wiring a push button start - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-13-2019, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
bubba030303

wiring a push button start

I am trying to put a push-button start in my 84 CJ. I found this diagram on here https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/atta...wtwiring1a.jpg but I don't know where to put those wires. I am new to this wiring thing and cant read a wiring diagram to save my life. I will have a toggle to turn the power on and off and then the push button to start. That's all I want to do to it. It is used on a cattle ranch as a work vehicle, so all I need to do is make it start and run not worried about any accessories unless necessary. Just need it to crank and run.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-13-2019, 01:04 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I use to have a drawing and I'll see if I can find it or draw up a new one for you. It's not a schematic but picture of switches and wires running to each location.

Did you buy the switches individually of buy a kit from someplace like Summit Racing?

also do want a switch for accessories like radio, heater, turn signals?

Is everything still stock like the computer control and all that stuff?
The 84 jeep had an emission computer in it to control the engine. A lot of people figure out how to bypass it but if you didn't yet, that will have to be considered also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 Old 08-13-2019, 01:41 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Here is an example of wiring up a pushbutton switch with a panel from summit racing.

One switch is for the ignition the other is for accessories.
Attached Thumbnails
joe-46100_xl.jpg   2Switch Pushbutton panel.jpg  

post #4 of 8 Old 08-13-2019, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
bubba030303

That’s awesome. That’s what I’m looking for. Thank you. It’s still stick everything. Don’t care about blinkers gauges don’t work so don’t care about those either. Just need headlights and it to start and run. No windshield or doors. It strictly a farm truck. Never goes on pavement. So if this fix will do the trick I’ll look up that switch from summit and install this weekend.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-13-2019, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
bubba030303

What did you mean about the emissions computer. Will doing this push button cause a malfunction with it?
post #6 of 8 Old 08-13-2019, 11:32 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The computer is fed from the ignition circuit via a fuse in the fuse box so should run just fine with John's diagram.

In fact, all the circuits should run just fine including gauges and blinkers. Unless they are broke of course.

The CEC computer is unreliable and generally a PITA that many owners junk along with all its sensors and wires once it goes wrong, new ones being unobtainable. If the parts are in working shape, highly saleable. The engine will run better afterwards.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #7 of 8 Old 08-14-2019, 04:45 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba030303 View Post
What did you mean about the emissions computer. Will doing this push button cause a malfunction with it?

No, It will not have any effect on the computer wired up this way.

However, it would be easier to accidentally leave the ignition switch on without the engine running and that would cook your Ignition Control Module (ICM)
This was also a problem with the key system but people usually pulled the key out.

With just a switch, It could easily be left on.

post #8 of 8 Old 08-14-2019, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
bubba030303

To turn the engine off you have to flip the switch off so why would we leave it on?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in