Rubicon or Sport w/ Lift - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-07-2020, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
gdgraph

Rubicon or Sport w/ Lift

Need advise, should I buy a Rubicon or a Sport and put a small lift/new tires on it base on the below circumstances:

I'm not planning to go off roading (there's not many places near me in the NOVA/DC area), but I don't like the way the stock Wrangler Sport looks with the tiny wheels/tires. I think that the new Rubicon package looks just perfect stock, and I don't need to go any bigger on tires/lift because I still want to be able to fit into parking garages, I don't want to sacrifice gas mileage that much (even though it may only be 2 mpgs or so), and I won't really be taking it off road.

So my question to the community is: is the Rubicon worth it or would I be better off just buying a sport and putting a 2" lift and bigger tires on it? Right now a brand new Sport is about $35k (before tax/title/dealer fees) and a new Rubicon is around $45-50k on the lower end. Unlike many cars, you get a lot more fancy gadgets, leather seats, and tech with the higher trims. I'm looking at bare bones Rubicons that don't even have leather seats, and it's not like they come with adaptive cruise control, they just look better and are more capable that the Sport. What would it take to basically get a Sport to look like a Rubicon if I upgraded tires and suspension, is that about $4-5k? And is that worth the savings over buying the Rubicon, or should I just buy the Rubicon because it will hold it's value better (I'm assuming any mods going into the Sport I wouldn't get back when I sell)?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-07-2020, 08:25 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Well, you get more off road orientated options with the Rubicon. Gears, axles, lockers and fancy trims.

You can equip a Sport S with the fancy trims, radio, aux switches and even the ELSD. You will certainly save money to lift a Sport S and option it with the creature comforts you want. A 2" lift (or picking up a JLU Rubicon takeoff suspension) and some 33's or 35's will give you the look you want and allow you to keep a few grand in your pocket.

If you are not going off road, I probably wouldn't buy the Rubicon.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #3 of 5 Old 08-10-2020, 07:11 PM
Patriot1776

If you don't plan on going off road at all just go with the Sport S. The Rubicon is way more then just an appearance package and you wont need any of it to cruise the mall. 2.5" lift and 35's on a sport S will even take you off road if you need to. If you do want to go off road later and build a good Jeep you can modify the **** out of any of them.

post #4 of 5 Old 09-05-2020, 05:55 PM
Neener Neener

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Definitely stick with the Sport if you aren't going to be doing much off-roading. The Sport will be capable enough to minor off road excursions and you'll save money because you aren't buying upgrades you don't need.

There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al The Killer
My monkey likes your monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape Ape
Just go get one and lick it when you get the urge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-20-2020, 07:52 AM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
If you put larger tires on a Sport or Sport S without changing the gear ratio, your Jeep will lack power and acceleration ability. The Rubicon comes with 411 ratio, which is appropriate for larger tires.

Buy a “Poor Mans” Rubicon.

Buy a Sport S with the EcoDiesel option. It will come with 373 ratio, a Dana 44 front and rear, with a LSD in the rear. The Diesel engine makes 442 torque at 1400 RPM. You could put 35” tires on it and it will have the power and gear ratio to accelerate faster than ANY other Wrangler made. The little 3.0 turbo charged V-6 will get 28 MPG on the highway.

Google Farrish Jeep in your area, they have several EcoDiesel Sport S models on the lot all well under 50K.
Attached Thumbnails
4B240EF5-C4E0-4EA7-96D5-16D381BBCB07.jpg  

1985 CJ-7 Red with white hardtop, 258 auto
View my Pontiac in my profile

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in