Wiring led turn signal/running lights - Page 3 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 39 Old 05-19-2020, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
tcarr88
1984 CJ7 

Update. Got the new headlight switch installed and no luck. The dimming of dash lights on the old one was terrible, so nice to have that, but did not fix the signal problem.

The turn signals still work great as long as the lights are off. Once the lights are on then signals do not work. Stop lights work all the time.

There are a LOT of threads I have found on this and other forums that are similar, but most never find the fix or did not ever post about a fix. I am still totally at a loss.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 05-19-2020, 11:13 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

So what is in there right now? Did you put the LED's back in or still running the incandescent turn signal lights?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #33 of 39 Old 05-19-2020, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
tcarr88
1984 CJ7 

When I switched the light, I still had the incandescent lights hooked up. I have since taken them off and the LEDs are the only lights front and back. Still the exact same thing though

post #34 of 39 Old 05-20-2020, 04:54 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Ok then.

Just to review, the rear lights are also LED's and work as expected.
They are self contained and have their own independent ground, not the mounting bolts
Brake lights work as expected,
Turn signal lights work as expected, with or without the headlights on.
Emergency flashers work as expected with or without the headlights on
running lights work.
Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of these assumptions.
It's important, so double check

Just the front lights don'r work right. They are an LED assembly with their own independent ground.
Turn signals work OK when the lights are off but don't work when the lights are on.

First thing to do is remove the fender lights bulbs.
I was playing around with the circuit design last night and depending upon your system it could cause the problem you are seeing.
Then see what happens.

What's a mystery is why the incandescent lights don't work either.

Do you have part numbers of the LED's you purchased or a link?
-

post #35 of 39 Old 05-21-2020, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
tcarr88
1984 CJ7 

Recap was almost all correct. The lights all the way around act the same way. Everything works great until the headlights are turned on and then only 6 volts come out of the flasher- 12 on the battery side and 6 on the ‘out to turn signal’ side.

While the lights are on the brake lights work fine. I bought these lights about 1.5 years ago in prep for this and had to find a link. This is the model I have, they really have no info on them though.
https://www.maxxima.com/products/pro...unt-Light.html

They all have 3 wires. A ground, a stop/tail and a less bright running light wire.

I have already taken out the side marker lights and also have wires them different ways and nothing changes. The only thing that I can think is that is has something to do with the white wire in the system.

I also bought heavy duty flashers that list as being Electronic LED flashers. Wondering if I should try the ultra expensive ones that come with their own ground and everything.

Thanks for all the help!
post #36 of 39 Old 05-21-2020, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
tcarr88
1984 CJ7 

There is no flash or sound from the flasher at all when the lights are on. Either the turn signal or the emergency
post #37 of 39 Old 05-21-2020, 10:47 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Hmmm... Emergency flasher don't work either when the lights are on?

No, don't buy the flasher yet. I don't think that will solve your problem yet.

The 6 volts on the flashe is curious though, I'll have to burn a few brain cells to come up with a scenario like that.
You are using a DMM with a ground connecting right to the battery?
Just asking that because if the dash is not grounded properly, then it could have a problem that would explain the 6 volts easily.
A quick check on that is to put one lead of the DMM on the (-) of the battery and the other lead on the dash. there should be no voltage.

Also, just to be clear, the rear TS DONT flash either when the lights are on?

LED in the speedometer lights or speedometer TS lights?

Also try turning OFF the dash lights. This way if the speedometer is not grounded then the speedo lights can back feed through the turn signal lights with the effect of overriding the turn signal. Yeah, yeah, it's a stretch but hey. You never know.

Also, do they also stop working when you only have the parking lights on?? First click on the headlight switch? Pull the fuse on the parking lights.

Any aftermarket electronic devices?

post #38 of 39 Old Yesterday, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
tcarr88
1984 CJ7 

Yes, rear lights do the same thing. We are out of town this next week, but will try the following when I.get back.
Take out running light fuse
Turn down the dash lights
Check ground to dash - should be good - have a ground from the firewall to the dash

Thanks for all your help John!
post #39 of 39 Old Yesterday, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
tcarr88
1984 CJ7 

Sorry. No electronic aftermarket devices right now

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in