2Likes
  • 1 Post By Fourtrail
  • 1 Post By John Strenk

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-26-2021, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
marknigh
1986 CJ7 

Won't Turnover

I have a wiring issue I believe. I had a live wire running off the hot side of the starter solenoid that was hooked up to some auxiliary lights and the radio. A connection came loose while trying to start and the whole Jeep went dead as far as electrical. I have since replaced the solenoid. I know have ACC power such as horns, lights, and can get the radio and lights to come back on with the wire reconnected. However when i go to crank the engine it reacts like the batter is low on power. No cranks or clicks and the volt meter gauge drops. I then got a new battery- no change. I put a new starter on and still no change and same symptoms. I getting to a loss of what to replace next to get some motor crank. This is an 86 CJ with really no modifications. Please shoot me some suggestions on where to look next as i hate that i am missing all the great summer weather.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-26-2021, 02:21 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Before you replace anymore likely good parts, you need to purchase a volt meter so we can give you a few places to test for voltage to see where you have either a burnt/bad connection or have a blown fuse/fuseable link.

Also, it is normal on most vehicles for the volt meter to drop to zero when cranking as it turns off most circuits to give full voltage to the starter and ignition to aid in quicker engine starting.

The first place I would look at at the 'S' wire on the solenoid to see if you have 12v there when the key is in the cranking position. Also to make sure that you have the correct wires on the 'S' and the 'I' terminals on the solenoid.
John Strenk likes this.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #3 of 11 Old 07-26-2021, 02:23 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Could be the cable between the battery and the starter solenoid.

If you have a buddy, have them put a voltmeter across the cable and see how much the voltage drops when cranking.
Connect voltmeter from post on battery to terminal post on the solenoid. This checks out the terminals at the same time.

If the voltmeter reads greater than 1 volt, you should replace the cable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....

post #4 of 11 Old 07-26-2021, 05:34 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
Sometimes with a electrical "POP" or a heavy spark spitting in the system

The connections (usually battery) sometimes (for no better words) Blacken or isolate themselves from the post.

It's like a forcefield between the connector and the post.

Removal of the clamp and a good cleaning will usually fix it.

Pay attention to where cables meet clamps too.

When this happens, you may detect 12 Volts from the battery post and no volts on the clamp

------JEEPFELLER
post #5 of 11 Old 07-26-2021, 11:47 PM
BagusJeep

1981 CJ7 

As said, I would start at the solenoid with whether it is wired correctly and what effect 12V on the S tab has.

Ford style solenoids have two big lugs, one for the battery and one for the starter. When you tighten the nuts you have to be careful the studs do not rotate, they are directly connected to the contacts and this throws the internals of the solenoid.

You connect your permanent live connection to the fuse box and the alternator on to the battery stud. These two wires left the factory with fusible links on the ends but as the radio works, they are probably intact.

The other two, smaller tabs are often marked S and I. S is for starter and is a light blue wire from the ignition switch which energises the solenoid. The I tab is used with a ballasted coil and you can feed 12V to the coil in Start, better than the 7V the coil gets in Run, a bit of a boost.

There is sometimes another tab, used on an automatic, which goes to the neutral safety switch. If you have a manual transmission, make sure this is grounded or the solenoid will not operate. You may have picked up an automatic transmission starter solenoid by mistake.

Check your voltages at each wire in Run and Start.

BagusJeep lives in Bali with far too many 4x4s:
1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
1980 Land Rover Series III 109" troop carrier - ROVER
post #6 of 11 Old 07-27-2021, 01:22 AM
mudbfun
1973 CJ5 

Since you have already replaced the Battery and Starter (assuming their connections are good now) next thing to check is the solenoid (both connections and function) as suggested and also the negative battery cable connection at the frame or engine block. As Jeepfeller suggested, the connections need to be clean and strong. If that doesnt help then you need to start testing circuits.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-28-2021, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
marknigh
1986 CJ7 

It's alive! It was that i did not have a ground on the solenoid that came with the extra connection for auto trans. Thanks for the great help. Really think I want to go back to a solenoid not needing this ground. I just see it as a future issue. Any recommendations on a solenoid more like the OEM? Link to buy? Thanks for all the awesome help and responses.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-28-2021, 07:46 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marknigh View Post
It's alive! It was that i did not have a ground on the solenoid that came with the extra connection for auto trans. Thanks for the great help. Really think I want to go back to a solenoid not needing this ground. I just see it as a future issue. Any recommendations on a solenoid more like the OEM? Link to buy? Thanks for all the awesome help and responses.

Any standard 4 post solenoid. Put on darn near every Ford from the 50's through the 80's.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ECHS...arter+solenoid

Interesting that at Napa, the 5 post for the automatic is cheaper than the standard 4 post. More complex is cheaper???

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #9 of 11 Old 07-28-2021, 08:13 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Itís a great anti start device. Just connect the 5th terminal to a switch to ground.

It will prevent the impulsive thief from taking your Jeep for a joy ride
Mongo228 likes this.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #10 of 11 Old 07-29-2021, 12:34 AM
BagusJeep

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marknigh View Post
It's alive! It was that i did not have a ground on the solenoid that came with the extra connection for auto trans.
Good to hear you fixed it.

BagusJeep lives in Bali with far too many 4x4s:
1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
1980 Land Rover Series III 109" troop carrier - ROVER
post #11 of 11 Old 07-29-2021, 07:03 AM
Matt1981CJ7

1981 CJ7 

Nice call on the automatic solenoid, Bagus.

Glad you got her running, OP.

Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in