WTFrick!? - PO dash wiring nightmare. Fire/instrument hazards? - JeepForum.com
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 72 Old 02-02-2020, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
uw91

1984 CJ7 

Garage
WTFrick!? - PO dash wiring nightmare. Fire/instrument hazards?

Went in for the LED upgrade and windshield weld nut update and saw something that looked very unoriginal, and a bit worrisome. I saw some bird's nests here and there and ultimately duct tape just peeking out from electrical tape that was wrapped around the wiring as though it were to be a factory harness. Seeing this I said, 'Whelp.... when in Rome... remove the electrical tape and send your anxiety and frustration through the Colloseum'. Why in the name of Odin would someone duct tape wires?

I removed all the electrical tape and zipped the wires together as to not lose track of them. Once done I tackled the duct tape, and holy mother; the PO duct taped 2 12-gauge (I believe they are that size) wires together in crap connectors that split out to 3 wires. How is this not a fire hazard? I do not believe these go to a specific fuse but directly to the fuse box, which now has me worried that you are adding power to a 3rd line that could over-power that specific instrument. This is done on a few occasions as you can see in the photos.

Is this the proper route? (Minus the duct tape) Take 2 wires, merge them together and have 3 wires lead out from them?
Any idea what some of these connectors are from the plug type?

I believe one connector is from an old trailer hook up, as it ties into the light switch.

I have AC, tach, clock... though it does look like they installed an aftermarket tach. (Blue gauge, left side of 5th pic)

Anyways, thanks for the eyes and I'm really glad my curiousity got me on this one bc I have a feeling that things could have turned out ugly. I also never knew that wrapping duct tape around your connections and then electrical tape around all the wires was the route to go. Always thought it was the other way around.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200202_144036.jpg   IMG_20200202_144450.jpg   IMG_20200202_144604.jpg   IMG_20200202_223207.jpg   IMG_20200202_142933.jpg  

IMG_20200202_143008.jpg   IMG_20200202_143015.jpg  

PNW Represent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 Old 02-03-2020, 01:30 AM
whollsee
1982 CJ7 

Believe it or not, duct tape was actually factory!!! The chunk you show may not be though...
uw91 likes this.

When ever I hear the word 'Jeep' I reach for my wallet.
post #3 of 72 Old 02-03-2020, 03:42 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

The Tach looks factory. Although the speaker does not.

img_20200202_143015.jpg
This looks like the plug for the factory fog lights

img_20200202_142933.jpg
This looks like the connection for the 4 cyl tach. Is that yellow wire cut?

img_20200202_143008.jpg
If those were at 90* apart, I would say this is for the turn signal flasher.

Yes "Duck tape" was used in the original harnesses. Something about temperature rating of black electrical tape wasn't high enough to cover splices like that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....

post #4 of 72 Old 02-03-2020, 05:49 AM
shadoow
1985 CJ7 

As a side note be aware that the factory tach is part of the ignition circuit. If the tach goes bad or is just removed your engine will not run. If you want/need to remove the tach you disconnect the 2 wiring harness connectors going to the tach then connect those 2 wiring harness connectors together so you end up bypassing the tach unit and still have the ignition system functional, like a jeep that came without a tach from the factory.
uw91 likes this.
post #5 of 72 Old 02-03-2020, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
uw91

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
The Tach looks factory. Although the speaker does not.
---- The speaker was my install

This looks like the plug for the factory fog lights
----That would make sense. They had aftermarket KC fog lights installed.

This looks like the connection for the 4 cyl tach. Is that yellow wire cut?
----The wire is cut, yup. (I have a 6 cyl)

If those were at 90* apart, I would say this is for the turn signal flasher.
----Isn't the turn signal flasher on the fuse box? I see the other square flasher (I think that is it) that is from the wire harness.

Yes "Duck tape" was used in the original harnesses. Something about temperature rating of black electrical tape wasn't high enough to cover splices like that.
----That's crazy and funny at the same time. I guess my biggest worry was the joining of wires in the manner they did.

Thank you for the notes. I guess I need to track down every splice to see where in the heck it goes because I have at least 6 free connections. If they left open connections based on packages, engine type, etc. that'd make sense, but this looks a little strange to me.

PNW Represent
post #6 of 72 Old 02-03-2020, 10:34 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Welcome to scary world of factory CJ wiring. I was shocked the first time I looked at the rat's nest of wires behind my dash. Fortunately, everything still works on mine, so I've left well enough alone.

The duct tape throws a lot of guys off, but that is in fact how they did it at the factory. You'll find a few of those spliced duct taped connections in your engine harness, as well.

Good luck,

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 72 Old 02-03-2020, 10:34 AM
jimdavis577
Jeeper for life

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Yes AMC was known to use Duct Tape as stated above, I have seen it multiple times throughout many jeeps. Also I would suggest If you dont have one.... Get the OEM wiring schematic as it will help you trace down the wires and where there should and shouldn't be splices/ connectors. Alot of times connectors are in place for options you may or may not have on your jeep. Actually your dash harness doenst look horribly molested as of yet ... I have seen and repaired ALOT worse than this .... When doing your repairs.... always try to inspect the connecting wires .... IF they are not clean and Copper in color ... then strip it until you do get to clean wire.... then make your connection there using solder and shrink wrap ..... after I make a connection I always coat the joint and exposed wire with Dielectric grease before shrink wrapping ... just to keep the wires from wicking any moisture into the insulation ..... but its not a necessity ....... good wiring habits and techniques will go along way with a proper running and functioning jeep !
John Strenk, 258 and Sparkybob like this.

