Just got my 5th Jeep. 2020 Rubicon Unlimited. Quick steering related question - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 10-02-2019, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Woodbridge

Question Just got my 5th Jeep. 2020 Rubicon Unlimited. Quick steering related question

Hi all,

Just joined here. Looking forward to great conversations with all. Just bought a totally loaded 2020 Rubicon Unlimited Sting Gray. 51 miles all total so far LOL. This particular JL came equipped with the optional machined lip wheels and Wildpeak tires.

I know some 2018/19 Jl's had some steering wandering or required more than usual steering correction to keep it between the lanes, kinda assumed FCA addressed this by the 2020 models but I'm thinking not....I have verified that I have 37 PSI cold in all four tires per the door jamb label. My JL doesn't pull left or right, steering wheel is straight when driving on uncrowned flat road but there's quite a bit of 12 o'clock correction needed.

1. Was the steering issue "officially" addressed and corrected?

2. Would a Fox steering stabilizer fix this?

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-03-2019, 07:48 AM
JIMBOX

2018 LJ Wrangler 

After driving off-road vehicles for over 65 years, I've found that NO SOLID AXLE FRONT vehicle will steer stability AS GOOD AS IFS !

The easiest thing you can do is drop the tires air pressure to 33 psi and that will PROBABLY not cause your TPMS ALARM--and will increase your USUAL STABILITY--

Grin and bear it-

Good luck

W.E.

Firecracker Red 2dr RUBICON--2018
Stinger Yellow 2016 RAM/Hemi/8spd auto 4x4

--YA GOTTA HAVE CLASS--
post #3 of 15 Old 10-03-2019, 10:31 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

New tires can be a little squirrely until they settle in. With only 51 miles on the clock, I'd give it another 50 miles or so of normal driving and see if things improve.
https://www.discounttire.com/learn/b...g-in-new-tires

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon

post #4 of 15 Old 10-04-2019, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Woodbridge

Thanks a ton guys, watching it carefully. 62 miles total now
post #5 of 15 Old 02-27-2020, 07:55 AM
Jcpstrat
2020 JK Wrangler 

I've now got just over a 1000 miles on my JL Wrangler Sport that I picked up in January. I've lowered tire pressure and had it back to the dealer and they checked all the steering components and alignment and their final verdict was it normal for a Wrangler. Gave me all that BS about the short wheelbase too. I reminded them that I traded in a 2000 Wrangler Sahara with 140,000 and it had no play in the steering. My wife's 2015 Cherokee has no play in steering. From day 1 this JL has about 1/4" to 1/2" side to side play while going down the freeway that requires constant correction to keep it going straight. The dealership had another JL on the showroom floor and it had more play in mine. I love everything else about the 2020 Wrangler Sport but this steering issue ruin's it for me. I really nailed them on the Jeep Survey they gave me about not addressing this issue and just got a msg on my phone yesterday from them asking to talk to me about it. I'll let you know what they say if I can get connected with them today. John

1967 Corvette Coupe
2015 Cherokee Latitude
2020 Wrangler Sport
post #6 of 15 Old 02-27-2020, 08:16 AM
JIMBOX

2018 LJ Wrangler 

What is your front tire pressure NOW--COLD ??

JIMBO

--YA GOTTA HAVE CLASS--
post #7 of 15 Old 02-27-2020, 08:54 AM
Jcpstrat
2020 JK Wrangler 

In my garage that's at 62oF, tire pressures are 35#. I did get to talk with the Customer Care person that left me a phone message who said they noticed I rated everything else on my new Wrangler Sport highly except for the steering. I went through the whole issue, what the dealer checked and said. They said I could file a complaint with the NHTSA and I said I already did after dealer couldn't find anything they could do for me. Bottom line is the guy said he was going to document everything I told him and forward it on but I'm not holding my breath on this ... will see if anything happens.

1967 Corvette Coupe
2015 Cherokee Latitude
2020 Wrangler Sport
post #8 of 15 Old 02-27-2020, 09:46 AM
JIMBOX

2018 LJ Wrangler 

Well, 35psi is pretty normal and you can go down to32/33, without alarming your TPMS(?)--

I've always kept my jeep tires at 30/32 and that allows the SIDEWALLS to FLEX MORE LATERALLY without influencing the tire rod, which affects the STEERING BOC/WHEEL-, BUT-

I always change the stock tires/wheels and don't use the JEEPS TPMS system--

My '18 SAHARA has relatively tight steering--not quite as good as my RAM rack-pinion, but pretty good anyway-

Good luck

JIMBO

--YA GOTTA HAVE CLASS--
post #9 of 15 Old 02-27-2020, 11:07 AM
Jcpstrat
2020 JK Wrangler 

Thanks Jimbo ... I can understand how tires & pressure could be a cause but with engine off and steering wheel centered and I can rock the steering wheel back and for 1/4" to a 1/2" in each direction without effecting any change in the output shaft of steering box ... that sure seems to be like a steering box that isn't setup correctly. The same amount of play is there whether then engine is on or off and at any speed as far as I can tell.

I did get a 2nd phone message from Jeep Customer Care and when called I got someone else who basically did the same thing as the 1st person I interacted with. Just 10 minutes ago I got an email which I also responded to but haven't got to talk to the actual person who has left 2 messages and now sent me an email.

1967 Corvette Coupe
2015 Cherokee Latitude
2020 Wrangler Sport
post #10 of 15 Old 03-06-2020, 09:54 PM
moncrieffj

I mentioned the steering looseness to the salesman and he said the tires were over services as verified by the tire monitoring system. When we picked it up he said he had the tires lowered to 37psi, but on the drive home the problem was still there. Now I read all these complaints about the steering and I can't help but think maybe the salesman new of the issues. This is my first wrangler so i have no past experience to go by. i will be taking this issue up with the dealer. Has anyone installed any after market parts that seems to help. My JL has 23 miles on it and I'm very disturbed by this.
post #11 of 15 Old 03-08-2020, 07:54 AM
JIMBOX

2018 LJ Wrangler 

Have you read any of the posts ???

37 lbs,is MAXIMUM and WAY TO HIGH---lower to 33 psi and drive over same areas and see f you notice a difference !

Good luck

JIMBO

--YA GOTTA HAVE CLASS--
post #12 of 15 Old 03-23-2020, 07:45 PM
f8tlfiveo

I feel like mine did it when I first bought it. But I have 800 miles and I donít recall it now. Maybe I am just used to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13 of 15 Old 03-23-2020, 08:29 PM
Jcpstrat
2020 JK Wrangler 

I've now got 1,500 miles on my JL Wrangler Sport with no improvement in the wandering. I've responded to phone messages that Customer Care left me and each time I have never been connected back to the person who left the message about my issue. The last time they sent me an email but it came back as not being able to be received when I replied to it. For me Customer Care is a joke, they pretend like they're trying to help but nothing ever happens. This isn't my first Jeep but it will be my last. The wandering issue ruins the whole driving experience for me. Really disappointed in this Jeep.

1967 Corvette Coupe
2015 Cherokee Latitude
2020 Wrangler Sport
post #14 of 15 Old 03-24-2020, 09:39 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Try sending a PM to @JeepCares

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #15 of 15 Old 03-24-2020, 02:08 PM
TrailTrooper575

I have over 6k miles on my 2020 JLU Sport and the steering is AWFUL!! I have had 3 other jeeps prior to this and the steering had never had this much play. There were a few occasions that it was just down right dangerous.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in