• 1 Post By Pokey02
  • 2 Post By cranbiz
  • 1 Post By Prot

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-08-2019, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
AaronNathanielD

Question New Member, First Post, First Custom Order

Hey Jeepsters!

Just wanted to say hi and maybe get a few pieces of advice from the smartest vehicle-purchasers on the planet! A quick intro about me will tell you that my love of Jeeps was seeded from a wise old man when I was a teen in 1999. It led me to buy my first '99 Sport. I've owned one other TJ since and sadly had to part from it. I'm now a few days away from walking into a dealership and ordering a 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon for my wife and bringing the joy of Jeep ownership into her life (and back into mine when she's not using it ). I've attached the website build .pdf.

Were new Jeeps always so expensive? The build is ~$60k if you didn't look. I was going to seek financing through USAA, but all the dealers out here (Kelly, Rothrock, and Brown-Daub) said I have to go through their financing? I wanted to order straight from the manufacturer, but apparently that isn't a thing.

We spent a lot of time on researching and deciding about each upgrade and believe we're set with those (unless you have some knowledgeable insight on them). However, I'm new to custom orders, new to Pennsylvania, and semi-new to buying new cars. I've purchased one new vehicle from a dealership and got screwed with the financing and extended warranty. I'd prefer to not learn the hard way again, so I'm here!

I'd be grateful of any guidance. Thanks!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Custom Build.pdf (1.05 MB, 10 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-08-2019, 08:00 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I see NO reason why you need to use jeep financing, do the math.
USAA - veterans discount, interest rate VS dealer financing, discounts interest rate...

No reason to buy in PA. Any dealer will handle warranty post sale.
A thought google KOONs jeep in Va, they have online and MAYBE courtesy drop at a local dealer. We do that with our fleet vehicles.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-08-2019, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
AaronNathanielD

I would if I was a veteran. My parents are which is why I don't qualify. What is wrong with ordering in PA? Any dealer can order custom, right? Rothrock only requires $1k down and delivery is 4-8 weeks. Prefer to get it before the holidays.

post #4 of 11 Old 10-08-2019, 11:26 AM
Pokey02
2013 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Check out Criswell in Maryland - I ordered a new 2019 JLR and got 8% below dealer invoice with Tread Lightly. They were offering 7% below invoice without Tread Lightly. Koons will also sell for 7% below dealer invoice, but their documentation fee was higher than Criswell.

I flew up from Florida and drove the jeep home when it arrived at the dealership.
AaronNathanielD likes this.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-08-2019, 11:41 AM
Pokey02
2013 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronNathanielD View Post
I would if I was a veteran. My parents are which is why I don't qualify. What is wrong with ordering in PA? Any dealer can order custom, right? Rothrock only requires $1k down and delivery is 4-8 weeks. Prefer to get it before the holidays.
Nothing is wrong with ordering from a dealer in PA, but see if they will work with you on the price. Don't pay MSRP. You can get a few % below dealer invoice from the dealers in MD and VA.

My order had an MSRP of 53.5K, but I paid 46.2K. Shop around, you can get some okay deals. Also, my order took about 5 weeks.

19 JLR - Mopar 2" lift, 37" Copper STT Pros
13 10a JKUR - Metalcloak 2.5" lift
post #6 of 11 Old 10-09-2019, 09:18 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Those dealers are full of crap. You don't have to use their financing. You can use your own. They make a kickback when you use their financing, that's why they want you to use it.

I have used the dealers financing a couple of times, only because the terms and rate was better than my bank of choice but the last couple I used my own financing as I got a better loan term and rate.
tcass and AaronNathanielD like this.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #7 of 11 Old 10-16-2019, 10:18 PM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

No, new Jeeps were not always expensive. They used to be one of least expensive you could buy in that market segment/ category. The price started skyrocketing with the introduction of the JK and continued to climb with the JL.

In 1986, a basic Wrangler Base cost $8,995 MSRP.

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-17-2019, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
AaronNathanielD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
No, new Jeeps were not always expensive. They used to be one of least expensive you could buy in that market segment/ category. The price started skyrocketing with the introduction of the JK and continued to climb with the JL.

That's insane. My previous ones were '99 Sport and '00 Sahara in 2004 and 2010 for $12k each and both at about 40k miles. I couldn't find anything decent for under $30k now looking as far back as '10 models. I figured if I might as well get new and then the upgrade temptations took over. Ended up ordering one with practically every upgrade and only got them to go down to invoice at ~$55k. Gonna work her hard and make every penny worth it!

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Making the World a Better Place
post #9 of 11 Old 11-30-2019, 12:26 AM
MacK

2015 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:

I mean, a 2020 Base Wrangler has far better technology than a Wrangler in 1986. Also, inflation. You can't buy a new car for $8995. It's not like we are paying $50,000 for the same exact wrangler that sold for $8995 in 1986.

I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-30-2019, 12:50 AM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

I get that but relatively speaking, a Wrangler costs a lot more than many other vehicles. In the 80’s, a Wrangler costs a lot less than many other vehicles.

I think a maxed out JLU Rubicon is about $64,000.

I think of the price is in add ins and options. For example the Skytop or whatever the power top is is four grand. A Diesel engine is four grand and the transmission it requires is another two thousand.

Granted neither of those things are necessary but it just an example of how the price can add up.

I guess I am just nostalgic about the simplicity of the way things used to be.

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-30-2019, 08:48 AM
MacK

2015 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
I get that but relatively speaking, a Wrangler costs a lot more than many other vehicles. In the 80ís, a Wrangler costs a lot less than many other vehicles.

I think a maxed out JLU Rubicon is about $64,000.

I think of the price is in add ins and options. For example the Skytop or whatever the power top is is four grand. A Diesel engine is four grand and the transmission it requires is another two thousand.

Granted neither of those things are necessary but it just an example of how the price can add up.

I guess I am just nostalgic about the simplicity of the way things used to be.
Idk man, cars in general today are all expensive. I'm sure all the wonderful tariffs will help that price too.

I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in