Hood locks for the 2021 JL - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 04-02-2021, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
moparcruiser
2020 LJ Wrangler 

Hood locks for the 2021 JL

Hi all - New to the forum and we just got a 2021 Wrangler 80th Anniversary edition 2 door.

LOVE THE THING SO FAR.

Though two things I know I hate right off the bat ---
1- The subwoofer mounted in the very little space in the rear floor that could have been used for storage
2- NO WAY TO LOCK THE HOOD!

I have a few old cars and yes, hood locks were no where to be seen prior to around the early 80s....I know the Jeep is meant to be rugged and "basci"...but come on. IT HAS A SUBWOOFER, ELECTRIC LOCKS AND WINDOWS...LOL. Would equipping it with an inside-released hood lock be so big of a deal?

So.....did a quick search and didnt see much in the way of feedback on hood locks for the JL....

Seesm like there are really only two types.....the less expensive latch replacements that use either a regular key or a cylinder key...or, a centrally mounted latch lock that uses a standard key and has a cover on it.

Seems like the latches could easily be popped open with a big screw driver so I am leaning toward the centrally located one behind the grill, probably the Mopar version as it comes with the modified grill inserts and it installs into the exisiting holes.

Am I thinking right on this? Or are the simple latches more robust than I believe?

I have seen horror stories online where folks steal the batteries but cutting the cables and braking the battery mount....$2,000 to repair at aa dealer according to one guy. OUCH!

Seems like such a basic thing most all cars and trucks have today......so this let me down some. LOL

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 04-03-2021, 07:20 AM
jklastinger

https://www.boltlock.com/locks/jeep-...d-lock-7032303

Works with you stock key. Love mine in my rubicon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #3 of 25 Old 04-03-2021, 06:36 PM
saaouji9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Two things that surprised me are hood locks and gas cap locks. Maybe it's just me being paranoid, but I grew up with them and it would be nice to have them. I know I can get an aftermarket locking gas cap, but I prefer something you can pull the cable in the vehicle and make the door pop open.

I'll get used to it....but I was surprised to see it. Now wheel locks, those came with it.

1994 YJ: 4.0L, AX-15 manual transmission
2021 JLU Rubicon: 3.6L w/ eTorque, 8-Speed 850RE.

post #4 of 25 Old 04-03-2021, 06:38 PM
jklastinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by saaouji9 View Post
Two things that surprised me are hood locks and gas cap locks. Maybe it's just me being paranoid, but I grew up with them and it would be nice to have them. I know I can get an aftermarket locking gas cap, but I prefer something you can pull the cable in the vehicle and make the door pop open.

I'll get used to it....but I was surprised to see it. Now wheel locks, those came with it.

Mopar sells a locking gas cap that is also keyed to the factory key. you do it yourself by putting in the appropriate tumblers.

post #5 of 25 Old 04-03-2021, 06:44 PM
jklastinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by saaouji9 View Post

Mopar sells a locking gas cap that is also keyed to the factory key. you do it yourself by putting in the appropriate tumblers.

post #6 of 25 Old 04-05-2021, 12:49 PM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Bolt lock and the Mopar gas cap. Both can be keyed to your ignition key.

I don't have the locking gas cap, it's really hard to get a tube in it to siphon out gas but I do have a Bolt hood lock.

02 WJ Laredo, heavily optioned but stock
12 JK, 3.5" Teraflex/Franken lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #7 of 25 Old 04-05-2021, 01:01 PM
jklastinger

I have both and just gave me a piece of mind.

post #8 of 25 Old 04-05-2021, 01:33 PM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2020 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranbiz View Post
Bolt lock and the Mopar gas cap. Both can be keyed to your ignition key.

I don't have the locking gas cap, it's really hard to get a tube in it to siphon out gas but I do have a Bolt hood lock.
I want locking cap but not because someone might take fuel out - the cancel culture is attacking poor economy SUVs and my fear is someone will put something IN it...

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
The wagon should, of course, be as light as possible, but strength should not be sacrificed to lightness, for on any but the regularly traveled roads, the wagon will get many a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 25 Old 04-05-2021, 02:05 PM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
I want locking cap but not because someone might take fuel out - the cancel culture is attacking poor economy SUVs and my fear is someone will put something IN it...
I hear that.

