Diesel JLUR fuel questions - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-31-2021, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Mess262

Diesel JLUR fuel questions

I’m new to the diesel world and picked up a JLURD the other day. I had some questions about fuel and additives etc.
Should I add anything regularly during the spring/summer to the fuel?
I have seen mentions around about “winterized” fuel so how do I know if the fuel is still (and when it becomes) winterized?
I assume for the most part all fuel vendors of ULS diesel are the same correct? Do the brands each have their own additive/detergent cocktails like in petrol?
When fall/winter comes what and how often do I need to add what additives?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-31-2021, 10:24 AM
Deserteagle56
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Asking about diesel fuel additives just starts a fight. Some swear by them, others say they are a waste of money. So you need to do your own research and decide for yourself.

Diesel fuel is "winterized" (added anti-gel) by the suppliers. Generally the winterized fuel is delivered to service stations starting in about October and then goes back to the summer formulation around April. It is temperature dependent. Unless you live where it really gets cold - minus 20 and colder - you don't have to worry about winterizing (adding anti-gel) to your tank.

Most folks driving diesels just fuel from the pump and don't bother with any additives and do just fine. Today's diesel is formulated for the new diesel engines.

(I have - and have had - diesel pickups, and a couple diesel tractors.)
post #3 of 9 Old 03-31-2021, 10:56 AM
lampertt

I have a new 2021 Diesel too. Before that I had a TDI from VW. I drove that in CO for years and never added anything to it. like Deserteagle56 said this debate is like what oil to use. You will get both sides of the story. I have always thought people use additives to prevent water contaminants in the fuel if it sits for a long time. Since my Jeep sits in the garage during the winter and i go thru a tank of gas so fast im not adding anything.

post #4 of 9 Old 03-31-2021, 01:20 PM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
I don’t put anything in my JLU EcoDiesel fuel, no additives at all. The owners manual specifically recommends not using anything.

I’ve been running Schaefer's Diesel Fuel Treatment in my 2005 Duramax since about 2008. I first switched to their diesel oil, and the truck got better fuel mileage almost immediately. I tried their fuel treatment when my injectors started getting noisy, and it worked almost immediately, again. Now it is addicted to it. Based on my experience Schaefer’s Diesel Fuel treatment works great in my Duramax.

I will not put anything in my EcoDiesel as long as it is under warranty and it is running fine.

Why do I own a CJ? I like to “Balance the wrench and the steering wheel”
1985 CJ-7 Sebring Red, White hardtop, 284 CID inline six (4.7) TF 999 auto
2020 JLU Black, Black hardtop, EcoDiesel, 35’s on 2” Mopar lift
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #5 of 9 Old 03-31-2021, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Mess262

I just stopped by the dealer to see what they recommended and the service Dept said they haven’t seen a need here in PA for anti-gel agents but they did get a TSB for the Dodge diesels to use Diesel Kleen about every other tank because they were seeing Asphaltenes contaminating the tanks. They would find the particles would build up so said that is what they put in them. I stopped at the CarQuest down the road from the dealer and they had the silver bottles that they said the dealer comes in a buys a bunch of from them.
I’ll just run a cleaner through every so often. I’m still on the full tank from delivery so I know I don’t have any issues currently.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-03-2021, 08:17 AM
Tango.

In PA you will not need the additives that are needed in cold weather. Cold means -26 and below. The tank on the JL is small enough also where you do not need long term fuel storage. If it's going in storage for a period of time you can put in the "PS" additive available at any walmart.

The only thing you need to do in PA is stop by NJ for diesel :-)

Life is hard-John Wayne
post #7 of 9 Old 04-03-2021, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Mess262

Amen to that. I was always amazed at how NJ had such low gas/fuel prices given they had to additionally pay attendants to pump it. I hated having someone else pump my gas on my corvette due to spillage on the rear deck.

I also talked to my hunting buddy and he said he only saw a cold issue once with some other friends. It was 8 degrees out and both diesel trucks wouldn’t start. We do occasionally have local issues. I recall a year or so ago school was closed for the day because the busses would not start. They are all kept in an outdoor lot and the cold caused them to be inoperative. It was extremely cold that night and they couldn’t plug them all in.
I added some Lucas multi diesel additive just to help keep the asphaltenes at bay per the dealer TSB they had for the RAM ecodiesels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango. View Post
In PA you will not need the additives that are needed in cold weather. Cold means -26 and below. The tank on the JL is small enough also where you do not need long term fuel storage. If it's going in storage for a period of time you can put in the "PS" additive available at any walmart.

The only thing you need to do in PA is stop by NJ for diesel :-)
post #8 of 9 Old 04-04-2021, 02:16 PM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axhammer View Post
I don’t put anything in my JLU EcoDiesel fuel, no additives at all. The owners manual specifically recommends not using anything.

I’ve been running Schaefer's Diesel Fuel Treatment in my 2005 Duramax since about 2008. I first switched to their diesel oil, and the truck got better fuel mileage almost immediately. I tried their fuel treatment when my injectors started getting noisy, and it worked almost immediately, again. Now it is addicted to it. Based on my experience Schaefer’s Diesel Fuel treatment works great in my Duramax.

I will not put anything in my EcoDiesel as long as it is under warranty and it is running fine.
Semi hyjack... I have an EcoDiesel 1500 4x4. I'm just curious what kind of MPG the JL is getting? Thanks Edit: saw it in the other thread... 24 mpg give or take not bad for a Jeep!

And to be a bit OT, I only put #2 in my truck. The bio stuff doesn't excite me. (and that's not meant to open the proverbial can of worms ;-) )

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
post #9 of 9 Old 04-13-2021, 06:26 AM
Tango.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
Semi hyjack... I have an EcoDiesel 1500 4x4. I'm just curious what kind of MPG the JL is getting? Thanks Edit: saw it in the other thread... 24 mpg give or take not bad for a Jeep!

And to be a bit OT, I only put #2 in my truck. The bio stuff doesn't excite me. (and that's not meant to open the proverbial can of worms ;-) )
I was driving a stock Rubicon JLU diesel and going 75 mph on the flat hwy it got 19.2 mpg.

Life is hard-John Wayne

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in