New JL Wrangler Sahara - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 12-20-2019, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
berno56
2019 JK Wrangler 

Garage
New JL Wrangler Sahara

I bought a new JL in July and was quite excited with the Jeep. The power from the V6 sucks. Installed a Procharger with an oversized intercooler and now have a power band that is great. 323 RWHP vs 224 stock. My wife loved the old Spice Brown top color so we painted the top and is quite a nice color combo(original white on white) with the tan interior. This is our sixth Jeep in 40 years. Still have our 2007 Grand Cherokee that runs like a top.

I just had an incidence of the death wobble going down the highway last week. All of the tires were checked afterwards and were dead on 35PSI. Nothing appears to be loose in the front end. The JL only has about 4000 miles on it. I have read lots of the posts here and hear lots of differing opinions on causes. Tech Bulletins, ball joint torques, tire pressure and on and on. Does anyone have a read on the true cause? What will FCA do if I bring it to the dealer? Just give me lip service or truly try to correct the problem?

The concern is my wife driving the vehicle and having it happen to her.

The forum is great!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-20-2019, 08:39 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
any solid straight axle can do this, since they were invented. Considering IF the jeep is stock we can assume nothing is worn out and castor and toe is correct. I would suspect it is the tires are not balanced well or out of round. SO, tires first. In this case for sure. the really do need to be spot on ZERO'ed out.

Check all bolts at all links. track bar especially.

funny since 1942 jeeps all of them. this latest jeep is the quickest and fastest EVER made. far faster then any V8. 6I period CJ-JK. Ever. since you say you owned so many and my self have been a "jeeper" since 1975 that means to me Off road use. Perhaps a sports car would have served better? maybe a Hell cat Grand chero or what ever the sell?

adding that supercharger very well could void the power train warranty. If you added larger then stock tire to the stock jeep would be reason to make it slower.

That 35 psi is to much for the jeeps weight as well. Do the math and you will see.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old 12-21-2019, 08:09 AM
JIMBOX

2018 LJ Wrangler 

Doc is right--by installing the SC--you've VOIDED THE POWER TRAIN WARRANTY TOTALLY-

My SAHARA is PICTURE PERFECT--rotate your tires for the first check--see if that makes a difference-

The power for the v6/w the 8spd tranny is the greatest EVER-

What do you mean "nothing appears to be loose" ???

You have to have the BALL JOINTS TORQUE CHECKED --there are a lotta NON-TIGHTENED BALL JOINT cases-

the stock tire pressure should be between 30psi and 34 psi-

You're already in trouble if you have the dealer check the power train, so be careful-

Good luck

JIMBO

Firecracker Red 2dr RUBICON--2018
Stinger Yellow 2016 RAM/Hemi/8spd auto 4x4

--YA GOTTA HAVE CLASS--

post #4 of 14 Old 12-22-2019, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
berno56
2019 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Thanks for the reply. I haven't had a chance to check the ball joint torque. I will get to that once Santa leaves town. It surprised me when it happened at 70 MPH. It is entirely stock except for the Procharger. Voiding the Jeep powertrain warranty is not a concern.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-26-2019, 01:39 AM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

I bet your stock gear ratio is 3.21 and not 4.10, hence your perception of the power lacking.

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-03-2020, 11:46 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
I bet your stock gear ratio is 3.21 and not 4.10, hence your perception of the power lacking.
JL's don't have 3.21 gears, they come with 3.45, 3.73 or 4.10's.

OP, There is a recall out for the steering stabilizer on the JL's. Have you had the dealer look at the Jeep?

Hopefully, it's not drive train related as you now have 0 powertrain/drivetran warranty.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #7 of 14 Old 01-06-2020, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
berno56
2019 JK Wrangler 

Garage
This one has 3.45 gears from the window sticker. I did bring it in to the dealer for a rear window defroster issue and they did the recall replacement of the damper. Haven't put enough miles on it since to see if that corrects or eliminates the wobble. I am not concerned about the powertrain warranty-I have purchased a supplemental one through Procharger.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-07-2020, 07:24 AM
lujeansmith

Did the damper fix the wobble problem? Having the same issue with our 2019 Wrangler Unlimited JL.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-09-2020, 01:49 PM
Deserteagle56
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by berno56 View Post
323 RWHP vs 224 stock. My wife loved the old Spice Brown top color so we painted the top and is quite a nice color combo(original white on white) with the tan interior.
How did you manage to get a JL with a tan interior? One of the things I detest about my current Rubicon is the black interior but per Jeep black is all that is available!
post #10 of 14 Old 01-09-2020, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
berno56
2019 JK Wrangler 

Garage
So far so good on the wobble. Went up on top of the mesa's and did a fair amount of 4wd stuff this week. Back on the hiway it seems to be fine. As for the tan interior it is an option available and our dealer located one for us. Its just the seats, the rest of the interior is black.
post #11 of 14 Old 01-10-2020, 01:12 PM
Deserteagle56
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by berno56 View Post
As for the tan interior it is an option available and our dealer located one for us. Its just the seats, the rest of the interior is black.
Oh, OK. Don't care about the color of the seats - I always use seat covers so I can choose the color I want there. It's all those other black panels I want to get rid of...makes me feel like I'm in a tomb and at my age I'll be in a tomb soon enough! Loved the spice (tan) interior of my '98 TJ - made the interior feel more roomy than it was.
post #12 of 14 Old 01-10-2020, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
berno56
2019 JK Wrangler 

Garage
It would have been nice if the tan seats carried through to the door panels and dash, but we are happy with the look. We painted the top a 1993 Sahara Spice Brown.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-16-2020, 04:56 PM
VNT

2002 WJ 

What year Sahara? They did the recall and TSBS on a new steering stabilizer and track bar, have them sitting in my basement never installed. I have Steer Smarts track bar and Falcon Nexus 2.2 stabilizer and Northridge Grade 8 shoulder bolt kit. It is 18 non lifted and never had wobble but those upgrades make the steering better and the track bar is beefy and bolts will prevent wear in the sleeves in the bushings. I have another set to put on my Rubicon next spring once it warms up.

Are you concerned running boost on 11.3:1 compression, who does the tune?

How about some pics.

86 Daytona 00 Durango 02 WJ
05 PT GT 06 PT GT 06 PT
15 WK2 17 Challenger 18 Sahara 20 Rubicon
post #14 of 14 Old 02-10-2020, 12:06 AM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

A steering stabiliser does not cure Death Wobble, it only masks the problem.

All solid axle Jeeps suffer from a rythmic side to side pounding that is caused by looseness. The problem is that it is usually a combination of components that by themselves are not particularly loose ganging up on you. the steering bangs from left to right to left etc. A steering stabiliser can stop this but it is a sticking plaster.

The last one I cured was my 1995 Cherokee and it took months. All TRE, track bars etc and finally all ball joints. Every bit of rubber up[ front was replaced bit by bit. Now drives beautifully. Ball joint torque is possible. Tyre balance can set it off but is not usually the root cause. That and steering stabiliser have to be right but are secondary issues.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in