.com/docu.../25-001-07.pdf
A lot better than my instructions thanks!

post #5 of 70 Old 12-19-2012, 06:10 AM
stripperguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

OK, count me as one of the victims...I have a recurring P0153 code.
I read the fix above and the Chrysler TSB...
I can do the wiring modifications but I do not understand what the ASD and Fuel Pump relays have to do with the O2 sensor/sensor heating circuit.
Can anyone explain? And does this wiring mod fix the recurring P0153 fault?
Thanks in advance, experts!!

1977 CJ5 is a CJ build ever really done?
2002 TJ gone
2005 TJ also gone
2005 LJ insurance wreck
post #6 of 70 Old 12-19-2012, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
TroubleNEO

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
OK, count me as one of the victims...I have a recurring P0153 code.
I read the fix above and the Chrysler TSB...
I can do the wiring modifications but I do not understand what the ASD and Fuel Pump relays have to do with the O2 sensor/sensor heating circuit.
Can anyone explain? And does this wiring mod fix the recurring P0153 fault?
Thanks in advance, experts!!
Before 05-06 they were on their own relay. If you can't find a relay for it under the hood it has been added to the ASD/FP relay. From my understanding I think this moves or rewires the way the heater circuit passes through the relays.

I had the P0153 code randomly pop up one day. After replacing the sensors with NGK, and then replacing the one still throwing the P0153 with another NGK and returning the first one I tried this. My code never came back and my 02 sensors finally readied up. I have no idea why mine decided to start having this problem after 76k.

To quote from another forum where this was discussed:

Quote:
I've done this on two different 2005 wranglers- both also threw codes (different codes for both jeeps). Jeep one was P0431 " Warm up catalyst efficiency below threshold bank 2" and the second jeep P0153 "Slow response O2 sensor bank 2, sensor 1"

Most dealerships and private garages will be fast to replace the cats. Most likely this is not needed and will not solve anything. This problem can take time to show itself- Jeep 1 didn't pop up until 80k and Jeep 2 at 45k.

post #7 of 70 Old 12-19-2012, 09:26 AM
ops5

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Mine shows "not ready for I/M testing", but I have not had a code yet. I'm at 55k.
post #8 of 70 Old 02-06-2013, 10:26 AM
jeepn012

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Same boat here, this thread has me optimistic on getting this thing passed through emmissions. I've had the same codes popping up for the O2 sensors and slow O2 response....

So far, I have replaced all four O2 sensors with NTK's and no CEL after 120 miles of driving, which means no current codes popping up.

I have two "not ready" status items = FAIL. One is the O2 Sens Htr and the other is the Catalyst.

In TX I can pass with just one "not ready" status. I ordered the Magnaflow catalytic converter system for big $$$. Hope this will fix my problem and I can send it back...

1990 YJ - 96 to 03 My first. She will be missed.
2004 TJ - 03 to 11. Old Faithful. I will have another TJ one day.
2007 JKU - SOLD
2005 LJ - In the mail, hope I like it. Everybody's doin it, here is the build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 70 Old 02-08-2013, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
TroubleNEO

2006 LJ Wrangler 

PM me if you want to talk about saving money if your cats are indeed dead.

post #10 of 70 Old 02-23-2013, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
TroubleNEO

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I am super happy to report that my o2 sensor heater issues are completely gone after performing the TSB.

The o2 sensor heater drive cycle status FINALLY readied up during a drive last night after doing the TSB. The CEL is also gone now too. Here are a couple pictures.

If you have this issue just get the TSB done. It took me all of a half hour while messing around and drinking beer.

First splice:

Splice two, I had to cut a piece of wire to extend the splice as the wires weren't long enough.

post #11 of 70 Old 03-17-2013, 03:28 PM
timberwolf0122

2020 J-Series Truck 

Wish me luck, I had exactly these symptoms on my 05lj and I just retired the relays. Had a major pucker moment after I reconnected the battery an the jeep was dead, nothing.... Then I noticed I had not reconnected the power to the fuse box... Doh!

Atheist Jeep Club Member #2
Doctor Who has died 13 times, is on his 14th regeneration and has a time machine, beat that Jesus.
post #12 of 70 Old 03-18-2013, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
TroubleNEO

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberwolf0122 View Post
Wish me luck, I had exactly these symptoms on my 05lj and I just retired the relays. Had a major pucker moment after I reconnected the battery an the jeep was dead, nothing.... Then I noticed I had not reconnected the power to the fuse box... Doh!
Good luck! I hope this helps you, this issue was driving me nuts for a long time and I spent money on o2 sensors only to still have the problem. The sensors I replaced were probably perfectly fine sadly.

For me the error code went away immediately since I had the power disconnected during this which reset the codes. The heater status readied up very quickly, like the same day, and the code has not been back since!

post #13 of 70 Old 04-04-2013, 07:10 PM
stripperguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Just did the TSB rewiring today. I had installed a new NGK O2 sensor about 2 months ago, and I was still waiting for it to ready up.
We'll see how this goes, only have one cycle on the clock so far. As far as the wiring mod, it was pretty straight forward. I used plain old T & B butt splices...
Thanks in advance to all.

Anyone know how many cycles it should take before ready up??

2002 TJ gone
2005 TJ also gone
2005 LJ insurance wreck
post #14 of 70 Old 04-04-2013, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
TroubleNEO

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Just did the TSB rewiring today. I had installed a new NGK O2 sensor about 2 months ago, and I was still waiting for it to ready up.
We'll see how this goes, only have one cycle on the clock so far. As far as the wiring mod, it was pretty straight forward. I used plain old T & B butt splices...
Thanks in advance to all.

Anyone know how many cycles it should take before ready up??

Mine did so within a day or two I believe...do you have a scan tool to view the statuses?

post #15 of 70 Old 04-04-2013, 09:39 PM
stripperguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Neo,
No, I don't have a scanner, but I can do the key on and wait 15 sec thing...flashing engine light tells me not yet.
Some of the problem for me is my 2 mile drive to work, on cold days the engine never gets up to temp fully.

2002 TJ gone
2005 TJ also gone
2005 LJ insurance wreck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in