How Good is the JL? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 02-26-2020, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
LuthWJ77

Garage
How Good is the JL?

I know most forums are about fixing problems and these are fairly new still but I'm surprised there's so little traffic on this particular forum. I keep reading articles and watching videos and the JL seems to get rave reviews overall and that it's much better than the JL. Curious what current owners are thinking especially people who traded a JK for a JL. Kind of want one but rather than buy a Rubi I'm thinking go base and build it with aftermarket axles etc. Is the JL that much better than the JK? If my plan is to buy a slightly used one for $30k or less for example is it worth waiting for another year to get the JL or just get a JK now?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-27-2020, 06:57 AM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

It still has growing pains. When I read about broken welds and stuff like that I think WTF

Maybe my attitude stems from the horrible experience of my piece of crap 2007 JKU that I bought new which was by far the worst vehicle I ever owned.

My 2014 JKU is the exact opposite of what my 2007 JKU was.

That’s what makes me skeptical of first generation JLU. That and the aforementioned problems which while not widespread, is enough to not risk getting a bad one.

I stayed up many late nights thinking about driving my 2007 JKU off a cliff.

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
post #3 of 19 Old 02-27-2020, 08:40 AM
JIMBOX

2018 LJ Wrangler 

No matter what vehicle you buy--there's good/bad problems--

My 2018 Dodge RAM 1500-HEMI/8SPD AUTO, is TOTALLY THE BEST pickup, I'VE EVER OWNED-(12) and this 2018 JLU SAHARA/8spd auto-is TOTALLY the best JEEP I've ever owned (7)--

The gas mileage/performance/4wd/speed/gear control is SUPERIOR to any of my previous jeeps/off-road vehicles-

Take a chance !

Good luck

JIMBO-

Firecracker Red 2dr RUBICON--2018
Stinger Yellow 2016 RAM/Hemi/8spd auto 4x4

--YA GOTTA HAVE CLASS--

post #4 of 19 Old 02-27-2020, 08:48 AM
CheaperJeeperTV

2018 LJ Wrangler 

I'm relatively new to the Jeep community. I've owned my JL since may 2018, and have almost 60,000 miles on it. I studied the JK vs JL when it was time to purchase and determined the JL was the way to go on so many levels.

Last edited by cranbiz; 02-27-2020 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Remove links to personal YouTube channel.
post #5 of 19 Old 02-27-2020, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
LuthWJ77

Garage
For sure reliability is part of the equation and I know the first batches of JLs had the weld issues and a few other things. I'm more curious about the things people are talking about like fit and finish, ride quality, how good the 8 speed is behind the 3.6, that it just feels like noticeably better package are the things I keep reading about and seeing on youtube reviews. These people are being compensated in one way or another I would assume in most cases and have a bias. Real world believes the same thing or just hype?
post #6 of 19 Old 02-27-2020, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
LuthWJ77

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
No matter what vehicle you buy--there's good/bad problems--

My 2018 Dodge RAM 1500-HEMI/8SPD AUTO, is TOTALLY THE BEST pickup, I'VE EVER OWNED-(12) and this 2018 JLU SAHARA/8spd auto-is TOTALLY the best JEEP I've ever owned (7)--

The gas mileage/performance/4wd/speed/gear control is SUPERIOR to any of my previous jeeps/off-road vehicles-

Take a chance !

Good luck

JIMBO-
Thanks Jimbox I know you know you're stuff so this is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for.
post #7 of 19 Old 02-27-2020, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
LuthWJ77

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheaperJeeperTV View Post
I'm relatively new to the Jeep community. I've owned my JL since may 2018, and have almost 60,000 miles on it. I studied the JK vs JL when it was time to purchase and determined the JL was the way to go on so many levels. I've even launched a YouTube channel with an episode addressing the JK vs JL question... plus more. Check it out if you're still on the fence. CheaperJeeperTV
Ok thanks for the feedback I'll check out your videos.
post #8 of 19 Old 02-27-2020, 11:41 AM
CheaperJeeperTV

