Observation II & Resent Discovery - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 05-17-2019, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
RubiconFreedom

2017 JK Wrangler 

Question Observation II & Resent Discovery

Although we've purchased the 2017 Wrangler at one point we did have our eyes on the new JT Gladiator, if only it was the two door model. One of the main deal breakers for us was that the JL & JT jeep and now other vehicles have this ESS included with these vehicles. We are familiar with this es and we hate it.

But after viewing several forums including the JL forum, we've seen others try to disable the system one way or another. Not sure anyone here has the start/stop chip plug-n-play device or has simply disconnected the push pin under the hood. I've just learn that if you have the navigation/on board system, one can enter the system settings and ajust the amount of time allowed before the ESS system becomes active.

Although this setting allows for at the most 10min duration before the engine stops while at a stop light etc, it doesn't have a setting to actually disable the system entirely. hell sitting in traffic for more then 10 mins I'd cut off the engine myself. Knowing this now, there could be hope that if the 2 door "scrambler" JT wrangler was to hit the market in a few years, we would have to get the navigation/on board system just so we can adjust the ESS. So is there hope for us getting that small jeep truck we've wanted. But I wouldn't bet on it.

To all those who have ESS, you either like it or hate it, but what have you done to either disable it or extend the cycle of the system. just makes me wonder if the plug-n-play people has able to access this information and be able to extend the cycle further.

Semi-Retired Sr. Mechanical Assembler & Sr. Quality Assurance Inspector for Aerospace Industry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 05-17-2019, 12:08 PM
JIMBOX

2018 LJ Wrangler 

To me, it's notta big deal--I always (automatically) push the ESS button at the same time as the IGN button--

Now and then I'll leave it on to CYCLE THE SYSTEM--

No problem

JIMBO

Firecracker Red 2dr RUBICON--2018
Stinger Yellow 2016 RAM/Hemi/8spd auto 4x4

--YA GOTTA HAVE CLASS--
post #3 of 29 Old 05-17-2019, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
RubiconFreedom

2017 JK Wrangler 

hah I knew I'd here from you Jimbo glad you're liking the jeep. I guess my point is, if we had known that the jeep could have been programed to extend the duration of the cycle, would we have bought a JL.. and now with crunch time just around the corner, would we have purchased the JT gladiator. Wont know for sure. But we're going to take time to at least go check on out, As I said we'd rather it be the two door model.

Semi-Retired Sr. Mechanical Assembler & Sr. Quality Assurance Inspector for Aerospace Industry

post #4 of 29 Old 05-17-2019, 12:59 PM
rockhopper

Location: /lo-kashen/ a position or site occupied or available for occupancy or marked by some distinguishing feature
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconFreedom View Post
hah I knew I'd here from you Jimbo glad you're liking the jeep. I guess my point is, if we had known that the jeep could have been programed to extend the duration of the cycle, would we have bought a JL.. and now with crunch time just around the corner, would we have purchased the JT gladiator. Wont know for sure. But we're going to take time to at least go check on out, As I said we'd rather it be the two door model.
I just checked my Settings and don't see any option for this.

2019 JLUR
1999 TJ
post #5 of 29 Old 05-17-2019, 01:43 PM
JIMBOX

2018 LJ Wrangler 

Heh Heh, yeah, I probably woulda gotten the JT if it had been a 2dr, but the 4dr is just so HUGE/long--

Quote:
It's almost the same size as my DODGE RAM--SO I'll just stay away and watch what FCA does !!

Good day

JIMBO

Firecracker Red 2dr RUBICON--2018
Stinger Yellow 2016 RAM/Hemi/8spd auto 4x4

--YA GOTTA HAVE CLASS--
post #6 of 29 Old 05-17-2019, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
RubiconFreedom

2017 JK Wrangler 

Friend showed me his Stop/Start. He said, access the nav system settings on the center console > Engine Off Power Delay as shown in the image below. This system can be delayed: 0 secs, 45 secs, 5 mins and 10 mins as shown in the picture.

post #7 of 29 Old 05-17-2019, 06:57 PM
rockhopper

Location: /lo-kashen/ a position or site occupied or available for occupancy or marked by some distinguishing feature
Quote:
Friend showed me his Stop/Start. He said, access the nav system settings on the center console > Engine Off Power Delay as shown in the image below. This system can be delayed: 0 secs, 45 secs, 5 mins and 10 mins as shown in the picture.
RubiconFreedom, that doesn't control the ESS, it controls how long electrical power (ie. radio) stays on after you turn the engine off. For example, mine came set to 10 minutes, but I don't like my stereo blaring in my garage after I've gone inside. So I changed it to 0 minutes, and now the radio shuts off as soon as I stop the engine.

