35s and the skinny tire - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 23 Old 05-14-2019, 11:41 PM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

Regarding criticism of the use of the word flotation in the article, go to just about any tire site and you will see references to flotation sizes.

FFS, this is Jeep Forum, not Grammar Forum where the conjugation of the verb be is a major topic.

To get back on topic, it is worth noting that on pavement, a narrower tire is less prone to hydroplaning than a wide one is.

Down here, in the deep black jack mud, a wide tire usually performs better, partly because of distributing weight over a larger surface and partly because of greater traction due the width.

I run 315/70-17 tires since 2007. I wouldn’t want to go any wider because as it is the twelve and a half inch width is more prone to hydroplaning than I would like.

A narrow 35” tire is somewhat rare as most are around twelve and a half inches.

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 Old 05-15-2019, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
coloradoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
Regarding criticism of the use of the word flotation in the article, go to just about any tire site and you will see references to flotation sizes.

FFS, this is Jeep Forum, not Grammar Forum where the conjugation of the verb be is a major topic.

To get back on topic, it is worth noting that on pavement, a narrower tire is less prone to hydroplaning than a wide one is.

Down here, in the deep black jack mud, a wide tire usually performs better, partly because of distributing weight over a larger surface and partly because of greater traction due the width.

I run 315/70-17 tires since 2007. I wouldn’t want to go any wider because as it is the twelve and a half inch width is more prone to hydroplaning than I would like.

A narrow 35” tire is somewhat rare as most are around twelve and a half inches.
Yeah agreed about the mud and sand, but in most situations skinny tires out perform the wider tires off and on road. I really don't even know why the selection of tires only comes with big width. The narrower tires are definitely more rare. There aren't even any "skinny" A/Ts available. They are only R/T or M/T.

Another thing, tires are the most important and easiest way to improve a vehicles performance. We have so many options for lifts and shocks but when it comes to tires, they are pretty much all the same.
post #18 of 23 Old 05-15-2019, 08:35 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
that was a hard flex? lol hardly. seriously......

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 23 Old 05-15-2019, 06:49 PM
Pine_Cat
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Makes sense - many of the people who buy wide for the look would rather say they bought wide for the floatation (even though their wide tire has equal contact patch area as the skinny tire)

It's smart sales tactics to say whatever prospective customers want to hear, and emotion is much more likely to make the sale than logic

Analogy: people don't want to say they regear for the feel, so instead they claim it's more efficient

2017 JK Sahara (my Smartcar)
2011 KK Liberty (H&R lift springs, OldManEmu shocks/struts, skinny 32)
2009 Kia Sorento (H&R springs, ToyTec strut spacers, OldManEmu shocks/struts, skinny 31)
2006 TJ budget LCG prerunner (see profile)
2006 Chevy Trailblazer (EXT lift, Nth LJ 4.5" springs + Monroe rear coilovers, skinny 32)
1998 Dodge Durango (SuspMax & Roadmaster lifts, rear Truetrac, skinny 32)
post #20 of 23 Old 05-15-2019, 09:49 PM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

Although two tires with the same pressure, same load etc with one being wide and the other being narrow have the same size contact patch, the shape of the contact patch is different. The contact patch of the wide tire will be wider but not as long as the contact patch for the narrow tire.

Generally I like to use tires and other potentially wear/failure items that are easily replaceable from a local source compared to having to order some odd sized or rare /uncommon part. I find this is especially true of tires.

Those pizza cutters are not likely to be in stock at most places and would need to be ordered if you need a replacement.

That’s just my own personal preference and reasoning behind some of my choices but that doesn’t mean other opinions are not valid.

post #21 of 23 Old 05-16-2019, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
coloradoman

Quote:
Although two tires with the same pressure, same load etc with one being wide and the other being narrow have the same size contact patch, the shape of the contact patch is different. The contact patch of the wide tire will be wider but not as long as the contact patch for the narrow tire.

Generally I like to use tires and other potentially wear/failure items that are easily replaceable from a local source compared to having to order some odd sized or rare /uncommon part. I find this is especially true of tires.

Those pizza cutters are not likely to be in stock at most places and would need to be ordered if you need a replacement.

That’s just my own personal preference and reasoning behind some of my choices but that doesn’t mean other opinions are not valid.
I've had great luck buying tires online and getting them for much cheaper than any tire store.
post #22 of 23 Old 05-16-2019, 02:45 PM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoman View Post
I've had great luck buying tires online and getting them for much cheaper than any tire store.
My comment was not about price it was the ability to pick up a replacement locally instead of having to order due to using some oddball size. Not many local shops keep 35” pizza cutters in stock.

post #23 of 23 Old 05-17-2019, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
coloradoman

Quote:
My comment was not about price it was the ability to pick up a replacement locally instead of having to order due to using some oddball size. Not many local shops keep 35” pizza cutters in stock.
When do we ever need to go immediately to get tires, it takes only 5 minutes to get them online and a week to deliver. We have spare tires for a reason. But yes the store is more convenient.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in