01 Wrangler..coolant looks like Mississippi River - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-14-2008, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
gotmule
2001 TJ Wrangler 

01 Wrangler..coolant looks like Mississippi River

The coolant in my '01 wrangler is always a rust color. Kind of looks like the mississippi river. It's not thick or sludgy just yucky! I have drained it flushed it numerous times, yet as soon as water or coolant is added and the thermostat opens, the muddy liquid starts flowing back through.

A mechanic I spoke with once told me this is caused by foundry sand used to cast the block. He explained to me how to flush most of it out but I didn't do it right away cause it seemd a bit involved, and have since forgotten what he told me to do.

Incidentally, I have replaced heater core and radiator in recent years.

Any connection do you think? Is there some sort of corrosion going on here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jerry

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-14-2008, 10:37 PM
jake1977

1997 TJ Wrangler 

The sand cast would have been flushed out of the block before the core plugs were put in. When was the first time that you drained the radiator? How many times? Is the coolant getting cleaner after each time you are flushing and filling the radiator? When you only do a radiator flush you get just that. You won't get any of the coolant in the heater core and hoses, or the block. By doing a total system flush you will get all areas. I went to a local shop and had them do it. It was close to a hundred dollars. When I had to replace my waterpump the coolant in the block was a good clean green color. I hope this helps and not to much info.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-15-2008, 09:15 AM
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake1977 View Post
When I had to replace my waterpump the coolant in the block was a good clean green color.
The factory started installing red coolant (HOAT, not Dexcool) in 2001.

post #4 of 11 Old 06-15-2008, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
gotmule
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Factory coolant is long gone. It doesn't matter what color it starts out. Even clear water comes out looking muddy.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-15-2008, 11:40 AM
htownjeep
What's that noise?

You'll most likely have to take it to a reputable mechanic. My a/c guy is a solid guy and he charged me like $100 I think for a total flush. It took a few hours but he did it right. Even if you just flush the radiator you still probably have corrosion in the block somewhere.

Drink upstream from the herd.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-15-2008, 12:19 PM
dogbreath650

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Corrosion is bad news for a cooling system, leads to premature failure of the radiator and water pump.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-15-2008, 02:10 PM
jake1977

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangofox007 View Post
The factory started installing red coolant (HOAT, not Dexcool) in 2001.
Yeah I'm ok with the green anti-freeze. Each automotive company uses their own brand of anti-freeze. As long as it is good below freezing and cools my engine works for me. I was happy to see it green in the block instead of being nasty after having it flushed. It tells me that the local shop actually flushed it with the machine.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-15-2008, 05:09 PM
Ichabod1960
Have Jeep, Will Travel

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmule View Post
The coolant in my '01 wrangler is always a rust color. Kind of looks like the mississippi river. It's not thick or sludgy just yucky! I have drained it flushed it numerous times, yet as soon as water or coolant is added and the thermostat opens, the muddy liquid starts flowing back through.

A mechanic I spoke with once told me this is caused by foundry sand used to cast the block. He explained to me how to flush most of it out but I didn't do it right away cause it seemd a bit involved, and have since forgotten what he told me to do.

Incidentally, I have replaced heater core and radiator in recent years.

Any connection do you think? Is there some sort of corrosion going on here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jerry
I'd pull the thermostat, disconnect the hoses, open the engine drain plug(s), get a garden hose and run some water through the engine. Then put in a new thermostat and fill up the system with distilled water only. Run it for a few minutes until the engine warms up then let it cool down. If the water is still muddy then it's time to do a power flush.

Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
There's a great lower division class called "Writing for Effective Communications so you don't go through the rest of your life confusing everyone who reads what you write 101" at Washington State University. I highly recommend it.

Last edited by Ichabod1960; 06-16-2008 at 01:23 AM.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-15-2008, 08:27 PM
tjthorson

2013 JK Wrangler 

Completely flush it out until its clean - just with water. Then drain everything you can again. Pull a heater hose and flush that way - flush the radiator, etc....

Then, refill with 1/2 bottle of this stuff and 50/50 antifreeze:
http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...PROD&ProdID=27

Let it run a month or two. Drain and flush again (it will get REAL dirty when the RMI25 gets done cleaning it.)

Then refill with 50/50 and the other half of the bottle and let her run. It will keep everything nice and clean and keep the garbage in suspension (you will see it start collecting in the overflow bottle.

I have used it for years - awesome stuff...

Todd Thorson
2013 JKU Gecko Green
post #10 of 11 Old 06-17-2008, 09:39 AM
slate210
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Will coolant with suspended rust affect the heat transfer properties of the coolant? My '00 has rusty coolant and runs a little hot after about an hour or 2 of driving. The temp reads at about 220. We just put in a radiator barn radiator last month and drained all the coolant and replaced it, so I'm not sure why we suddenly have all this rust.

2000 TJ 4.0 5-SP 115k mi. Patriot Blue - Bone stock...for now.
1997 TJ 4.0 5-SP 134k mi. Red Jeep Club Member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Some mods...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 VW Jetta TDI DSG 54k mi. BLACK Rocketchipped, boostvalve, boost gauge.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-22-2008, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
gotmule
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Many thanks to everybody for their valuable input. I flushed radiator as well as engine out today w/Prestone coolant system flush. Drained radiator, poured coolant flush into radiator, topped off w/water. Ran engine for 10min w/heat on high to allow cleaning of the heating core as well. Drained nasty stuff out, refilled w/water, ran through, flushed out, and this time I flushed from the bypass I have on the heater hose and back out through the radiator until clear water flowed through.

Refilled w/nice bright green coolant and even after running to temperature the coolant remained bright green(before it turned muddy as soon as thermostat opened). We'll see how it looks after a few days but after today I am optimistic I have successfully flushed this crap from my engine.

Thanks again to everybody for their .02

Jerry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in