Fortunately, where I live, people can get severely injured with puncture wounds for messing with someone's Jeep.

02 WJ Laredo, heavily optioned but stock
12 JK, 3.5" Teraflex/Franken lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #10 of 25 Old 04-05-2021, 02:40 PM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2020 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranbiz View Post
I hear that.

Fortunately, where I live, people can get severely injured with puncture wounds for messing with someone's Jeep.
Here - between sundown and sunrise - deadly force is justified to prevent loss of property.
Or (if use of non deadly force to terminate trespass is justified - basically if its on your own property - not a rental with common area) deadly force is justified to prevent night time criminal mischief .

Dont know if you recall the setup I put in the 11 - cobra alarm with two stage proximity sensor. It actually caught a thief that I held at gunpoint for the cops.

The drawback was that it's limited to capabilities within the cobra system (and display fob range). The new owner is happy enough with it though.

This time around the gadgets are even better - an alarm system that ties into the OEM system, a Rove dash cam with rear cam (mounted under mirror for view of interior) and an Optimus GPS Tracker. I'll get them all playing together so that any alarm trigger or motion in Rove zones will set an alarm, loop record video (and text me their picture) as well as if it IS stolen show me on a map where they are (within thirty seconds - I use the Optimus on my company truck to monitor employee usage and driving habits).

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
The wagon should, of course, be as light as possible, but strength should not be sacrificed to lightness, for on any but the regularly traveled roads, the wagon will get many a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 25 Old 04-05-2021, 02:59 PM
jklastinger

I live in Florida and have a concealed Weapons permit, and like where you live we have the right to protect our property. I own numerous devices of various length and capabilities to do just that.

post #12 of 25 Old 04-06-2021, 06:35 AM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

I have never had a hood lock or locking gas caps on any of my Jeeps and never had a problem. I can kind of see maybe wanting a locking gas cap but a hood lock is completely unnecessary.

The only thing that ever happened is one or two years ago a neighbor’s grandson spray painted the side of my Jeep. I was able to get it all off using a clay bar. The neighbor says he punished the kid.

If you live in an area where vehicle vandalism is that common, consider moving because there are bigger problems.

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
post #13 of 25 Old 04-06-2021, 11:41 AM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2020 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
I have never had a hood lock or locking gas caps on any of my Jeeps and never had a problem. I can kind of see maybe wanting a locking gas cap but a hood lock is completely unnecessary.

The only thing that ever happened is one or two years ago a neighbor’s grandson spray painted the side of my Jeep. I was able to get it all off using a clay bar. The neighbor says he punished the kid.

If you live in an area where vehicle vandalism is that common, consider moving because there are bigger problems.
I hear ya there.

But its not even so much where you LIVE. Its where you GO. I have been through some pretty sketchy places on the way from here to there (where ever there is).

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
post #14 of 25 Old 04-06-2021, 02:40 PM
jklastinger

I agree. I have never had a vehicle vandalized thankfully. Mine jeep is my daily driver and does sit at the airport frequently.

post #15 of 25 Old 04-06-2021, 02:59 PM
saaouji9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
And this is where the problem lies... I think manufacturers install anti-siphon devices in the tubes...at least I remember reading about it awhile ago. It doesn't prevent somebody from dumping something into it though.

I would hope that nobody does it...but it is on my mind that we drive a vehicle targeted by others because it isn't "fuel efficient".

As for the holding somebody at gun point for messing with your vehicle. I don't know if I would personally do that, as there have been more and more reports of the good guy getting arrested and having to go to court for stories like this. We all live in different states with different laws with this, but in general, I am under the category of you don't draw unless you are going to fire rule. It's a shame but in that situation, you have to think about if your insured vehicle is worth having to hire a lawyer, go to court, pay legal fees, and hope you can retain your ccl in a split second.

1994 YJ: 4.0L, AX-15 manual transmission
2021 JLU Rubicon: 3.6L w/ eTorque, 8-Speed 850RE.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in