considering 1st wrangler rubicon diesel fully loaded - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 05-17-2021, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
mindanalyzer

considering 1st wrangler rubicon diesel fully loaded

I am entertaining the idea of moving fulltime from Miami to the mountains of NC/TN , and I would switch my bmw for a wrangler

My idea is to buy the rubicon fully loaded with a diesel engine ; and then pro install a good suspension kit, that can support good quality 35” tires.

This would require good on and offroad performance, because I will need to make constant trips to visit my relatives in Miami - old mother

I like the 392 but not a fan of the dismal mileage (10 mpg); this is why I considered the rubicon ; I have a good budget for this

what is your perspective ?

ps: I also like the Ram TRX , but only turn off is the extremely poor mileage (basically the same problem of the 392)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 05-17-2021, 05:28 PM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
I bought a 2020 JLU Wrangler Sport with the EcoDiesel. It has the same Dana 44ís with 373 gears as a Rubicon, so for comparison it should close. Before I had a Mopar 2Ē lift installed with 35ís, it would get 32 MPG of the freeway. That was all stock at the time. Now with the lift, tires & Tazer, it gets 22 MPG on the freeway doing the same speeds (60-75 MPH). Around town for me is mostly country driving around 45-55 MPH, it seems to do a little better, maybe as high as 24 MPG.

I call the Wrangler sport with the EcoDiesel package the ďPoor Mans RubiconĒ. It comes with the same axles, gear ratio, transmission and heavy duty brakes. It has a LSD in the rear and open differential in the front. If a guy were to put locker in the front of an non Rubicon EcoDiesel it would be even better. I donít know much about the advantage of auto locking sway bars, but thatís something else the poor mans Rubicon lacks.

I believe you could maybe run 35ís on the stock rubicon suspension, so you might want to look into that possibility? Or maybe some 34ís? Donít Rubiconís come with 33ís?
Attached Thumbnails
AEFE2719-71BC-4632-A068-2377452675BD.jpg  

Why do I own a CJ? I like to ďBalance the wrench and the steering wheelĒ
1985 CJ-7 Sebring Red, White hardtop, 284 CID inline six (4.7) TF 999 auto
2020 JLU Black, Black hardtop, EcoDiesel, 35ís on 2Ē Mopar lift
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #3 of 33 Old 05-18-2021, 07:12 AM
LuthWJ77

Garage
Based on what you're saying you're looking at a mid $60k priced jeep. I personally would rather have the loaded JLURD than any other SUV of similar size but I wouldn't rather have it than say an F250 4x4 with a Powerstroke as my daily driver. A loaded out F250 will sticker more but I'd think you'd be able to get close after dealing and run 35" with no mods. They'll also go like 300k miles with just regular maintenance. Now if you really plan to wheel the Jeep or the trails you'll be on will be tight that truck won't fit but bottom line is that's a crap ton of money to spend on a Jeep IMO. I say all this with a JLUR on order but went budget friendly manual transmission and hardly any upgrades as it won't be my DD.

post #4 of 33 Old 05-18-2021, 11:12 AM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

A rubicon comes with 285/70-17 tires which are basically 32.7” diameter and 11.2” wide.

A good upgrade is to change to 285/75-17 tires which are the same width but are 33.8” tall.

They fit on the stock wheels and stock suspension. The ride, handling characteristics, and fuel economy will mostly be preserved with this change while improving off-road capabilities and appearance. Cooper ST MAXX is available in this size and work well Offroad while still being great on pavement. I am running them in 315/70-17 size tgat purchased earlier this year and love them

If you want bigger, the 2” mopar lift (get the add on control arms) will preserve the warranty and will allow you to run up to a 37” tire. This setup looks fantastic but fuel economy suffers anytime you go to a big tire, and the bigger the tire the more pronounced this becomes. Also, when you start getting into big sizes, regearing the differentials becomes something to think about.

