LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 25 Old 04-07-2021, 04:25 PM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2020 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saaouji9 View Post
I am under the category of you don't draw unless you are going to fire rule.
I agree. But when my alarm triggered and I went out to investigate my fire arm was in my back pocket (legal on my property but must be in a holster - concealed or open - when carrying elsewhere) - when I surprised him as he was rummaging through my jeep cargo area - he came up and started towards me. I have had several neck surgeries and injuries (same thing that made me give up the rock crawling) so there was absolutely NO "fight like a man" involved - I ain't taking a punch even though when I was younger I kinda enjoyed a good fight a bit too much so yes I was ready to fire at that point - in defense of my self not the Jeep... And once he was looking down the barrel he went down to the ground and I was NOT going to un hold and allow him to attack me.

But I hear ya - those fine points of when and where to draw are all things you consider BEFORE you decide to carry.

Prot likes this.

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
The wagon should, of course, be as light as possible, but strength should not be sacrificed to lightness, for on any but the regularly traveled roads, the wagon will get many a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 Old 04-08-2021, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
moparcruiser
2020 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklastinger View Post
I have both and just gave me a piece of mind.

I ended up doing both as well.

The BOLT is awesome! We are leasing so really I wont be able to remove/reuse due to the "key once" thing. But the price was excellent compared to other similar options and I'll just look at the $117 as an insurance policy for the lease term. If we buy it out, we have it. If not, we give it up. No worries.

Went with the mopar branded stant cap with its own key...inexpensive and works. My wife hates the same cap on my Ram due to the fuel compartment being recessed.....hopefully she wont mind the cap on the Jeep.

Also put on McGard wheel locks on all five wheels.

And I ended up with Bushwhacker door sill/rocker panel guards...got the, for a STEAL on ebay for $60!!!! They sell for $100 more than that so I couldnt pass them up...crossed my fingers the ebayer was legit and it was!

They look great and will keep the sills and rockers from degrading. At the end of the lease they can be removed and reused.

It has been like xmas lately with all the UPS and fedex boxes. LOL

Alas, out of boxes to open now. LOL
jwmbishop likes this.
post #18 of 25 Old 04-08-2021, 11:42 AM
jklastinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparcruiser View Post
I ended up doing both as well.

The BOLT is awesome! We are leasing so really I wont be able to remove/reuse due to the "key once" thing. But the price was excellent compared to other similar options and I'll just look at the $117 as an insurance policy for the lease term. If we buy it out, we have it. If not, we give it up. No worries.

Went with the mopar branded stant cap with its own key...inexpensive and works. My wife hates the same cap on my Ram due to the fuel compartment being recessed.....hopefully she wont mind the cap on the Jeep.

Also put on McGard wheel locks on all five wheels.

And I ended up with Bushwhacker door sill/rocker panel guards...got the, for a STEAL on ebay for $60!!!! They sell for $100 more than that so I couldnt pass them up...crossed my fingers the ebayer was legit and it was!

They look great and will keep the sills and rockers from degrading. At the end of the lease they can be removed and reused.

It has been like xmas lately with all the UPS and fedex boxes. LOL

Cool. I like the bolt locks and have one for the hitch too. I did the mopar one I had to key, which is a little time consuming, but like having it keyed so I donít have any extra keys. I have an electronic lock at my house, so only really ever carry my key fob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

post #19 of 25 Old 04-08-2021, 12:14 PM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2020 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparcruiser View Post
I feel your pain.

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
The wagon should, of course, be as light as possible, but strength should not be sacrificed to lightness, for on any but the regularly traveled roads, the wagon will get many a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 25 Old 04-13-2021, 11:31 AM
Decavolt

2016 JK Wrangler 

Garage
I had my TJ and then a brand new JK in Chicago for several years and never felt the need for hood locks or a gas cap lock. Everyone's situation is different, and if it makes you more comfortable then by all means put one on.
I do recommend wheel locks though, and the MOPAR locking lug is enough. I upgraded all my lugs to spline, and then had 1 Gorilla Lug on each tire so they're doubly protected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
I want locking cap but not because someone might take fuel out - the cancel culture is attacking poor economy SUVs and my fear is someone will put something IN it...

Oh please. No one's going to put something in your tank because they think it eats too much gas. There are plenty of legit reasons to get a locking gas cap, but that isn't one of them.
post #21 of 25 Old 04-13-2021, 12:27 PM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2020 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decavolt View Post
Oh please. No one's going to put something in your tank because they think it eats too much gas. There are plenty of legit reasons to get a locking gas cap, but that isn't one of them.
I politely call BS (you can claim ignorance) but there are SEVERAL organizations (ELF is just one) that actively encourage vandalizing gas guzzlers - and not just SUVs, although the reported vandalism of SUVs does outweigh the reports on cars (kinda hard to tell which cars are guzzlers without knowing a bit about cars - and the folks who know these things are typically the folks who LIKE the cars that guzzle).

I know people who had their Hummer vandalized. Spray painting GAS GUZZLER down the side of an H2 (after stabbing all the tires, breaking every appendage like wipers and antennae and spraying canned foam down the gas filler) in Santa Fe NM while visiting the ski lodge - kinda makes me (and the cops and insurance companies) believe its for well, being a gas guzzler, and thus possible it will occur again. Which tends to make your statement a bit inaccurate. AND it goes back several years. Even on dealership lots.

MANY instances of it happening in the past - how can you POSSIBLY say it wont ever happen again? If you are right and it would never happen - I've wasted 15 bucks. If you're WRONG and I follow your advice - I loose an 85K vehicle to vandals. No brainer in that there choice bud.
moparcruiser likes this.

