any steering problem Wranglers JL - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 05-24-2019, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Kluk Ztopolovky

any steering problem Wranglers JL

As I have been doing lots of online reading lately about the different issues with Wranglers JL the one reoccurring topic that seems to pop up often is a problem with steering wheel play and quite few owners are reporting wobbling of the front wheels after running over even a minor pot hole . I wonder how do you feel about the steering experience in your new JL ? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-25-2019, 08:33 AM
JIMBOX

2018 LJ Wrangler 

Fine, my steering in my 2018/JL RUBICON/SAHARA was terrible, wander/slop/dart--untill

I lowered the tire AIRPRESSURE from 44 psi to 30 psi (RUBI) and 36 psi (SAHARA)

No more problems !

JIMBO

Firecracker Red 2dr RUBICON--2018
Stinger Yellow 2016 RAM/Hemi/8spd auto 4x4

--YA GOTTA HAVE CLASS--
post #3 of 17 Old 05-25-2019, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Kluk Ztopolovky

steering issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
Fine, my steering in my 2018/JL RUBICON/SAHARA was terrible, wander/slop/dart--untill

I lowered the tire AIRPRESSURE from 44 psi to 30 psi (RUBI) and 36 psi (SAHARA)

No more problems !

JIMBO

Thank you Mr. Jimbo and yes I understand what you are suggesting may improve the steering issue. The fact is that tires have to be correctly pressurized to avoid other potential problems like tire wear, stability, higher fuel consumption etc. I would hope the amazing Italian engineers will be able to fix this problem. If they can built well functioning racing cars like Formula 1 then they surely must be capable of fixing steering technology which is already decades old.

post #4 of 17 Old 05-25-2019, 02:22 PM
JIMBOX

2018 LJ Wrangler 

If you think that 44 psi (as ALL FACTORY JEEPS ARE SET AT FOR SHIPPING) IS THE CORRECT AIR PRESSURE, then you'll never be happy with your JL jeep !

The TPMS system is set for 36 psi as OPTIMAL SETTING and that's still to high-

I have my SAHARA set to 34 psi and I had my JLR set to 30 psi--I don't care about gas mileage/tire wear, if all the jeep does is dart all over the road with lousy steering--safety is much more important than mileage !

Good luck

JIMBO

--YA GOTTA HAVE CLASS--
post #5 of 17 Old 05-25-2019, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Kluk Ztopolovky

road testing tire pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
If you think that 44 psi (as ALL FACTORY JEEPS ARE SET AT FOR SHIPPING) IS THE CORRECT AIR PRESSURE, then you'll never be happy with your JL jeep !

The TPMS system is set for 36 psi as OPTIMAL SETTING and that's still to high-

I have my SAHARA set to 34 psi and I had my JLR set to 30 psi--I don't care about gas mileage/tire wear, if all the jeep does is dart all over the road with lousy steering--safety is much more important than mileage !

Good luck

JIMBO

Thanks for the valuable advice .Do you believe Mr. Jimbo that any tire will perform optimally with 34 psi? How would you know whether 30 psi or 35 psi is the best pressure? By road testing different tire pressure ? I guess the steering must be very sensitive if it doesn't work correctly with only 5 psi pressure difference.
post #6 of 17 Old 05-25-2019, 06:44 PM
JIMBOX

2018 LJ Wrangler 

I want to be sure you have a great day, because you'll never hear from me again !

W.E.

JIMBO

--YA GOTTA HAVE CLASS--
post #7 of 17 Old 05-28-2019, 12:51 PM
MildlyWild

You have to set the optimal tire pressure yourself. Tires too full will bash on ball joints and rod ends to the point of premature failure.

Wife's factory-ordered JLUR handles nice and firm, steering is tight and predictable. (1000mi on the odometer) However, her tires were shipped at 42psi and all 4 failed the chalk test. This is the 1st and easiest checkpoint for flighty steering, harsh ride, abnormal tire wear, or hydroplane issues.

Remember, the TPMS setting is a single digital setting across ALL Wranglers ranging from 2 door soft tops with plastic bumpers, to 4 door hardtops with steel bumpers. That is a huge weight variance! Custom tailer your tire pressure to your vehicle and payload. F1 engineers know to tune the given car to the driven track for optimal performance.
post #8 of 17 Old 05-28-2019, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Kluk Ztopolovky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MildlyWild View Post
You have to set the optimal tire pressure yourself. Tires too full will bash on ball joints and rod ends to the point of premature failure.

