XJ column In YJ Body on CJ-7 frame - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 04-20-2021, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

XJ column In YJ Body on CJ-7 frame

Short version. YJ columns hard to find. XJ tilt column mounts with minor mods. Want to use the XJ wiper switch on column with intermittent feature. the FSM wiring diagrams do not match the colors on the actual components I have.
Question 1: is the connector on the end of the wiper motor a Deutsch connector? The one shown is an aftermarket 4 wire with ground.

Attached Thumbnails
Wiper motor connector.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-20-2021, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

This is the connector coming out of the intermittent module. I need to make a harness from the module to the wiper motor thus question 1 from above.
Attached Thumbnails
Intermittent connector.jpg  
post #3 of 17 Old 04-20-2021, 09:29 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Do any of the drawings in this post help?

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/i...mn-cj-4418673/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....

post #4 of 17 Old 04-20-2021, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

John I looked at that thread before I posted this thread. The wire colors do not match. The wiper motor from the YJ has4 wires: brown, blue, white, green and black. The intermittent connector has 6 wires. Brown. blue, red/tan, red/yellow, brwn/white and black. Making an assumption brown to brown, blue to blue, black to black. So which wire from the intermittent connector goes to white? Red/ylw, red/tan, brn/white. Conversely same for green wire. The intermittent module is the same for the YJ and the XJ.
Attached Thumbnails
Int ports.jpg  
post #5 of 17 Old 04-21-2021, 05:25 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
John I looked at that thread before I posted this thread.
The wire colors do not match.

The wiper motor from the YJ has 4 wires: brown, blue, white, green and black.

The intermittent connector has 6 wires. Brown. blue, red/tan, red/yellow, brwn/white and black.

Making an assumption brown to brown, blue to blue, black to black.
So which wire from the intermittent connector goes to white? Red/ylw, red/tan, brn/white. Conversely same for green wire.
The intermittent module is the same for the YJ and the XJ.
The position is more important than the colors

Looking at this one I see 6 wires.
int-ports.jpg

Let's assume that the picture is the correct and you plug actually has 6 wires.

I see that the blue wire has two wires. This is good. That wire has to go to two places. One blue wire goes to the fuse box to supply power to the wiper motor so I can park itself when the wiper is turned off. Might be safe to assume it should be a fuse that is switched off with the key.

yf-wiper-plug.jpg

Brown goes to the Windshield washer pump motor.
Red/Yellow goes to Hi Speed on the wiper motor.
Blue goes to the park switch on wiper motor and to the Switched 12 volts.
Black goes to ground on the wiper motor.

That leaves two wire unaccounted for.
Brown/White stripe which I think is missing from your drawing that goes to the Lo speed on the wiper motor.

And the Tan/Red on your plug which looks like the Green/Yellow wire on my plug.
That one goes to the other end of the parkin switch on the Wiper motor.

Since the position of the wire in the plug is more important than the color, I would have to guess that this is were it should go.

As for the wiper motor plug,

wiper-motor-connector.jpg

Here is the pinout for the YJ plug.
It's an 8 Pin plug .

Name:  YJ Wiper Pinout 2.JPG
Views: 42
Size:  40.0 KB

But is yours a 6 pin plug on the wiper motor?

An XJ uses an 6 pin plug
Something like this.

xj-wiper-motor.jpg

If you look at the 2nd picture of your plug, You can see the letters on the position of the wires (GFEDCBA) and the picture above show what wire goes to what position on the wiper motor. But again, none of those wire color match but it is more important the location of the wires rather than colors.

But again the wire colors don't match up and I don't know the pinouts on the plug you have.

For what year YJ was that wiper motor purchased?
Maybe they changed over the years.

[ If this response seems discombobulated, it's too early in the moring and I had to re-read your post a couple of time ]
CSP likes this.

post #6 of 17 Old 04-21-2021, 12:20 PM
yellow85cj

1985 CJ7 

One of the drawings that John posted is mine. Spent a lot of time looking at the FSM drawings. As John says, position is what you need to look at first, not color. The CJ,YJ,XJ connectors have letters on them, match those.

The YJ connector is not that big of a problem when you use the FSM pin out to ID what it is for and then match to the proper letter on the XJ connector.