2019 JLUR
1999 TJ
post #8 of 29 Old 05-18-2019, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
RubiconFreedom

2017 JK Wrangler 

Thank you for the clarification @rockhopper seems I'll need to select my friends more carefully.. Can't say I was gelable, cause we have no desire to see ourselves in the JL. Shame this doesn't activate/deactivate the ESS. the search continues..

post #9 of 29 Old 05-18-2019, 07:27 AM
rockhopper

Quote:
Thank you for the clarification @rockhopper seems I'll need to select my friends more carefully.. Can't say I was gelable, cause we have no desire to see ourselves in the JL. Shame this doesn't activate/deactivate the ESS. the search continues..
No worries, it's a poorly worded setting in the first place.

2019 JLUR
1999 TJ
post #10 of 29 Old 05-22-2019, 11:41 AM
WXman
2020 J-Series Truck 

Well, my experience is that ESS does exactly what it was supposed to do, it saves fuel and therefore saves me money. I found that out the hard way when my ESS system stopped functioning at the end of last year.

The programmers that turn ESS "off" are really just simulating pressing the button on the dash. I suppose there are people who would pay hundreds of dollars for a device that'll simulate a single button press for them, but I'm not one of those people.
Attached Images

Current Jeep: '20 JT Gladiator Max Tow w/ mods

Prior Jeeps/trucks/cars: Too many to list
post #11 of 29 Old 05-31-2019, 11:29 PM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

Oh wow. A whopping 1 mpg improvement thanks ESS.

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
post #12 of 29 Old 06-02-2019, 12:02 PM
Pine_Cat
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Our government has determined that we can't be trusted to decide when ESS is, and is not, beneficial, so the company would have to pass along a financial penalty to customers if ESS were not automatically activated on every start-up

Consider how many short-sighted decisions are routinely being inflicted on us by stupid and mean-spirited government bureaucrats likewise manipulating "market forces"

2017 JK Sahara (my Smartcar)
2011 KK Liberty (H&R lift springs, OldManEmu shocks/struts, skinny 32)
2009 Kia Sorento (H&R springs, ToyTec strut spacers, OldManEmu shocks/struts, skinny 31)
2006 TJ budget LCG prerunner (see profile)
2006 Chevy Trailblazer (EXT lift, Nth LJ 4.5" springs + Monroe rear coilovers, skinny 32)
1998 Dodge Durango (SuspMax & Roadmaster lifts, rear Truetrac, skinny 32)
post #13 of 29 Old 06-06-2019, 01:26 PM
Wrangler-Joe
2019 LJ Wrangler 

Why not purchase the plug in module from SmartStopStart.com? It solves all these problems and it allows people who love their Stop-Start feature to continue to use it (hard to believe there are many of those). I installed the module on my new JLU the 2nd day I owned it. 100% pleased.

JoeG
post #14 of 29 Old 06-06-2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
RubiconFreedom

2017 JK Wrangler 

@Wrangler-Joe I spoke about this plug-n-play device within the opening statement. I was even given a chance at owning one of these if we had purchased the Jl or even JT. just didn't like the idea. the point here is I wish that the system of the dash icon was fully active this way "we" have the option to reduce or extend the ESS without being forced to ride like it is. Just another reason I suggested that to anyone who can create a system that works as I explained then we would consider a JT. But only if it was a diesel 2 door model.

post #15 of 29 Old 06-07-2019, 07:11 AM
Pine_Cat
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
the point here is I wish that the system of the dash icon was fully active this way "we" have the option to reduce or extend the ESS without being forced to ride like it is
Agreed, each of the possible workarounds comes with annoyances or issues. Nevertheless, this discussion reminds us that we frequently have detrimental "choices" forced on us by mean-spirited bureaucrats who are pursuing political posturing instead of doing the right thing.

"Oops, we were wrong, but now we can't undo it" :

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFTcmORherM

2017 JK Sahara (my Smartcar)
2011 KK Liberty (H&R lift springs, OldManEmu shocks/struts, skinny 32)
2009 Kia Sorento (H&R springs, ToyTec strut spacers, OldManEmu shocks/struts, skinny 31)
2006 TJ budget LCG prerunner (see profile)
2006 Chevy Trailblazer (EXT lift, Nth LJ 4.5" springs + Monroe rear coilovers, skinny 32)
1998 Dodge Durango (SuspMax & Roadmaster lifts, rear Truetrac, skinny 32)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in