In the market possibly - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 05-09-2019, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
MeatCurtains

2012 JK Wrangler 

In the market possibly

The JL has been out for a while and I'm looking for some feedback from the owners who have made the move from the JK or TJ.

Out side of propaganda garbage I want to know how these actually perform. Are they easy to modify, do they actually function off road, is the front axle disconnect reliable, is the new manual better than the older one. I'm lazy and when I do google searches I just find a bunch of sales pitch garbage and nothing getting down to are they worth my time.

This thing isn't going to MOAB or anything but it will spend its time off road. I want to know that I'm not going to be stranded in the middle of the woods because this thing crapped the bed. I've also been informed they don't all have a D44 rear end, its an option. What is the option I would need to order if I need it and what is the non D44 axle.

The biggest tires this will see is MAYBE 35x12.5 but 33x12.5 is nearly for sure. Will I need a lift for it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 05-09-2019, 05:43 PM
JIMBOX

2018 LJ Wrangler 

If you order/get a RUBICON/auto, you'll get the NEW ZF(based0 8-spd/W manual controls and the best auto you've ever driven--

If you get the NEW 6-spd stick--it's one of the smoothest and shortest throw stick, jeep has ever put out/w the REVERSE a convenient close proximity to 1st gear--

The NEW DANA 44'S are the best EVER and you can immediately slap on 35" tires/wheels, because that's what she's designed for---

You will have more engine choices than ever before and the 3.6L PENTASTAR is pretty much the same/w different trannies !

I'm happy with both the RUBICON/SAHARA and wouldn't go back to the JK !

Good luck

JIMBO

Firecracker Red 2dr RUBICON--2018
Stinger Yellow 2016 RAM/Hemi/8spd auto 4x4

--YA GOTTA HAVE CLASS--
post #3 of 25 Old 05-09-2019, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
MeatCurtains

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
If you order/get a RUBICON/auto, you'll get the NEW ZF(based0 8-spd/W manual controls and the best auto you've ever driven--

If you get the NEW 6-spd stick--it's one of the smoothest and shortest throw stick, jeep has ever put out/w the REVERSE a convenient close proximity to 1st gear--

The NEW DANA 44'S are the best EVER and you can immediately slap on 35" tires/wheels, because that's what she's designed for---

You will have more engine choices than ever before and the 3.6L PENTASTAR is pretty much the same/w different trannies !

I'm happy with both the RUBICON/SAHARA and wouldn't go back to the JK !

Good luck

JIMBO
Thanks for the reply but this really glossed over some of my questions.

I am extremely skeptical about the axle disconnect. Its similar to the one on my brothers truck and that thing has been nothing but trouble, he has cracked the collet more than once and now it just doesn't even function. I'd really like to avoid that. I have zero faith in Chryslers ability to source an automatic transmission as well, my faith in ZF is also pretty low. So I'm glad to hear the 6 speed is an improvement as well.

So, what exactly has the 44. I was told that the non rubicons come with 2 rear axle options, and one of them is the 44. What option gets the 44 in the rear? What is the axle that is not the 44?

I'm just not interested in the Rubicon. I want a Jeep with the least amount of superfluous crap installed like touch screen radios, navigation, internet, power windows, power seats, automatic sway bars, stickers, fancy hoods, e-lockers, winches, magical BJ providers, etc. None of it humors me, if I want lockers I'll go get ARB's or something, and a set of swaybar disconnects are cheap as dirt.

post #4 of 25 Old 05-09-2019, 06:28 PM
JIMBOX

2018 LJ Wrangler 

--Sorry--I can't help you !

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatCurtains View Post
Thanks for the reply but this really glossed over some of my questions.

I am extremely skeptical about the axle disconnect. Its similar to the one on my brothers truck and that thing has been nothing but trouble, he has cracked the collet more than once and now it just doesn't even function. I'd really like to avoid that. I have zero faith in Chryslers ability to source an automatic transmission as well, my faith in ZF is also pretty low. So I'm glad to hear the 6 speed is an improvement as well.

So, what exactly has the 44. I was told that the non rubicons come with 2 rear axle options, and one of them is the 44. What option gets the 44 in the rear? What is the axle that is not the 44?

I'm just not interested in the Rubicon. I want a Jeep with the least amount of superfluous crap installed like touch screen radios, navigation, internet, power windows, power seats, automatic sway bars, stickers, fancy hoods, e-lockers, winches, magical BJ providers, etc. None of it humors me, if I want lockers I'll go get ARB's or something, and a set of swaybar disconnects are cheap as dirt.
W.E.

JIMBO

--YA GOTTA HAVE CLASS--
post #5 of 25 Old 05-09-2019, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
MeatCurtains

2012 JK Wrangler 

Well, thanks for the reply. I'm looking to get 2 of these and honestly I'm half sold on getting a JK. I'm familiar with the platform and its performance. I just really would like to have some sort of warranty at least for a little while.
post #6 of 25 Old 05-09-2019, 06:43 PM
JIMBOX

2018 LJ Wrangler 

2018 is the last JK that you can get and the JL has multiple improvements over the JK and you can get the SAME WARRANTY on the JL as the JK-

You should go to your nearest/friendliest dealer and drive a ne SPORT S/SAHARA--

Good luck

JIMBO

--YA GOTTA HAVE CLASS--
post #7 of 25 Old 05-09-2019, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
MeatCurtains

2012 JK Wrangler 

Yeah I've found a few new 18's floating around, and several used ones.