Or you could use your CJ motor.

My original wiper motor wire colors are different than the FSM drawings show. I sometimes wonder that if they ran out of one color wire, some one just said here use this color, we have lots of it.
Oh and if you have the intermittent wipers on the column, don't forget you can use the brights on the column as well. It's a direct plug n play. Then you can use the floor switch for something.

The little black wire hanging out of the column is for the cruise control button. You may find that you can use it for something.

Currently in pieces - all of them
post #7 of 17 Old 04-21-2021, 01:02 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I got an Idea

I found this diagram of another XJ Wiper motor and it has some pin numbers on it.

xj-wiper-diagram.jpg

1- Lt-Green- Wipers up
2 -Tan-Red - Wipers Down
3- NU
4- Black-Ground
5- Brown/white- Lo Speed
6 - Red/Yellow- High speed

I notice they have all the colors on the motor marked as NCA. They probably don't know what color it may have.
But as you can see, position is important.

Look at your plug and see if there is one open spot, That would be position 3.
Usually one row will be 1-2-3 and the other row will be 6-5-4.

See if you can figure it out.
Take more pictures from the front and the back. Look for tiny tiny number or numbers on the plug.

post #8 of 17 Old 04-21-2021, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

This is the connector from the YJ wiper motor. It is a 1995.wiper-mtr-thumb.jpg After finding my most valuable tool: magnifying glass, I was able to read the letters on the connector. Slot A white wire, Slot B Green, Slot C empty, Slot D Brown. Slot E black, Slots F&G empty, Slot H Blue. The connector that goes between the wiper and intermittent module has the same color wires as your connector on the writing pad.Name:  Int ports THUMB.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  22.1 KB. Making progress slow but sure.
post #9 of 17 Old 04-21-2021, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

I got the dimmer switch with no problem. The YJ doesn't have a hole for the dimmer switch on the floor like the CJ body.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-21-2021, 08:02 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
This is the connector from the YJ wiper motor. It is a 1995.

Attachment 3981597

After finding my most valuable tool: magnifying glass, I was able to read the letters on the connector.

Slot A white wire, Slot B Green, Slot C empty, Slot D Brown. Slot E black, Slots F&G empty, Slot H Blue.
The connector that goes between the wiper and intermittent module has the same color wires as your connector on the writing pad.

Attachment 3981599.

Making progress slow but sure.

This is the best I can come out with. Funny how the schematics shows numbers but the plug has letters.

xj-yj-intermittant-wiper.jpg

I put both the numeric and alphabetic designators on this picture. See if I am correct.

If it is correct, then This is my best guess as how the wires connect:

xj-intermittant-yj-wiper-connections.jpg

If you find a connector, let me know.
Attached Images

post #11 of 17 Old 04-21-2021, 08:17 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I still have to figure out mine.... But I don't know what to fill the Wiper knob hole if I do.

I've got two plugs with different wires.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0800.jpg  

post #12 of 17 Old 04-21-2021, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

John "If you find a connector, let me know." I'm going to use a Deutsch 8 way connector from the intermittent module and try and mate it to the existing plug on the wiper motor. Something like this:https://www.deutschconnector.com/pro...es_connectors/ They offer good seals and protection from water.
post #13 of 17 Old 04-21-2021, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
I still have to figure out mine.... But I don't know what to fill the Wiper knob hole if I do.

I've got two plugs with different wires.
Could fill it with a fog light switch or something similar. The top one matches the one I have
post #14 of 17 Old 04-23-2021, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

XJ Module to YJ motor

John Strenk Thanks to you and Yellow CJ85 for all the help. I think I have it figured out. Just waiting for an 8 pin cavity DT Deutsch connectors to make a new coupling to marry each side together. Name:  XJ Intermittant to YJ Wiper  Connections Simple.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  74.0 KB The only change from this diagram is the Sense Or Park wire from the XJ connector is the wire is red/tan. I put it in slot H/8. I'll post a picture when I get the parts for the connector and I assemble it.
post #15 of 17 Old 04-24-2021, 01:28 PM
devildog80

1981 CJ5 

But I don't know what to fill the Wiper knob hole if I do.
Attached Images

John Strenk likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in