Mopar Wheel Locknut Removal - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-25-2019, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Jeepaddict
2018 LJ Wrangler 

Mopar Wheel Locknut Removal

I wanted to install my winter rims and tires yesterday onto my new Jeep after six months use. I rolled the new rims over to the Jeep after washing it and started to remove a wheel. The fourth nut was a mopar locknut, and i tried to loosen it with the key socket and a breaker bar. The Key socket engages with the nut face via a land carved onto the nut. The land sheared off cleanly.

The nut looks to be fabricated from three pieces, (edit: its two pieces..see later post). The nut is quite a bit longer than the regular nuts. The circumference is smooth, with a sleeve on the outside and the face with the carved slot looks to be pressed or welded onto the end of the nut.

I don't know if i can repair my socket to remove the other nuts.

Is there a tool available to remove them without damage to the wheels?

I don't know if the sleeve will just spin on the nut if i get a stud remover.

I don't know if welding a nut on the the metal on the face will hold a nut at all, or enough to loosen it.

I appreciate input from anyone who has recovered from this problem.

I will call a dealer, but it is tire season and they are swamped for a few weeks. I don't want my wheels damaged.

Last edited by Jeepaddict; 12-04-2019 at 10:44 PM. Reason: flag reader to get correct data in lower post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-25-2019, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Jeepaddict
2018 LJ Wrangler 

OK , I went out in the light of day and seen the locknut looks OK. The socket is the part that is destroyed. If I can get a replacement Socket, the nut might come off.....after I remove the other three wheels.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-26-2019, 09:45 AM
JIMBOX

2018 LJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't remove any more wheels--you may have to goto the deaLer/shop to have THAT wheel removed--

Good luck

JIMBO

Firecracker Red 2dr RUBICON--2018
Stinger Yellow 2016 RAM/Hemi/8spd auto 4x4

--YA GOTTA HAVE CLASS--

post #4 of 7 Old 11-26-2019, 09:46 AM
JIMBOX

2018 LJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't remove any more wheels--you may have to goto the dealer/shop to have THAT wheel removed--

Good luck

JIMBO

Firecracker Red 2dr RUBICON--2018
Stinger Yellow 2016 RAM/Hemi/8spd auto 4x4

--YA GOTTA HAVE CLASS--
post #5 of 7 Old 12-04-2019, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Jeepaddict
2018 LJ Wrangler 

OK, just an update.

The locking lug nut is made from two pieces. A cylinder with a flange on the end with the scrolled face is threaded internally and presses the wheel to the hub. The body of the Locking nut has a bushing wrapped around it to foil use of a gripping tool.

I assume if you drilled on the center line of the nut, you could make a hole the size of the thread all the way through the nut, and it would fall off.
I assume you could protect the wheel and weld something on the end of the nut to grip and loosen.
I have used both methods above in the past on old beater jeeps. I shouldn't have to do this on a six month old Jeep.

I went in to the local dealer after the service adviser told me on the phone that its not warranted and I should order a replacement socket at my expense.
I talked to the the service manager and he said my jeep has 45,000kms on it, and he has no record that I have rotated the tires every 8,000kms, as recommended in the maintenence schedule. He said the lug nut seized on because I neglected to follow the schedule. He saw I was pretty upset and said if i brought it in, they would try and take the nuts off with the master key. I booked it in to have the nuts removed.

I called him back a half hour later and said that I always buy a Factory Service Manual for my cars, and refer to the Maintenance schedule in the Manual, however, the people that sell the Service manual on USB or CD have been out of stock since I bought my Jeep six months ago, so I could not educate myself about the maintenence requirements. I asked if he could order me a Service manual right away. He put me on hold while he checked availability of a service manual, and then confirmed that it is not available. He said he would call Chrysler head office tomorrow to see how I can get a service manual.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-06-2019, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Jeepaddict
2018 LJ Wrangler 

The dealer removed the lock-nuts for free yesterday. I paid them to put the snow tires and rims on and use regular nuts.

I don't know if the wheels were damaged when they were removed because they bagged them and I haven't unloaded yet.

After telling me the lock-nuts were seized because I didn't rotate the tires on schedule, they told me that the lock-nuts were over-torqued, likely because the dealer I bought it from didn't want the wheels stolen. I didn't argue.

I suggest if you buy a wrangler, (especially with lock-nuts), you immediately re-torque the lug nuts, and rotate the tires on schedule.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-08-2019, 05:22 AM
tcass
2012 JK Wrangler 

first thing i did was have the dealer give me 5 x regular nuts to replace the lock nuts, didn't order them, didn't want themon the vehicle. i'm not worried about people pinching them....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in