It doesn't seem like there is many improvements unless creature comforts are your thing. A dana 35 rear, 3 piece front axle, etc. Maybe for some people that kind of thing is really important, I just don't understand it. I'm going to go drive a few tomorrow if I can find one with a manual. Seems they are tough to come by.
post #8 of 25 Old 05-09-2019, 07:02 PM
JIMBOX

2018 LJ Wrangler 

If you find a JL with a stick, you'll really like it--you should try driving one with the 8-spd AUTO, I've had my RAM/HEMI/8-spd, for almost three years and my 2018 SAHARA/8-spd feels identical to it/w both having optional manual gear shift at will--

All of the DANA 44's are NEW/IMPROVED/W different ring/pinioN/brgs and axles/w stronger "C" design/welds--

The RUBICON has many major improvements over the JK RUBICON (I've had both--

Good luck

JIMBO

--YA GOTTA HAVE CLASS--
post #9 of 25 Old 05-09-2019, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
MeatCurtains

2012 JK Wrangler 

I know the new 44 is greatly improved, my question is more what vehicles have it. Not all of the Jeeps have a 44 rear from what Ive been told, some have a 35 and you have to purchase the option for the 44 but I can't find that option. Its quite irritating for me.

I'm pretty fired up about getting back into a Jeep. Every time I buy one I hate my life because its always broken, but after its gone I wish I never sold it.
post #10 of 25 Old 05-09-2019, 07:19 PM
JIMBOX

2018 LJ Wrangler 

The RUBICON HAS the most ADVANCED DANA 44'S--FRONT/REAR/W LOCKERS--

The SAHARA has the DANA 30 FRONT/DANA 44 REAR and the SPORT comes with the DANA 30 FRONT/DANA 35 REAR-

I'm not sure of the SPORT S, but I think it has the DANA 30 FRONT/W DANA 44 REAR--I'm not sure though-

The RUBICON VS SAHARA-is like the CORVETTE VS IMPALA-

-JIMBO

--YA GOTTA HAVE CLASS--
post #11 of 25 Old 05-09-2019, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
MeatCurtains

2012 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, nobody knows and the dealership I called earlier couldn't answer the question either.

I could probably survive fine with the 35 and 33s. I don't really need much tire, in the past I've found for the places I go the 33 works plenty well and gives more room for axle movement on a smaller lift. I guess I'll be back tomorrow and update with what I find from the dealership.
post #12 of 25 Old 05-09-2019, 07:39 PM
JIMBOX

2018 LJ Wrangler 

I spent years /w 33" HANKOOK DYNAPROS on my '08 JKUR-

--35's on the JL RUBICON

And I'll stick with 33's on the SAHARA--I've only had the SAHARA for a couple weeks, I haven't changed the tires/wheels yet !

Owning a JEEP is like SMOKING/DRINKING--ya just can't quit !

JIMBO

--YA GOTTA HAVE CLASS--
post #13 of 25 Old 05-10-2019, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
MeatCurtains

2012 JK Wrangler 

Yeah i get it. I've got my eyes on another XJ but this one is going to need to do some trail duty and be my daily driver. It's nice to not have to worry about things breaking and me being on the hook for the repair. Jeep is a love hate relationship for me. I love them the whole time I hate owning it.
post #14 of 25 Old 05-10-2019, 07:44 AM
WXman
2020 J-Series Truck 

The new D44 Advantek axle isn't what I'd call "greatly improved". It does have some improvements such as lower rotating mass and thicker tubes, but it also has some drawbacks such as crappy ball bearings in the pinion and a history of making odd noises when used with a suspension lift. The ring and pinion are smaller, but officially Dana said it's "8% stronger".

I have had all the Wranglers except the TJ. The axle disconnect on the old models is nothing like the axle disconnect on the JL. The JL seems far more reliable so far. I still don't like knowing it's there, but so far I've had no trouble.

My only complaint overall is the horrible JLU seating position. It's noticeably smaller and tighter on the inside. Not comfy for long trips like the JKU was.

Reliability has been stellar mechanically, but only average electrically. I've had several software flashes to try and fix electrical/computer issues. But from a driveline/body/chassis standpoint this JLU has been rock solid. I've got 15,000 miles on mine.

Current Jeep: '18 JLUS

Prior Jeeps/trucks/cars: Too many to list
post #15 of 25 Old 05-10-2019, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
MeatCurtains

2012 JK Wrangler 

I've read the jlu has some steering weirdness as well. I don't have much interest in the 4 door. It's nearly impossible to get a taco through some of the places i go and the smaller 2door is more than enough for me and my 2 dogs.

I'm not too concerned about the smaller stuff being weaker, some new alloys are ignorantly tough but I will keep that in mind when i go shopping after work today.

The electrical issues are really concerning though. What kind of issues have you been having?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in