79 CJ5, SBC, sm465/np205, Dana 60 axles, stretched and tubed

88 yj, SOA, AMC 304, dana 44 front and rear, on 35s

88 XJ, 4.0 all stock

2012 JKU, 4" inch lift on 35's , bumpers and winch, daily driver
post #8 of 72 Old 02-03-2020, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
uw91

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Here are some more fun pics.

Are these splices factory? I guess; are the way they joined the wires factory connections? I don't know the name of those connectors, but some look correct. Thank you for any interpretations you have and I'll need to track down a wiring diagram for this. Here are more fun pics and please enjoy and throw out any IDs you may know. Hopefully this can help me and many others down the line.

PS: I guess one of my big worries is that when something is spliced together and then leads to an oil/battery gauge, can that cause faulty readings? I guess maybe if it isn't a ground wire?
Attached Thumbnails
Trailertow.jpg   Ligthswitch.jpg   Trailerfuse.jpg   123ignition.jpg   Speedo.jpg  

1to4.jpg   oilbattery.jpg  

PNW Represent
post #9 of 72 Old 02-03-2020, 11:09 AM
jimdavis577
Jeeper for life

1979 CJ5 

Garage
When I get home from work, I will look at a couple harnesses I have in the shop and see if I can match/identify what you got going on there .... I have a few of these laying around I use for parts ..... Here is a dash I did awhile back
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190704_172040_1580753733411.jpg   IMG_20190704_172027_1580753813740.jpg  
uw91 likes this.

88 XJ, 4.0 all stock

post #10 of 72 Old 02-03-2020, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
uw91

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedmetal4x4 View Post
When I get home from work, I will look at a couple harnesses I have in the shop and see if I can match/identify what you got going on there .... I have a few of these laying around I use for parts ..... Here is a dash I did awhile back

Thank you! I don't want you to slave around too much b/c I don't think I have many electrical issues I can't clean up and the gauges appear to be OK. But I'll take any help I can get in cleaning that up, wrapping it right, then never worrying about it again.

PNW Represent
post #11 of 72 Old 02-03-2020, 12:17 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I think these are grounds:
oilbattery.jpg
Name:  InstrumentPanelGround.PNG
Views: 124
Size:  42.0 KB

Are you sure? I think those go to the Dash Panel lights, the speedo only needs 3. ...
1to4.jpg

Accessory circuit splice.
But I wouldn't expect it there. There is a splice that comes from the Ignition switch and is spliced with one going to fuse box and one going to voltmeter.
speedo.jpg

1. Horn Relay
2&3 Can't see it well enough.
123ignition.jpg

Not sure but there is no trailer tow plug. Thinking it might be for the hard top light harness. Never had one on any of my CJ's
trailertow.jpg
Can't see the wire color on the smaller square but there was a plug for the Cigar lighter under there.
Name:  ConnectorCigarLighter.JPG
Views: 42
Size:  54.3 KB

On an 84 CJ the turn signal flasher is behind the parking brake.
Only the emergency flasher is in the fuse box.
flasher84harness.jpg

Here is one you haven't found yet.
Name:  MainPowerFeed.png
Views: 129
Size:  76.9 KB
Might be this one.
main-power-splice.jpg

post #12 of 72 Old 02-03-2020, 12:31 PM
jimdavis577
Jeeper for life

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
I think these are grounds:

Attachment 3886683

Are you sure? I think those go to the Dash Panel lights, the speedo only needs 3. ...

Accessory circuit splice.
But I wouldn't expect it there. There is a splice that comes from the Ignition switch and is spliced with one going to fuse box and one going to voltmeter.

1. Horn Relay
2&3 Can't see it well enough.

Not sure but there is no trailer tow plug.

On an 84 CJ the turn signal flasher is behind the parking brake.
Only the emergency flasher is in the fuse box.
Attachment 3886681

Here is one you haven't found yet.
I believe this is the Fuel guage sending unit ..... is it not .... seems like I remember that and the tail lights in the same loom .....

88 XJ, 4.0 all stock

post #13 of 72 Old 02-03-2020, 12:34 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedmetal4x4 View Post
I believe this is the Fuel guage sending unit ..... is it not .... seems like I remember that and the tail lights in the same loom .....
Ah, I was thinking of the plugs with the Orange and black wires. Thinking it might be for the hard top light harness. Never had one on any of my CJ's

Yes, the other plug is for the tail lights and fuel gauge from the sending unit.

post #14 of 72 Old 02-03-2020, 12:38 PM
jimdavis577
Jeeper for life

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Ah, I was thinking of the plugs with the Orange and black wires. Thinking it might be for the hard top light harness. Never had one on any of my CJ's

Yes, the other plug is for the tail lights and fuel gauge from the sending unit.
well Shouldnt it be 5 wires for tail lights ...... R turn ... L turn .... Park .... Brake .... Reverse...... so that by default ... would meant the orange and black should be fuel guage ..... I hate not having access to my schematics .... LMAO .... I have all data ... so I have all of them and can compare yr by yr .... ITs soooooo nice having that !!! lol

88 XJ, 4.0 all stock

post #15 of 72 Old 02-03-2020, 01:46 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

John is correct, this is for the dome light on a hard top.

uw91, privately send me your email address, and I will send you a copy of the '84 Technical Service Manual wiring schematics.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Trailertow.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in