Release Date - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 60 Old 11-11-2015, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
captblue1
1985 CJ7 

Release Date

is there any official announcement on when? I believe I have heard 2018 model on sale at end of 2017.

I have been thinking of getting a new jeep and would like to wait for new model

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 11-13-2015, 09:13 AM
79cj7amc304auto
2013 JK Wrangler 

JK's are the most capable jeep to date. I can't imagine Fiat making a MORE capable jeep. But hey maybe they will. I just wouldn't want to wait two years to get a jeep that might be slightly more capable. Plus... what if the aftermarket manufacturers decide to not support the new jeep? It'll be even longer before aftermarket support is up to speed. There's so much support for these JK's that I doubt I'll ever upgrade. But hey that's what TJ owners still say so...
post #3 of 60 Old 11-13-2015, 11:42 AM
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Funny, the best time to buy a model is mid run. Why? The first few years will have many things that will be upgraded in later years. The last year of a model is mechanically the best time to buy it. But, in one year (or less) it becomes very old looking and can be confused with a Jeep 10 years older even though it's a year old. I know, I own an 95 YJ.

So mid to late would be the optimum. If the mechanicals didn't get upgraded at all during the model run, the first year would be the best. It would look the same as a new Jeep even though its 10 years old.

2013 JKU
1995 YJ

post #4 of 60 Old 11-13-2015, 05:59 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
ok so you wait like 7-10 years since these have long runs...to get the next end of a run. see you in 2027 .........

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 60 Old 11-16-2015, 03:52 PM
Jeeper-Creeper
2016 JK Wrangler 

8-sp Diesel Wrangler is worth the wait. Of course the manual version will rock but not 100% if offered with diesel. Also every new Jeep everyone says the last one is better, been that way since...forever...
post #6 of 60 Old 11-17-2015, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
captblue1
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper-Creeper View Post
8-sp Diesel Wrangler is worth the wait. Of course the manual version will rock but not 100% if offered with diesel. Also every new Jeep everyone says the last one is better, been that way since...forever...
If I waited for the Diesel version that was just around the corner in 2008, I wouldn't own a wrangler.
post #7 of 60 Old 11-17-2015, 04:05 PM
Jeeper-Creeper
2016 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by captblue1 View Post
If I waited for the Diesel version that was just around the corner in 2008, I wouldn't own a wrangler.
True, tho the diesel option seems much more legit this time around.
post #8 of 60 Old 11-18-2015, 05:17 PM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

2020 J-Series Truck 

Why is a diesel Wrangler so appealing to some people?

I'd much rather have a factory V8 option.
post #9 of 60 Old 11-18-2015, 05:44 PM
RIP John

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post

I would imagine for the extra low end torque and extra mpg.

(2011-2016)
post #10 of 60 Old 11-18-2015, 05:47 PM
Spank

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Better fuel economy and a ****ton of torque. EDIT: Bah, 1222 beat me to it.

Quote:
A V8 is unnecessary in a Wrangler.

'14 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
post #11 of 60 Old 11-18-2015, 07:15 PM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

2020 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222
I would imagine for the extra low end torque and extra mpg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank
Better fuel economy and a ****ton of torque. EDIT: Bah, 1222 beat me to it. A V8 is unnecessary in a Wrangler.
V8s make awesome low end torque too.

Diesel gas is more expensive. I don't find the better fuel economy being much of an advantage other than a longer cruising range between fill ups.

If you think a V8 is unnecessary, how can you justify a diesel?

In my opinion, diesels are for towing. When I'm wheeling in an open top Jeep, I'll take a V8.
post #12 of 60 Old 11-19-2015, 09:16 AM
Kev M
2016 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
is there any official announcement on when? I believe I have heard 2018 model on sale at end of 2017.

I have been thinking of getting a new jeep and would like to wait for new model
Car & Driver (and a few other sources) are suggesting it will be a 2017 model:

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...nderneath-news

Quote:
this is in all likelihood an early test mule for the next-generation Wrangler, which is due out in a year or so as a 2017 model.

