Anybody score a diesel JL yet? - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 01-04-2020, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
LuthWJ77

Garage
Anybody score a diesel JL yet?

Curious what the average JF guy or gal thinks of it. The reviews I've seen from the magazines seem to be singing praises but I take that with a grain of salt. Kind of want one but would wait until 2021 to get the bugs out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 01-04-2020, 10:09 AM
lissywissl

I'm curious too, I've seen reviews saying they're amazing and others saying they're overrated.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
post #3 of 26 Old 01-05-2020, 05:47 AM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

What I have read and watched videos of is mostly praise. The areas where they give a negative review are the cost over the other engines, automatic transmission only, four door only, extra weight, smaller fuel tank, destined for less power compared to the version of it in the ram trucks due to the maximum torque the JL’s ring gear could handle, and possibly not so good if you use it fir a lot of short commute city driving

Highway fuel economy will be between 28 and 30, possibly even better.

There is a lot less downshifting on a bridge or incline. Off-road they say there is nothing better and obstacles that previously required 4LO are now possible in 4HI.

For me the initial purchase price premium is a bit much but it is not really unexpected.

If I would total my 2014 JKU, I would seriously consider a new JLU Rubicon diesel if a good enough deal could be had. A completely maxed JLU Rubicon diesel is around 65,000. That’s a lot. A new C8 Corvette is right at 60,000. My 2014 JKU Sahara was loaded and had a sticker of 38,000. I paid a lot less than that. So this would probably be a substantially more expensive purchase.

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.

post #4 of 26 Old 01-05-2020, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
LuthWJ77

Garage
I had a 2012 JKU Sahara loaded out it was around $38k too if I recall it's crazy how much more they want now and it's basically the same vehicle. I needed a truck in 2016 so traded it in but now that it's almost paid for I'm thinking about JLU Rubi diesel. I think the extra money is worth it and the only option I'd add to the base Rubi is the hard top so could maybe get into one for about $50k. This would be mostly a weekend vehicle go to some Jamboree's etc with the plan to basically keep it for a really long time. Then I remember that my WJ with 4" long arm kit goes everywhere I want it to and I only have about $7k into and my previous thought process seems stupid. I don't know we'll see the gas engines don't excite me to blow $50k but having the diesel does for some reason especially if it's as good in the JLU as some are saying. Only live once and can't take $$ with you when you're gone....
post #5 of 26 Old 01-09-2020, 03:02 PM
Deserteagle56
2006 TJ Wrangler 

My concern with the new diesel is how much idling it can take. Got a coworker who complains that when he goes out scouting for elk in his Ram with the 6.7, after several hours of poking around at idle in the back country a light comes on in the dash that tells him he needs to increase the rpms of the engine so it can go through a regeneration process. At that point he has to stop, put the truck in park and put his foot in the throttle to take the engine over 2000 rpm and let it roar for 20 minutes or so until the regeneration process is done. (Rough roads/trails so they have to be taken at crawling speeds.) Myself, I have a newer Kubota diesel tractor that is the same way - the owner's manual warns against idling the engine for any length of time. Once it is warmed up, the rpms have to be increased to 2,000 or more rpm and kept there or the exhaust will not be hot enough for the regeneration process to clean out the Diesel Particulate Filter.

So if I order me a new diesel JL Rubicon - am I going to be able to poke around the trails or will I also have to keep the rpms up to let the regeneration process work?
WXman likes this.
post #6 of 26 Old 01-10-2020, 02:17 AM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

It is worth noting that diesel has the start stop function like the other two engines.

post #7 of 26 Old 01-10-2020, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
LuthWJ77

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserteagle56 View Post
My concern with the new diesel is how much idling it can take. Got a coworker who complains that when he goes out scouting for elk in his Ram with the 6.7, after several hours of poking around at idle in the back country a light comes on in the dash that tells him he needs to increase the rpms of the engine so it can go through a regeneration process. At that point he has to stop, put the truck in park and put his foot in the throttle to take the engine over 2000 rpm and let it roar for 20 minutes or so until the regeneration process is done. (Rough roads/trails so they have to be taken at crawling speeds.) Myself, I have a newer Kubota diesel tractor that is the same way - the owner's manual warns against idling the engine for any length of time. Once it is warmed up, the rpms have to be increased to 2,000 or more rpm and kept there or the exhaust will not be hot enough for the regeneration process to clean out the Diesel Particulate Filter.