2018 LJ Wrangler 

Also, I have the 8sp Auto and the 3.6L engine. I am new to Jeep, and I am VERY impressed with the engine and transmission performance. My wife told me she expected the Jeep to be a little rougher than our experience. All told, the fit and finish is very nice. I have leather seats in my Sahara JL. The refresh of the JL makes it a little more refined than the JK in all ways, including fit and finish I believe. I have read, although I haven't done any serious offloading, the JL is even more capable. The handling, for me in mine anyway, is very good. My shared comments here are of course my opinion based on my experience. I am in no way compensated by Jeep or anyone, but I AM open to the notion....I'm just sayin'....
post #9 of 19 Old 02-27-2020, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
LuthWJ77

Garage
Professional Jeep tester does have a nice ring to it. Should've thought of that before I grew up and got boring real job. I should've stated I had a 2012 JKU and liked it a lot. I feel that was the first wrangler model that was civil enough to be a DD and it was mine for 3 years then I just needed a truck in the family so traded it. Since then my little WJ has me in love with wheeling all over again going to my second jamboree this year with it but it certainly has limitations the wranglers don't namely aftermarket support. I think I'd be totally stoked to have a 2017 sport JK on dynatracks geared and locked blissfully never knowing that the JL could've been that much better. Or that the JL Rubicon will do everything the vehicle I just stated will do, in comfort, driven across the country and back to do it, and with little more than a small lift and some tires. Rubicon is certainly more of an upfront investment but not by that much when you add it all up. I think what I'm hearing is the JL really is a significant improvement on the JK so it's worth waiting a bit and starting with that one to either build upon or just bite the bullet and get a Rubi.
post #10 of 19 Old 02-27-2020, 01:33 PM
CheaperJeeperTV

2018 LJ Wrangler 

I think you are right. In fact the more I learn about Wranglers, and the more I'm using mine, the more I wish I gotten the Rubicon over the Sahara. The Selec Trac option available on the Sahara I thought was necessary for the Hwy driving I do to go up north in winter.
post #11 of 19 Old 02-27-2020, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
LuthWJ77

Garage
Just depends what you're using the Jeep for. I'd say for most people the Rubi capabilities are far beyond what they'll actually do with it. It's most likely the case for any model for that matter as they are all capable off road. I'd say wheel that Sahara some most likely just some more aggressive tires maybe a small lift is all you'll ever need to go anywhere you want in it.
post #12 of 19 Old 02-27-2020, 03:05 PM
CheaperJeeperTV

2018 LJ Wrangler 

I haven't investigated this too much, but how far apart , in dollars roughly, would I be from a Rubicon, after I put on a lift on my Sahara, and get bigger tires to be like a Rubicon...hm..That would be cool to figure out. Too late for me now, as I'm not buying anything, but it would be a good thing to know.
post #13 of 19 Old 02-27-2020, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
LuthWJ77

Garage
To just add the parts that matter to me like locked Dana 44 front and rear would cost you about $8k alone to purchase from Dynatrak for example. Lift and tires sky is the limit depending on what you want. My total shopping list is about $15k if I got a used JK which is why I wanted it less than $30k. I'd be a little cheaper than a stock Rubi with similar capabilities off-road if not better and already geared for 37s.
post #14 of 19 Old 02-29-2020, 09:59 AM
TheBoogieman
Coronavirus survivor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Buy a Gladiator Rubicon or nothing. Save an extra $10,000 to lift it correctly with 35s. Only a $70,000+ investment. Now I know why I love TJs and XJs. Serious offroad Jeeps BUILT for a 10th of the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/Black Magic brakes. ***SOLD*** for Covid-19 pandemic rent money. :(
99' XJ /4.0L-AW4/ 5.5" lift / Rancho RS5000X shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #15 of 19 Old 02-29-2020, 10:17 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Buy a new/udes JL to then replace everything? If you want a real off road vehicle for that kind of money buy a used buggy. No matter how much you spend on the JL it will never even come close to the other.

Why go with any d44 of any type?? If the Rubi is not enough for you? the best built d44 is nothing close to stock d60 for the front. Rear everyone i wheel with at this point that builds a heep is going D60/14 bolt for say 40s +. the other axles would be a total waist of money. cost to make One ton full width JK/JL the axles, full hydro steering< ever drive one? wont be a good DD. will cost you more then 30k the Jl cost. even if you did all the work. 4 linking, flat belly etc gets into huge money.....just get a buggy..... both will need a trailer and tow rig anyway..

or is it more a Bro jeep, maller?

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in