'01 TJ Death Wobble - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 12-18-2014, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
JeeperLink
2001 TJ Wrangler 

'01 TJ Death Wobble

I have an '01 2.5L TJ with 32" tires and 2" lift. I bought it like this and it seems that it has all stock suspension. All they did was to put spring spacers to get the lift. I was lied to by the dealer and I should looked closer..

Anyway, at 40mph up to 45, I have wobble in the front. It's not terribly bad after looking at some videos of others. But it's still annoying. I have put the Jeep on jack stands and turned the steering lock-to-lock and find no play in any of the joints. I have also taking out the track bar, and steering stabilizer and have not found any wear on the bushings or rubber. The stabilizer shock is stiff and no leakage. I have noticed that it feels like it's coming from the left front. So I checked to see if there was any play in the wheel bearings on both front tires, and there was none.

I am at a total loss as to where the wobble is coming from. Please note that I am a mechanic. I have built and raced cars for the 13 years. I will admit that I don't have much experience with 4wds. The only thing that I have NOT done was to rotate the tires. I will be doing that this evening..

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Jeep Registry: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...2#post27209562

Specs (if you don't want to click the link):
2.5L - stock
ax-5 Tranny
231 transfer case
Dana 30 on the front
Dana 35 in the rear

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-18-2014, 12:53 PM
Shark_13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
When you do the dry steer test, the tires need to be on the ground, not on jack stands.

Just go back & forth a 1/2 turn, no need for lock-lock. Feel the tie rod ends for play, and watch both ends of the track bar for any type of movement.

What is your tire pressure set to? last time balanced & rotated? toe in?
post #3 of 8 Old 12-18-2014, 01:11 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

If just a slight wobble, not full DW, check tire balance.

post #4 of 8 Old 12-18-2014, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
JeeperLink
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies guys. Yea, I was thinking tire balance as well. But, before spending money on this issue, wanted to cross out a few off my list.

I did steer it left to right before I put it on stands. The right front has very little play in it (I would say, less than a millimeter). The left front, none.

Pressure is set to 22lbs, any higher then it feels like I don't have any suspension.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-19-2014, 07:10 PM
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Most speed dependent wobble when moving in a straight line, is tire balance issues if it happens nearly 100% of the time that you are driving in that particular speed range.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-19-2014, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
JeeperLink
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yea, tire balance is where I am leaning towards as well. Just made a 5 hour round trip with it (longest trip so far) and my back is killing me. But, I will have the tires balanced, probably after Christmas.

I am planning on upgrading the tire rods and arms with a ZJ set, but that's a different thread.

I will also update this thread whenever I do find the culprit of the wobble, so hopefully it will help someone else!

Thanks!
post #7 of 8 Old 12-20-2014, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
JeeperLink
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Rotated the tires in an X pattern and everything went away. No more wobble or vibration. Had it up to 60 today and feels like I'm riding on a cloud, in comparison to what is was before.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-20-2014, 10:39 PM
Shark_13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Gotta love the easy cheap fixes

Tags
death wobble , shaking , shimmy , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in