Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Engine tuning

1K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Fernando 
#1 ·
Looking for a way to get some more power out of my 3.6 6 spd rubicon. I came from an awd car that made close to 450hp. I did custom tuning on my previous vehicle without sending the ecu to get unlocked. Any ideas would be helpful. TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
its a wrangler not a corvette.

Be sure to use correct parts, avoid hyped aftermarket BS, put a scanner showing live data, see if any issues..

3.6L is not a simple or easy engine to tweek for performance, esp if your M.Y. has gateway programming or warranty.

#3 ·
I understand that it’s not a corvette, I expected this response. Doesn’t mean I can’t have some extra power. Be nice to be able to cruise down the highway and not have to drop a gear to make it up a small incline.

#5 ·
Jeep is brand new, so they are stock 33"s? It's prob because I was used to 0-60 times under 4 seconds that it bothers me. I understand I am not going to accomplish this. I had a TJ many years ago, so I understand this has way more power than those did and is sufficient for most people. Would be nice if some of the 285hp was available at 2500rpm not 6000rpm.

#6 ·
It's already got a 293 hp motor. This does have enough get up and go for 99.99% of the people that own it.

Now, the JL has a firewalled OBDII port, a locked ECU and a flag that trips when the ECU is modified outside of the dealer. If you don't care about your warranty, I'm sure that there are engine tuners that can eek a few ponies out of the Pentastar. I highly doubt it will be worth it though. Forced Induction would get you HP gains, however, again you void your warranty.

What are you running for tires? Have you got 4.10 gears?

Honestly, what you might be able to get out of the Pentastar with some custom tune is not going to overcome the obvious, you drive a brick on wheels.

Reactions: f8tlfiveo
#8 ·
Rubicon was made for going places, like well the Rubicon trail. Rock crawling is done at life in slow speed. The saying, taking days to go a few miles.

For speed and AWD you should have bought he Track hawk with its 707hp stock. But it not made to be much of a off roader as well.

Your rubicon is not even AWD its part time, like they have been since 1942.

#9 ·
I understand this... no one else needs to state the obvious... I asked a question about tuning, not about anyone's opinion on what a Jeep is for. So if you can't answer the question I asked please move on. I am not new to the Jeep world. I was out of it for about 12 years but am back now.

#12 ·
Prior to 2016, so was a Jeep. In 16, they locked the ECU, in 18 they firewalled the OBD port and I believe the flag showed up in MY19.

#15 ·
Oh wow... Didn't know that. Well...the tuning comments I believe are just as valid... Just ignore the gearing part

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Reactions: f8tlfiveo
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.