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
post #5 of 33 Old 05-24-2021, 03:59 PM
Bruin1md

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindanalyzer View Post
I am entertaining the idea of moving fulltime from Miami to the mountains of NC/TN , and I would switch my bmw for a wrangler

My idea is to buy the rubicon fully loaded with a diesel engine ; and then pro install a good suspension kit, that can support good quality 35Ē tires.

This would require good on and offroad performance, because I will need to make constant trips to visit my relatives in Miami - old mother

I like the 392 but not a fan of the dismal mileage (10 mpg); this is why I considered the rubicon ; I have a good budget for this

what is your perspective ?

ps: I also like the Ram TRX , but only turn off is the extremely poor mileage (basically the same problem of the 392)

Iím thinking about almost exactly the same: a fully loaded rubicon unlimited with the turbo Diesel engine and the safety/leather/tech packages.
I have a TRD pro 4Runner that I like a lot but miss the power/torque of a V8 or diesel, as I live in the mountains.
My commutes locally are short but once or twice a month I will be driving 3 hours to Phoenix so it has to have good road manners and be able to tolerate high winds at times and and poor weather in the winter.
We have tons of trails here for weekend fun.

Iím cross shopping a GC trailhawk, which I know would be better for long distance commutes, and a Silverado LT trail boss, or possibly even a raptor.
This would be my one and only Vehicle so getting a wrangler for weekend fun only is not an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 33 Old 05-24-2021, 09:38 PM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

Parking a raptor is going to suck if you are in a crowded city or a crowded parking garage.

post #7 of 33 Old 05-25-2021, 10:34 PM
Bruin1md

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
Parking a raptor is going to suck if you are in a crowded city or a crowded parking garage.

Thatís precisely the main thing keeping me from getting it. It wonít be an issue where I live in the white mountains in northern Arizona, but when I go to Phoenix and have to park in the airport parking lot, yeah, itís going to suck.

The other issue with the raptor is that itís not ideal for these off road trails given itís width. Iím better off with a more nimble vehicle like the wrangler, or even my 4Runner.

post #8 of 33 Old 05-26-2021, 12:50 PM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2020 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindanalyzer View Post
extremely poor mileage (basically the same problem of the 392)
I get 14.8 at 80mph and 15.5 at 70 in the 392 (my three tank average right now combined - 60% city) is 13.9
Got 13.9 in the 3.6 at 70mph, had to slow to 60 to see 15.2
The diesel will probably get 23 at 60 going down from there, shaving 15% off your annual fuel bill in exchange for a slightly higher maint cost.

I sold my JK to be positioned best when the diesel came out - was looking hard at them when my eye caught the 392 announcement...

In my honest opinion when driven gently (which will still outpace the whole fleet of Wranglers) the 392 is worth the extra cost of fuel. And driving it is soooooooooooooooooooooo much fun - NO REGRETS.

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
The wagon should, of course, be as light as possible, but strength should not be sacrificed to lightness, for on any but the regularly traveled roads, the wagon will get many a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 33 Old 06-05-2021, 10:33 AM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Looks like the OP ditched us...LOL

Why do I own a CJ? I like to ďBalance the wrench and the steering wheelĒ
1985 CJ-7 Sebring Red, White hardtop, 284 CID inline six (4.7) TF 999 auto
2020 JLU Black, Black hardtop, EcoDiesel, 35ís on 2Ē Mopar lift
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #10 of 33 Old 06-07-2021, 11:30 PM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axhammer View Post
Looks like the OP ditched us...LOL
Maybe he realized that a fully loaded diesel rubicon is going to be close to seventy thousand dollars, plus tax, title, and license and there isnít any tax credit to offset it like a 4XE. He may have also realized that in addition to the high price of such a vehicle, there is a big increase in cost of maintenance and at the end of the day, the increased fuel economy doesnít reach the break even point until the whole Jeep is worn out.

Donít get me wrong. A loaded diesel rubicon is awesome, but from a mathematical standpoint, it makes zero sense, especially if you consider how Jeepís started out as inexpensive simple easy to maintain and modify vehicles.