So if I order me a new diesel JL Rubicon - am I going to be able to poke around the trails or will I also have to keep the rpms up to let the regeneration process work?
Yeah the stupid DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter)the diesel trucks have since 2007 or so initially had some issues with clogging up and gunking up turbos and EGRs and stuff. I have a 2016 F250 with the powerstroke I've never just idled it for hours at a time like you might if you're on a trail but never had an issue like that. Generally speaking I think these emissions systems have gotten a lot more reliable compared to when they first came out. There's always the option to delete that system too but of course it's illegal and voids warranties and stuff. It's a good point though that could be super annoying if you're having to worry about that out on the trail probably be a deal breaker for me when I think about it.
post #8 of 26 Old 01-10-2020, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
LuthWJ77

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
It is worth noting that diesel has the start stop function like the other two engines.
Man I hate that feature seems like it'd be extra hard on the engine and starter to save a couple gallons a year. Plus how does the AC still work when it shuts down? I was hoping they wouldn't do that on the diesel since the MPGs should be a lot better than the gas options. I think there are tuners out there already that can turn this off but another good point to consider.
post #9 of 26 Old 01-10-2020, 08:19 PM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuthWJ77 View Post
Man I hate that feature seems like it'd be extra hard on the engine and starter to save a couple gallons a year. Plus how does the AC still work when it shuts down? I was hoping they wouldn't do that on the diesel since the MPGs should be a lot better than the gas options. I think there are tuners out there already that can turn this off but another good point to consider.
I am not sure if any vehicles built today donít have this

post #10 of 26 Old 01-10-2020, 08:23 PM
lissywissl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuthWJ77 View Post
I don't think the AC will work when it shuts down. I'm noticing already that the heat stops at stoplights when mine shuts down. Luckily you can turn it off.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
post #11 of 26 Old 01-12-2020, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
LuthWJ77

Garage
Heat should work the heater core is still full of hot coolant but if the engine isn't turning the ac compressor isn't either which was the base for my AC question. I'm sure I can google what happens like someone said every new vehicle has this feature now.
post #12 of 26 Old 01-12-2020, 08:30 PM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

Even though the compressor isn’t turning, the evaporator will still be cold and the blower motor will still blow.

post #13 of 26 Old 01-13-2020, 09:41 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Well, the fan blows but because the compressor isn't turning, the actual cooling stops.

The first thing I turn off is that damn ESS.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #14 of 26 Old 01-14-2020, 11:50 AM
WXman
2020 J-Series Truck 

ESS saves more than a couple gallons a year. I personally saw a hand calculated loss of 1.5 MPG when I went for 4 weeks without ESS on my JL Wrangler 3.6L. That's 20 bucks per month at current prices. In the long run it adds up.

Also, the flywheel and starter are engineered for it. It's not hard on components.

As far as the diesel goes, that's a confirmed (via CAT Scale testing) 500+ lbs. of added weight to the Jeep. Realistically you're looking at 3-5 MPG better economy with diesel fuel at $0.40/gallon more cost on average per AAA so the savings is nothing.

The torque will be sweeet. Question is, how long of a life will this 3rd gen engine live? Will it be garbage like the 1st and 2nd gen engines were? Time will tell...

Current Jeep: '20 JT Gladiator Max Tow w/ mods

Prior Jeeps/trucks/cars: Too many to list
post #15 of 26 Old 01-14-2020, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
LuthWJ77

Garage
Yeah I'm kind of over it just based on the thoughts here from you guys. If I go new I'll just go 3.6 again I didn't hate it in my 2012 and I'm sure it's better with the 8 speed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in