Having a choice between the 2.0 I4 Turbo or the 3.6 V Automatic trans, 6.. - JeepForum.com
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 82 Old 01-06-2020, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Jeepsr4me

Having a choice between the 2.0 I4 Turbo or the 3.6 V Automatic trans, 6..

I am not sure on the durability of the 4 banger. What I will be using the jeep for is long trips to vacation places, then park it for the most part.
We are getting either a 19 or 20.. But stil have not driven a 2 door eversion to see which is better there also.

But the big question is which engine. As I see a bunch of the 4Ts on the lots, and a few V6s.. ANd the price point for the I4s are way cheaper with more jeep...
So I am torn on what will be the better setup for me. AUTOMATIC trans is only option for me.
I may tow a small trailer with some 1000 pounds of gear..
Just dont want reliability issues to come up with the wrong engine use

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 Old 01-06-2020, 01:45 PM
morph860

I don't have enough miles on mine to give you a reliability report yet - but I'm very happy with it so far. I was worried about it feeling underpowered compared to the 3.6. I test drove both and went with the turbo.

The v6 has 285 horsepower and 260 lb-ft torque. The 2.0 has 270 horsepower and 295 lb-ft torque. If you'll be towing, I'd say you'd notice the extra torque more than you'd miss the 15 horsepower.

91 or higher octane is recommended on the turbo, while 87 is fine in the v6. But you do get a few extra mpg in the turbo to make up for it.
post #3 of 82 Old 01-06-2020, 10:46 PM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

The fuel economy difference is rather minimal in real world driving. The four cylinder power band is at a much higher rpm than the V6, making the V6 the better choice imho.

The soon to be released diesel may be something to consider but it costs a lot more.
Kev M likes this.

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.

post #4 of 82 Old 01-07-2020, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Jeepsr4me

I guess the reason so I see so many of the I4s on the lot is most people want to avoid what happened with the YJ and TJ as far as the bigger engine.
But if those same year models had turbo I wonder if things would be different.
I am going some time this month to get a new jeep and want some trouble free driving since I am getting too old to have to pull and push and fight repairs...
post #5 of 82 Old 01-07-2020, 03:52 PM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

If you plan on taking it off road, get the Pentastar. There are too many complex systems in the turbo 4, a relatively unprotected 48V battery system and 3 separate cooling systems. For a DD or mall crawler, it's reported to be a decent choice but if you are looking for maximum fuel efficiency, you need to use premium gas, which will negate fuel cost savings.

The torque curve is wrong for off road use too.
Jeepsr4me likes this.

02 WJ Laredo, heavily optioned but stock
12 JK, 3.5" Teraflex/Franken lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #6 of 82 Old 01-08-2020, 08:43 AM
LuthWJ77

Garage
Is it weird that I think it's crazy to buy a wrangler if you don't plan on taking it off road? I love Jeeps I can't imagine not having one but it's because of what it can do on the trails and the places it can go other vehicles can't. I just don't think they're a good choice compared to other vehicles for just driving around town. When I see a sport JLU going down the road with street tires I think "what is the point of that you should've just got a Camry?" Don't mean to offend anyone who's on here that has no intention of ever putting their Jeep in 4WD it's just a lot of money to spend on a vehicle that's meant to do that and compromises other things for that ability.
post #7 of 82 Old 01-08-2020, 09:13 AM
morph860

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuthWJ77 View Post
Is it weird that I think it's crazy to buy a wrangler if you don't plan on taking it off road? I love Jeeps I can't imagine not having one but it's because of what it can do on the trails and the places it can go other vehicles can't. I just don't think they're a good choice compared to other vehicles for just driving around town. When I see a sport JLU going down the road with street tires I think "what is the point of that you should've just got a Camry?" Don't mean to offend anyone who's on here that has no intention of ever putting their Jeep in 4WD it's just a lot of money to spend on a vehicle that's meant to do that and compromises other things for that ability.
I thought the same thing. My last vehicle was a loaded Grand Cherokee High Altitude. Smooth ride. The last time I rode in a Wrangler was 20+ years ago and I remember feeling like I was in a roller coaster. Not something I'd want to have as a daily driver. I test drove one when I had my GC in for service and ended up taking it home. It does drive a little rougher than the GC but it's still pretty quiet and pretty smooth. I doubt I'll ever take it off-roading, but we get a decent amount of snow in New England. And it'll be fun to drive around in the summer with the top off.
post #8 of 82 Old 01-08-2020, 02:47 PM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

No top and no doors can be pretty attractive, so yes, I can see people buying a Wrangler and not plan to go off road.

