JL Alignment - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 09-14-2021, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Zeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
JL Alignment

My wife's Jl seems to need constant steering correction. I feel, from what I know about alignment, that the caster is slightly off. Is the caster adjustable on the JL?

JEEP THE AR-15 OF THE AUTOMOTIVE WORLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-14-2021, 08:57 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

What year JL? What are you running the tire pressure at?

Slightly over inflated tires will cause that and there is also a TSB on the earlier JL's for wandering steering.

02 WJ Laredo, heavily optioned but stock
12 JK, 3.5" Teraflex/Franken lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #3 of 16 Old 09-15-2021, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Zeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
2021 JL. I lowered PSI to 36, could not feel any difference. Their is so much on this thing I'm unfamiliar with.
3 coolant tanks, hydraulic over electric steering I believe. And everything is so cramped together, unlike my LJR!

post #4 of 16 Old 09-26-2021, 03:28 PM
cobra2001

I lowered mine to 32 psi. It helped a bit but still not happy with it. My 2018 drove way better than this 2021. Thinking about changing lower control arms as suggested by another person on a different forum that said it fixed his. Mopar #68322798AA. Still doing some research on it.

2021 Jeep JLU Sahara White, 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited [ on order]
post #5 of 16 Old 09-27-2021, 09:45 PM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

Make sure it has the cast iron steering box. Since it is a 2021, it should. Previously, they used an aluminum steering gear box. It was problematic and is easily identified by its silver color. The cast iron one is black.

Replacing the lower control arms with the Mopar ones which are inexpensive. They are typically used with the mopar lift but people have reported big improvement by using them with the stock suspension.

Come down on your tire pressure some more. Do the chalk test.

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
post #6 of 16 Old 09-28-2021, 07:16 AM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
I guess I’m lucky, mu 2020 JLU steers fine. It steered fine @37PSI on the stock wheels & tires with no lift. It steers fine on the Mopar 2” lift and 30 PSI in my 35’s. I’ve been thinking about bumping them up to 32PSI to see if it will effect my MPG on the freeway.

It would be nice to get back one of eleven MPG back, that I lost from the lift & tires.

Why do I own a CJ? I like to “Balance the wrench and the steering wheel”
1985 CJ-7 Sebring Red, White hardtop, 284 CID inline six (4.7) TF 999 auto
2020 JLU Black, Black hardtop, EcoDiesel, 35’s on 2” Mopar lift
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #7 of 16 Old 09-28-2021, 05:16 PM
cobra2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
Make sure it has the cast iron steering box. Since it is a 2021, it should. Previously, they used an aluminum steering gear box. It was problematic and is easily identified by its silver color. The cast iron one is black.

Replacing the lower control arms with the Mopar ones which are inexpensive. They are typically used with the mopar lift but people have reported big improvement by using them with the stock suspension.

Come down on your tire pressure some more. Do the chalk test.
I guess i could lower it more but i think the low pressure warning comes on at 30 psi

post #8 of 16 Old 09-28-2021, 05:47 PM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra2001 View Post
I guess i could lower it more but i think the low pressure warning comes on at 30 psi
My reply was to the OP who is still at 36 psi.

post #9 of 16 Old 09-28-2021, 06:55 PM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Use the Tazer Mini to reset the threshold for the low PSI warning light.
cranbiz likes this.

Why do I own a CJ? I like to “Balance the wrench and the steering wheel”
1985 CJ-7 Sebring Red, White hardtop, 284 CID inline six (4.7) TF 999 auto
2020 JLU Black, Black hardtop, EcoDiesel, 35’s on 2” Mopar lift
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #10 of 16 Old 09-30-2021, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Zeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
I don't drive it as much as the wife does, but I believe the pressure warning is at 32 or 33 psi.
I have had it lower than 36, with no perceivable difference. This Jeep is still new to us. Only 4500 miles.
Replacing control arms, and steering boxes seems extreme. Still no answer to caster question in first post!

post #11 of 16 Old 09-30-2021, 10:50 AM
cobra2001

I don't see any way to adjust the camber without installing adjustable lower control arms. If i'm wrong someone will correct me. My jeep has only 1000 miles. I have ordered the lower control arms to install. They are cheep, hope it fixes it.

post #12 of 16 Old 09-30-2021, 11:59 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeep View Post
I don't drive it as much as the wife does, but I believe the pressure warning is at 32 or 33 psi.
I have had it lower than 36, with no perceivable difference. This Jeep is still new to us. Only 4500 miles.
Replacing control arms, and steering boxes seems extreme. Still no answer to caster question in first post!
well have you stated the caster angle? JK world that can vary and be nominal. as you lift it that caster number goes up since it can be say -5 0r more.

only thing you can adjust stock is toe, lift wont change a Jks toe. I have never had a alignment on a jeep. it can all be done with common tools. Tape measure and a angle finder app on any phone today that is free.

i assume its stock?..... and say P tires street. 34 may be low as you need. if say a 12.5 wide tire would need much less on most wheels.

Jl does have that E box steering. so i am not sure how much of that is more a program??.
Replacing that for what? stock is the same. PSC tends to be for those turning 37+ in rocks. Cost some $$$$, well made. makes stock look the junk it is.......cost as much or more them many spend of lifts..I have it on my JK for rocks. or stock would do really for a DD.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 16 Old 10-03-2021, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Zeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
I appreciate all of the input from everybody. Thanks! Lower tire pressure seems to improve things a bit.
Thinking the Tazer is the way to go, to lower TPMS threshold.
I don't think this Jeep may ever even see a lift. The wife wanted back in a convertible, and a four season vehicle is the only option in Michigan.

post #14 of 16 Old 10-04-2021, 12:08 AM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

I mentioned replacing the steering box because there is a TSB that specifies replacing the aluminum steering box with the revised one which is made out of cast iron and there zero out of pocket expense associated with this. What you need to do simply crawl under the Jeep and look to see if it is silver or black. If it is silver, go to the dealer and they will replace it. If it is black then that’s fine and there is no need to replace it.

The control arms I mentioned are a mopar part and are longer than stock and therefore address the caster problem while maintaining warranty.

There is also a TSB for the programming which affects steering feel, so it would not be a bad idea to have the dealer verify you have the latest version of the software.

The reason for replacing the control arms is because they are not adjustable. The mopar lower control arms meant for the mopar lift are not adjustable either but are longer and therefore address the caster. They are inexpensive.

post #15 of 16 Old 10-16-2021, 01:54 PM
Miami_Son
2018 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
I mentioned replacing the steering box because there is a TSB that specifies replacing the aluminum steering box with the revised one which is made out of cast iron and there zero out of pocket expense associated with this. What you need to do simply crawl under the Jeep and look to see if it is silver or black. If it is silver, go to the dealer and they will replace it. If it is black then that’s fine and there is no need to replace it.

The control arms I mentioned are a mopar part and are longer than stock and therefore address the caster problem while maintaining warranty.

There is also a TSB for the programming which affects steering feel, so it would not be a bad idea to have the dealer verify you have the latest version of the software.

The reason for replacing the control arms is because they are not adjustable. The mopar lower control arms meant for the mopar lift are not adjustable either but are longer and therefore address the caster. They are inexpensive.
Does this pertain to any specific years/models? Just picked up a 2018 JL and the steering feels loose and drifty.

Prior-86 CJ7|89 Cherokee|96 Grand Cherokee|15 Grand Cherokee
Current-18 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in