To buy a Factory Service Manual - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 04-23-2019, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Jeepaddict
2018 LJ Wrangler 

To buy a Factory Service Manual

Hi, I just bought a brand new JL Wrangler Unlimited Sport S a few weeks ago.

I always buy a Factory Service manual to protect my investment and allow me to make sure it gets proper care. In the past I have bought the manuals as a printed copy and also a CD.

Has anyone bought one for the JL and where did you get one? I am interested to hear what the format is and how many volumes make up the manual.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-26-2019, 08:12 PM
LaddieHanus
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Unhappy

Available from Tech Authority which sells the manuals

https://www.techauthority.com/en-us/...vice%20Manuals

They are no longer in PDF format The one I got for my 2009 JK is on a CD that only runs on Windows and Internet Explorer. Really next to useless as I have never got a full page to print.

Laddie Hanus

2009 JKU Rubicon
97 TJ Sahara
89 YJ
2000 Dodge/Cummins
1973 Road Runner GTX 440hp
2013 Forest River Sunseeker Class C motorhome
2004 GC Limited (Wife Jeep) 4.7 HO rebuilt 9/2016
post #3 of 7 Old 04-30-2019, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Jeepaddict
2018 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply.

I went to the Tech Authority website and the JL Service Manual is more than $100.00 & only available in USB format, but they are out of stock....and I really wanted a copy before I change my oil!

They say the wiring diagrams are not included, but I found they are on a separate USBe and slightly less than $100.00, but I already got a copy of the wiring diagrams.
I have to say, the wiring diagrams have really small print, and I had to open them up on my computer with a desktop graphics program so I could zoom them 300% to make it legible to my tired eyes.

I will check back when I get a copy of the Service Manual and let y'all know if I can read it on my Linux PC.

post #4 of 7 Old 12-05-2019, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Jeepaddict
2018 LJ Wrangler 

This is an update.

The Factory service manual is out of stock, and has been out of stock since I bought my jeep more than a half a year ago.

When my locking lug nut stripped the key socket as I was trying to loosen it to install snow tires, the local Service Manager blamed me because I wasn't following the Service schedule and rotating the tires on schedule.

I pointed out that I usually buy the service manual and refer to the maintenance schedule in it, but it is not available. I asked him to please order me a service manual. He checked and confirmed the service manual is not available, and promised to call Chrysler head office to see how I can get a service manual.

The withholding of service information is a real problem for me, as an owner.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-05-2019, 07:06 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I feel for you 'service manuals' are becoming a thing of the past. Manufacturers are trending toward calling this proprietary information.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-05-2019, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Jeepaddict
2018 LJ Wrangler 

If this trend continues, It will become impossible for independent mechanics to fix vehicles.
When the dealers no longer have to compete for your service dollar, dealers can jack up the prices.
Vehicles are a large investment for most people, and lack of service information can result in scrapping vehicles before they are worn out.
This increases the Carbon Footprint, yadda-yadda.

I have always bought Service Manuals for the equipment and vehicles we bought, because if these assets are disabled due to inability to repair them economically, the asset becomes worthless. The buyer has a right to access service information, a few years ago Kia made the service manual free to owners. My girlfriend just bought a Kia.... I should see if they still provide free access to Service Manuals.

The vehicle manufactures are getting too close to converting vehicles from being durable goods, to disposable, by building in unnecessary complexity.
It is already too easy for the dealer to say, "it's not worth fixing, lets go look in the showroom for a replacement".

We are on a slippery slope.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-06-2019, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Jeepaddict
2018 LJ Wrangler 

It is not possible to buy a Service Manual from Chrysler

I went to the local dealer yesterday and the Service Manager had called Chrysler head office and was told there is no way a customer that bought a Jeep can buy a Service Manual.

The Service Manual is not available unless I buy a subscription like a shop would buy.

I pointed out that someone had a Service manual on CD, (the same as was shown out of stock on the tech site that Chrysler endorses), for sale on EBAY. I said I didn't want to buy it off EBAY, I wanted to buy it from Chrysler.

I think car companies are legislated to keep spares available for a set number of years. I consider the information in the Service Manual to be as necessary as spare parts. As an owner, I am entitled to the information.

Since the Dealer could not help me obtain a Service Manual, and the EBAY price had dropped from over $400.00 to a little over $200.00, I bought the Manual on CD off EBAY.

As a side note, My friend just bought a KIA SUV and the service information is available for free online.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in