That's why it's important to know how someone plans to use it. Jeep dealers are pushing the 2.0L and for a strictly street Jeep, it can be a fine choice. I, personally, wouldn't buy one to off road with for the reasons I stated earlier.
Jeepsr4me, RevJonG and BruceFL like this.

17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #9 of 82 Old 01-14-2020, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Jeepsr4me

Like I said on my choice of vehicle. I want it because of many reasons other than offroad. I have a TJ for that purpose..
But I love the open top, ride height and IF need be the use of 4x4.. Very few vehicles have that open top feel.. A car is out of the question.. I have plenty of those for daily grind work.
I am really leaning hard on the 2020 due to the hood lines and better shifter placement. Dont care for the header bar area plastic.
I have ruled out the 4banger..

The lots around here are full of those truck things, which have zero appeal for me and very few in the way of selection of 2020 unlimiteds. Lot of the higher end stuff and no lower option ones. My 3 requires are auto, power windows and hard top.. Finding something like that is tough. The manual window crank lines right up with my knee even with the seat all the way back.
post #10 of 82 Old 01-14-2020, 12:49 PM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Like I said on my choice of vehicle. I want it because of many reasons other than offroad. I have a TJ for that purpose..
But I love the open top, ride height and IF need be the use of 4x4.. Very few vehicles have that open top feel.. A car is out of the question.. I have plenty of those for daily grind work.
I am really leaning hard on the 2020 due to the hood lines and better shifter placement. Dont care for the header bar area plastic.

The lots around here are full of those truck things, which have zero appeal for me and very few in the way of selection of 2020 unlimiteds. Lot of the higher end stuff and no lower option ones. My 3 requires are auto, power windows and hard top.. Finding something like that is tough. The manual window crank lines right up with my knee even with the seat all the way back.
Sport S trim gets you the power windows. The rest is just different options added. If one is not on the lot, order it. You can then get it exactly how you want it.

Where are you at? Sport S trim, hard top and Auto is somewhat a common find in most areas.

17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #11 of 82 Old 01-16-2020, 08:22 AM
waterdowg

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post

I just purchased ours last weekend and all three of those options were on all the Jeep on the lot. But I did notice the almost all the Sports had the 4 cylinder. The Saharas and Rubicons had the 6 Cylinder
post #12 of 82 Old 01-16-2020, 09:54 AM
WXman
2020 J-Series Truck 

There are a lot more 4-bangers on the lot, and they're selling them at a much lower price despite the 4-banger being a $3,000 option ($1k for engine, mandatory $2k for trans)?? That should be a red flag right there.
Jeepsr4me likes this.

Current Jeep: 2021 Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel w/ mods

Prior Jeeps/trucks/cars: Too many to list
post #13 of 82 Old 01-16-2020, 10:12 AM
wildbill23c
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuthWJ77 View Post
Nope, the only reason I'd ever buy any Wrangler would be for an offroad only vehicle.

As for Turbo or V6, if a vehicle has a turbo in it I'd avoid it regardless, it means they are compensating for an underpowered engine with a turbo which means your fuel economy is going to suck when you are trying to accelerate for anything, anytime you call on that turbo your fuel economy is going suck. Buy the V6 and be done with it. Gas turbo vehicles just aren't a good investment for any reason.
post #14 of 82 Old 01-16-2020, 03:03 PM
LuthWJ77

Garage
It's really interesting all the different perspectives people have on why Jeeps are cool and in the end we all benefit because resale values are high and the aftermarket is incredible. I have a WJ at the moment for a cheap trail rig but when I get my Quadratec magazine in the mail I'm excited to thumb through it and dream up the next build. I'm a little different than most if I could take a credit and make roof and doors permanent I'd absolutely do that and spend some of that on D44s and Lockers front and rear. As we know that's a Rubicon but point is I don't care about that stuff. In Houston it's either too hurricaney to have that stuff off or just too hot. I think the best improvements over the years specifically from TJ to JK is now you can comfortably drive these things across the country, conquer the Rubicon, and then drive it home without breaking a sweat.
bpb21 likes this.
post #15 of 82 Old 01-21-2020, 07:10 PM
TJody

I have both a 2018 JL with the 3.6 and a 2020 with the turbo 4 don't think you can go wrong with either one .
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20191120_155845_1579659017100.jpg  
Kev M, Ricsan, alex2cast and 1 others like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in