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
post #22 of 25 Old 04-14-2021, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
moparcruiser
2020 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

A tree hugger may or may not poison someone's gas tank on a Jeep because they think it "eats too much gas" or "tears up the woods"....it depends on how nuts they are.

But I'd bet that having a TRUMP-PENCE 2020 bumper sticker or a "blue line" sticker on it might trigger some cancel culture person enough to do so.

Aside from that , sugar/sand in the gas tank "pranks" have been around for decades, regardless of the new cancel culture attitude of "if it pisses me off I have free rein to damage stuff".

And yes, people still steal gasoline. And mess with other peoples' stuff.

I have a friend who came out to his motorcycle and caught some dickweed sitting on his bike making vroom vroom noises with his girlfriend. That dw wont make that mistake again. But that ios only ONE DW who learned a lesson.

LOTS of DWs out there.

So for me, all my vehicles get gas cap locks. Cheap insurance, rather than assume others out there are going to have the same high moral values about not event TOUCHING other peoples' property that I have.
post #23 of 25 Old 04-14-2021, 08:59 AM
Decavolt

2016 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
how can you POSSIBLY say it wont ever happen again?

Clearly, I didn't say that.

As I said: Everyone's situation is different, and if it makes you more comfortable then by all means put one on.

So you've heard anecdotes of SUV's getting tires slashed and spray-painted, or know someone that it has happened to. Most of us do, myself included. Do you really think that a lock on the gas cap is going to prevent someone who is that motivated to vandalize your Jeep? It won't. Which is why I say that's not a legit reason to get a locking cap. If your concern is stolen gas, cool, I get it and as I wrote above - that's a legit concern. But if your concern is people with a vendetta against SUV's... they're not going to be turned away by just a lock on the gas cap and they were going to do more damage anyway, like paint, smashed windows, slashed tires.

There is a distinction between practical security and paranoia. What I'm saying is: be practical about it. Don't think a locking gas cap is going to prevent a highly motivated vandal. Just like a locked Jeep door won't do squat to prevent a highly motivated thief. But hey, if you want to get a locking cap because everyone's out to get you and you're sure the best way they can come up with to do that is putting sugar in your gas tank, then sure, have at it, get your cap and sleep soundly at night.
post #24 of 25 Old 04-14-2021, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
moparcruiser
2020 LJ Wrangler 

Since this seems to becoming an interesting discussion (and hopefully not just a pissing match) I'll add my two cents....

Quote:
Do you really think that a lock on the gas cap is going to prevent someone who is that motivated to vandalize your Jeep? It won't. Which is why I say that's not a legit reason to get a locking cap. If your concern is stolen gas, cool, I get it and as I wrote above - that's a legit concern. But if your concern is people with a vendetta against SUV's... they're not going to be turned away by just a lock on the gas cap and they were going to do more damage anyway, like paint, smashed windows, slashed tires.

A locked gas cap wont stop someone from slashing tires or spray painting on your vehicle....but those are high visibility sorts of vandalizing. MANY of these miscreants are creatures of opportunity......and afraid of getting caught. True, many are not. But many are.

Tires can be replaced easily (if not cheaply)......painted graffit doesn't prevent the vehicle from running and can be dealt with....ever had to deal with sugar/sand in your gas tank? I have. its not an easy or inexpensive problem because the dw that did it doesn't leave a note saying he did.....you find out when your ride stops running...and by then serious damage is already done.

Quote:
There is a distinction between practical security and paranoia.

Not really.

In life there are those who do NOTHING to protect them and theirs....the "ignorance is bliis" type....blindly assuming that human kindness will prevail and figuring it only happens to other people.

There is a subset of people in this category that simply doesnt care if they have to spend $$$$ out of pocket to fix damage done.....these are the same folks who leave their keys in the car while they run into the 7-11 and then wonder why their car got jacked. But then move on and buy another hooptie, only to do it all over again a year later.

Then there are those who want to be prepared and add alarms, locking this and that because "an ounce of prevention...."

The first two will call the third person paranoid.....at least until something bad happens to them.....

Quote:
What I'm saying is: be practical about it. Don't think a locking gas cap is going to prevent a highly motivated vandal. Just like a locked Jeep door won't do squat to prevent a highly motivated thief. But hey, if you want to get a locking cap because everyone's out to get you and you're sure the best way they can come up with to do that is putting sugar in your gas tank, then sure, have at it, get your cap and sleep soundly at night.

So in one breath you say "be practical" but then go on to infer that this guy is paranoid.....what if it is not necessarily the "highly motivated thief" that is targetted here but instead the miscreant teenager, pissed off snowflake or disgruntled ex-wife/husband they want to try and protect against or at least slow down?

If someone has had their gas tank sugared/sanded or knows someone that has or simply doesn't want to be someone who has it done to them, why is THAT what you are calling paranoid rather than practical? Seems very practical to PREVENT possible damage when it only costs $15.

Do you lock the doors on your house? On your vehicle? Or leave them wide open day and night?

Do you carry a firearm?
post #25 of 25 Old 04-14-2021, 02:59 PM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2020 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Deca and Mopar - Both making good and valid points - BUT I certainly remember when I was young stupid and prone to act on impulse (I wasn't that destructive though). And it seems there is even MORE temptations today than 50 years ago when I was a kid. A locking cap covers the impulse to "poison" any vehicle - especially as SUVs are targets for miscreants who believe they are the end of our world. LOL.

And my guess is some might be jealous of the 392... so yet another impulse to act on.

No worries. We disagree on the validity of a locking cap to secure against vandals. I never expected riots to occur like they have either (and brother I'm sure you aren't happy about your neck of the woods right about now). People are unpredictable and I use all behaviors to "foresee" possible future acts that can be preventable... and damn I forgot about my ex wife and her path of destruction.

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in