Wife's factory-ordered JLUR handles nice and firm, steering is tight and predictable. (1000mi on the odometer) However, her tires were shipped at 42psi and all 4 failed the chalk test. This is the 1st and easiest checkpoint for flighty steering, harsh ride, abnormal tire wear, or hydroplane issues.

Remember, the TPMS setting is a single digital setting across ALL Wranglers ranging from 2 door soft tops with plastic bumpers, to 4 door hardtops with steel bumpers. That is a huge weight variance! Custom tailer your tire pressure to your vehicle and payload. F1 engineers know to tune the given car to the driven track for optimal performance.

thanks, yes I understand , I wish the steering on Wranglers wasn't as tricky but the air pressure level seems to help from what I can read , I am sure I will be happy with my new wheels
post #9 of 17 Old 06-01-2019, 04:24 PM
Deserteagle56
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MildlyWild View Post

^This.

Don't have a JL yet...I'm still in a 2006 TJ. Optimal tire pressure for general use for the TJ has turned out to be 27 psi. That's what I've run now for the past 8 years...but then I don't have a TPMS alarm to worry about!
post #10 of 17 Old 06-01-2019, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Kluk Ztopolovky

so basically this would mean that the recommended tire pressure as specified on the tire wall is useless
post #11 of 17 Old 06-01-2019, 09:34 PM
MildlyWild

Sidewall tire pressure is max possible pressure for maximum weight on the tire. That rating is usually for heavy duty trucks hauling heavy loads. On Wranglers, running max tire pressure is absolutely savage on your spine and suspension. (Exception being P rated tires) useless is an apt expression for us.

On a factory size tire, door sticker pressure is better to go by, but is in that "factory average" which is close and good enough for general purpose.

To really capitalize on bushing, tie rod and ball joint lifespan, dialing in pressure to your vehicle on a chalk test is worth your time.
post #12 of 17 Old 06-01-2019, 10:11 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
some tires at Full pressure can almost hold the weight of a jeep. I know two of my D rated 37s could roll it like a motor cycle at 50psi on two tires. what is each like 3200 pounds at 50 psi if i recall. i run about 27 front 25 rear. empty normal. rear gets full like right now packing for Rubicon. i will up it to 29 front 30 rear. Off road it will be at 10 psi for days......

as long as there are straight axles in any vehicle ever made, wobbles can happen. its not a jeep thing. Fiat fix it lol thats rich. if wobbles has you worried, get a other model. all other jeeps have ifs front ends like 99% of the suvs on the road. jeeps an old tec front end. your lucky it dont have leafs still.......

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 17 Old 06-02-2019, 10:09 AM
RubiconFreedom

2017 JK Wrangler 

FYI: Anyone who now owns a 2019/2020 JL wrangler is going to tell you what you want to hear. I've be weary about the front end as we've had a number of issues with past JK's. So even if those driving the new JL did have any steering issues, they're not going to volunteer any information. But searching online seems to indicate that all jeeps will encounter some steering, shimmy or wobble issue. Search forums and JL sites see what owners are saying especially the JLwrangler forum..

Semi-Retired Sr. Mechanical Assembler & Sr. Quality Assurance Inspector for Aerospace Industry
post #14 of 17 Old 06-02-2019, 12:14 PM
Deserteagle56
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluk Ztopolovky View Post
so basically this would mean that the recommended tire pressure as specified on the tire wall is useless
Read your tire sidewall again...unless they are different than any others I've seen, that is not a "recommended" tire pressure. That is a maximum pressure to use in the tire at maximum load.

In other words, if you have 4 "E" rated tires @ 3,200 lb per tire at 80 PSI you can haul 12,800 pounds on that vehicle (assuming the rest of the chassis can handle that!). A Jeep weighing 5,000 lb or less doesn't need 80 PSI!
post #15 of 17 Old 06-03-2019, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Kluk Ztopolovky

thank you everybody for your tips, I am sure the steering will be fine plus I have so much experience driving real 500 $ wrecks in the old days : )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in