'21 Sahara 4XE ... Qs about Tow Package ... ! - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By TJSport97
  • 1 Post By jwmbishop

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 04-15-2021, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
MaskedRacerX

'21 Sahara 4XE ... Qs about Tow Package ... !

Howdy!

Cross posting from the new 4XE forum, figured there's be a little more traffic here (and possibly even clarify, if this is something 4XE specific). Vehicle is pretty spectacular, it's loaded (plus the standard XE options that include things like LED lighting, the upgraded audio), Snazzberry with the color matched hardtop.

OK, so the Tow Package, the thing that has me scratching my head, is we have a Reese hitch carrier we used with our DD/RT, and an old ball/mount from a previous T4R.

They're for a 2" hitch, because they were for a Class IV tow option on both of those vehicles. I was a little bummed I'd have to get an adapter for the carrier (or a new one) because a Class II hitch is spec'ed at 1-1/4", the Tow Package from our window sticker is definitely a Class II.

Here's the question: our hitch is 2", is this a 2" Class II (which I've never heard of ...)? Or is it simply a Class III/IV sized hitch assembly though the vehicle itself only allows Class II towing weight (3500/350). I mean, don't get me wrong, it's excellent because now we don't need to buy a new carrier, an adapter, or even a ball mount (which I did test fit and seems fine).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-18-2021, 05:39 PM
TJSport97
2020 J-Series Truck 

I had a 1 1/4" on my TJ and it was great. My new JL has a two inch reciever. Bought a new adjustable hitch that works on it and our Grand Cherokee too. All is good now. Not many 1 1/4" hitches left except maybe on small front drive cars.
MaskedRacerX likes this.

Have a nice day. Gary
post #3 of 4 Old 04-19-2021, 07:27 AM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2020 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacerX View Post
Howdy!

Cross posting from the new 4XE forum, figured there's be a little more traffic here (and possibly even clarify, if this is something 4XE specific). Vehicle is pretty spectacular, it's loaded (plus the standard XE options that include things like LED lighting, the upgraded audio), Snazzberry with the color matched hardtop.

OK, so the Tow Package, the thing that has me scratching my head, is we have a Reese hitch carrier we used with our DD/RT, and an old ball/mount from a previous T4R.

They're for a 2" hitch, because they were for a Class IV tow option on both of those vehicles. I was a little bummed I'd have to get an adapter for the carrier (or a new one) because a Class II hitch is spec'ed at 1-1/4", the Tow Package from our window sticker is definitely a Class II.

Here's the question: our hitch is 2", is this a 2" Class II (which I've never heard of ...)? Or is it simply a Class III/IV sized hitch assembly though the vehicle itself only allows Class II towing weight (3500/350). I mean, don't get me wrong, it's excellent because now we don't need to buy a new carrier, an adapter, or even a ball mount (which I did test fit and seems fine).
A two inch IS a class 3 by aftermarket hitch manufacturers standards - however the HITCH itself does not set tow capacity (rule is NEVER exceed VEHICLE manufacturer specifications).

My window sticker says class II as well (and my 11 JKUR was same).
2" but 3500/350 CII maximum.
MaskedRacerX likes this.

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
The wagon should, of course, be as light as possible, but strength should not be sacrificed to lightness, for on any but the regularly traveled roads, the wagon will get many a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old 04-19-2021, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
MaskedRacerX

Thanks folks! Figured that was the case, i.e., Class II just a 2" receiver. Which is great! We have a hitch carrier (for dive/fishing gear for the keys), and a bike carrier, both 2" (which is definitely more the norm for hitch accessories).

The 3500# is plenty for us, our tow needs are pretty minor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in