I keep going back to the example of new YJís costing around $8,900. Some new JLU configurations have an MSRP of nearly ten times that and are more complicated than the Apollo lunar modules were.

post #11 of 33 Old 06-08-2021, 03:30 PM
Thunderstrike
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

My 2009 JK Rubicon stickered $33,500. With today's JL costing $60K and up, added with eTorque I feel they are getting more complicated for home mechanics. I will probably stick to my JK.
Prot likes this.

2009 JK Rubicon. 2019 Mustang GT 6 Spd DD
Shrockworks Mid-width, Warn 9.5Ti; Skid Row Engine, LCA & Evap Skid; Rock Hard Gas Tank Skid; Warn Stainless Diff Skids, Uniden 520XL CB, Aeroforce Interceptor, Valentine 1, Baja Designs Squadron-R Pro Fog Pocket.
Ouray - TJ-8/07
Moab - TJ: 4/06, 5/08, JK: 4/09, 5/11, 4/13, 5/16, 4/17, 5/18
Rubicon - TJ-9/08
Pics at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 33 Old 08-02-2021, 02:05 AM
jocww

if you do a regear will this void warranty?

red 86 xj 3.5 superflex with packs, deutush shocks hella 500 fog lights cb radio 31 dayton mud terrains on 15x8 ion wheels custom front bumper with winch and rear tow point
for you myspacers girlscuddlebug69

Bay Area wheelers click this link

TvisXJ Did he just pull a Woo Wong? Chevelle Yea... he just pulled a Woo Wong
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJIceQueen98
Real women don't drive hummers... they give them
post #13 of 33 Old 08-02-2021, 05:49 PM
Bruin1md

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
Maybe he realized that a fully loaded diesel rubicon is going to be close to seventy thousand dollars, plus tax, title, and license and there isnít any tax credit to offset it like a 4XE. He may have also realized that in addition to the high price of such a vehicle, there is a big increase in cost of maintenance and at the end of the day, the increased fuel economy doesnít reach the break even point until the whole Jeep is worn out.

Donít get me wrong. A loaded diesel rubicon is awesome, but from a mathematical standpoint, it makes zero sense, especially if you consider how Jeepís started out as inexpensive simple easy to maintain and modify vehicles.

I keep going back to the example of new YJís costing around $8,900. Some new JLU configurations have an MSRP of nearly ten times that and are more complicated than the Apollo lunar modules were.

Built out my rubicon diesel for around $62k if memory serves Correct ó with the steel bumper package. So yeahó not exactly cheap. The 4xe makes more sense from a financial standpoint, especially with the tax credit.
My concern with each is that Fiat is having lawsuits over the first gen Diesel engine and I have no idea how reliable this second gen diesel is going to be.
And the 4xe hybrid is brand new, so no clue how reliable thatís going to be.

post #14 of 33 Old 08-02-2021, 08:03 PM
Thunderstrike
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Jeep Wrangler prices have gone thru the roof.

I am keeping my 2009 Rubicon. It doesn't have eTorque and all other high maintenance items.

2009 JK Rubicon. 2019 Mustang GT 6 Spd DD
Shrockworks Mid-width, Warn 9.5Ti; Skid Row Engine, LCA & Evap Skid; Rock Hard Gas Tank Skid; Warn Stainless Diff Skids, Uniden 520XL CB, Aeroforce Interceptor, Valentine 1, Baja Designs Squadron-R Pro Fog Pocket.
Ouray - TJ-8/07
Moab - TJ: 4/06, 5/08, JK: 4/09, 5/11, 4/13, 5/16, 4/17, 5/18
Rubicon - TJ-9/08
Pics at
post #15 of 33 Old 08-02-2021, 09:32 PM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin1md View Post
Built out my rubicon diesel for around $62k if memory serves Correct ó with the steel bumper package. So yeahó not exactly cheap. The 4xe makes more sense from a financial standpoint, especially with the tax credit.
My concern with each is that Fiat is having lawsuits over the first gen Diesel engine and I have no idea how reliable this second gen diesel is going to be.
And the 4xe hybrid is brand new, so no clue how reliable thatís going to be.

The diesel in the JL is third generation.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in