<snip>

The next Wrangler is said to be making a late-2016 debut; the Toledo factory where today’s Wrangler is built is already retooling for the next-gen version, as well as a new Wrangler-based pickup.

http://www.technewstoday.com/26453-2...hat-to-expect/

But additional sources are calling it 2018.

It wouldn't be without precedent for Jeep to skip a model year when introducing a new Wrangler right? (IIRC?).

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...gler-spy-shots

http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/wrangler/2017.html

<shrug>

I kinda hope it is a 2017 model OR that they skip a year, so that I get the LAST year of the JKU.
post #13 of 60 Old 11-19-2015, 07:20 PM
Spank

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
V8s make awesome low end torque too.
Yes, but have poor fuel economy, especially in a vehicle that has no aerodynamics to speak of. HEMI and even LS3 Wrangler's just barely clear the early teens in the MPG department and while enthusiasts certainly won't have a beef with that, the average consumer absolutely will.

An off-the-lot V8 Wrangler direct from Jeep is never gonna happen. A turbo'd six-cylinder is wishful thinking, but much more likely.

Quote:
Diesel gas is more expensive. I don't find the better fuel economy being much of an advantage other than a longer cruising range between fill ups.
Diesel gas averages 20c-30c more than the lowest octane gas. It's not that much more expensive. Diesel prices also don't fluctuate nearly as much as regular gas does.

Quote:
If you think a V8 is unnecessary, how can you justify a diesel?
Fuel economy, fuel economy, fuel economy. It doesn't matter what application the advantage plays in, but the fact those MPG numbers have to go up per government standards. Likewise, Jeep has to appeal to the lowest common denominator, the soccer mom and the hipster dad who will never take their Jeep off pavement and never carry a payload beyond a bag of groceries. They're the folks that keep Jeep alive, not the guy who wants a V8.

'14 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
post #14 of 60 Old 11-20-2015, 06:24 AM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

2020 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank View Post
Yes, but have poor fuel economy, especially in a vehicle that has no aerodynamics to speak of. HEMI and even LS3 Wrangler's just barely clear the early teens in the MPG department and while enthusiasts certainly won't have a beef with that, the average consumer absolutely will.

An off-the-lot V8 Wrangler direct from Jeep is never gonna happen. A turbo'd six-cylinder is wishful thinking, but much more likely.

Diesel gas averages 20c-30c more than the lowest octane gas. It's not that much more expensive. Diesel prices also don't fluctuate nearly as much as regular gas does.

Fuel economy, fuel economy, fuel economy. It doesn't matter what application the advantage plays in, but the fact those MPG numbers have to go up per government standards. Likewise, Jeep has to appeal to the lowest common denominator, the soccer mom and the hipster dad who will never take their Jeep off pavement and never carry a payload beyond a bag of groceries. They're the folks that keep Jeep alive, not the guy who wants a V8.
You have a lot of good points there.

I average 15-16 MPG in my V8 TJ.

With your point about the fluctuations in gas prices, that is an advantage for the gas motor. Today in Toledo, OH, 87 octane is $1.69; Diesel is $2.75. At best diesel will be $0.20-$0.30 more expensive. At worst, well, today we are seeing a 63% increase in price for diesel.
post #15 of 60 Old 01-02-2016, 05:51 AM
OldJeeper
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I believe I have heard 2018 model on sale at end of 2017.
I heard a 2018 model too, but being announced in the summer of 2017 around the same time as all the other 2018 models.

However, more times than not, all-new models end up missing their target release date due to various unexpected problems coming up. So, I would not be surprised if it ends up getting delayed, and if it gets delayed enough, it could turn from a 2018 model into an early 2019 model.

1987 Wrangler Laredo
1999 Cherokee Limited (Up Country, Trailer Tow)
2014 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon X

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in