3.0 Turbo Diesel in a JLU - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 09-15-2020, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
3.0 Turbo Diesel in a JLU

So the new Eco Diesel is available in the Wrangler Unlimited this year. With it you must have the eight speed automatic. If you get it with a Sport or Sahara package you get the Gen III Dana 44’s front & rear with 373’s, and 410’s for the Rubicon package. The turbo diesel will rival the HEMI for power with better fuel economy. I know the HEMI makes more power, but the turbo diesel makes max torque (440) at a very low RPM, less that 2000. The HEMI makes its power above 4000-5000, so you have to rev the HEMI to beat the the little turbo diesel.

So who’s bought one? It seems like the perfect match for a JLU on 35’s with 373’s or 37’s with 410’s. I think I’ll be looking at them, maybe next year after the new engine has been in the Jeep for a while, so they can work out any engineering issues that may arise.

1985 CJ-7 Red with white hardtop, 258 auto
View my Pontiac in my profile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-16-2020, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
So no one here has a 3.0 Turbo Diesel Wrangler?

The JL forum seems to have low volume participation. Thats kinda funny, because I see JLUs on the street constantly every day. I like the lower stance compared to the JKU.

post #3 of 8 Old 09-16-2020, 06:11 PM
WestTX

2011 JK Wrangler 

I am going to be looking at them. I have been watching a couple guys on YouTube that are running them and they seem to be pretty decent in the torque department and mpg. I have had diesel vehicles since 2008 and am used to the DPF and DEF stuff. I think most manufactures have most of the bugs worked out. I did see they will need to redesign the lifts to account for the weight and some shock changes due to engine items. Aside from that they look like the ticket for me. I will be looking hard at them even with the new Ford Bronco coming out.

2011 JK Rubicon Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl

If you eat, drink, or wear cloths then your involved in agriculture.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old 09-16-2020, 11:37 PM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

If you have a short commute or frequent short drives without enough longer trips, the diesel is not the way to go due to the regen cycle and a three thousand dollar filter that can get clogged up from such use.

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-17-2020, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
If you have a short commute or frequent short drives without enough longer trips, the diesel is not the way to go due to the regen cycle and a three thousand dollar filter that can get clogged up from such use.
Good point. I was reading an article online about the added maintenance cost of the 3.0 EcoDiesel, and the fact it cost more to maintain, thus offsetting the fuel cost savings from better MPG. It was mostly due to oil change cost, and now that I think about it it didnt mention fuel filters?

Does this new 3.0 EcoDiesel have a fuel filter that must be replaced periodically? I guess I need to do more research, and find out what the added maintenance will be with it.

For me the appeal of the diesel is all about the low end torque, and nothing to do with any possible savings from MPG. My 2005 Duramax has been a great truck, I have never had to upgrade anything on it, its a towing machine as is. With 220k+ on the odometer it gets the best MPG ever, I think the engine is finally broke-in.

post #6 of 8 Old 09-17-2020, 04:50 PM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

The three thousand dollar filter that can get clogged is a particulate filter.

I was all set to take the plunge into diesel but when I started reading about regen cycle, short commutes, and this expensive filter potentially clogging up from such short use, I decided it is not for me.

My commute for work is four and a half miles each way. The rest of my driving is almost all stop and go short trip city driving, especially during corona.

Yes, I do road trips, pull people out of mud, go to places that I need my lockers, but that’s the exception, not the rule.

My final analysis is the 4XE Rubicon seems targeted at me for my realistic use.

All this city driving due to corona and no road trips or interstate driving has dropped my fuel economy down to the 11-12 mpg range. The only thing making it tolerable is I am not driving much so I actually spending less money on gas.

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
post #7 of 8 Old Yesterday, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
I am currently teleworking, but that will change eventually, and I will go back to my normal 45 minute commute. Based on that distance, I should be OK driving it to work if I chose to put some miles on it. It it will not be my primary vehicle. I had a 2017 JKU Sahara back in 2018, and I really liked it, the way it drove, it was easy on gas, with a lot of nice options, it really was a nice Jeep, so I think getting into a LJU will work out for me.

I havent really found any negative reviews of the Dodge 3.0 turbo Diesel (EcoDiesel) other than when it was newer, in the 2014 thru 2016 timeframe. The versions being built for the Jeep are the third generation, so it has been revised twice. Hopefully they have work all the bugs out of the design, because the more I think about it, the better the Turbo Diesel in a four door Wrangler Sounds.

It looks like the 2021 models get a 345 gearset, instead of 373s. But the 2021 Rubicon gets 411s with the 3.0 Turbo Diesel, vice 373s for all 3.0 Turbo diesels in 2020. That makes a base model Rubicon a little more attractive for me. I definitely dont like the idea of 345s since I will be running 35s at a minimum, and probably 37 eventually.

post #8 of 8 Old Today, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Took a test drive
Attached Thumbnails
A67D527B-00CA-4713-8D0A-191F130CDF57_1600536959348.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in