Wiring led turn signal/running lights - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 39 Old 05-13-2020, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
tcarr88
1984 CJ7 

Measured the voltage at the out side of the flasher and at the lights. The resistors are at the front right before the lights.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 39 Old 05-13-2020, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
tcarr88
1984 CJ7 

Sorry. Resistors are wired between the ground and the turn signal wire.
post #18 of 39 Old 05-13-2020, 12:56 PM
oldschool74cj5

hello again

reading this tread again. i see that you installed a whole new light assy not just a bulb. one thing you can see is have you disconnect the side front turn and marker lights. then see if it works. the new assemble might not like the way that circuit works. that is the side front light that uses the front grill light for its ground. then when side lights looses ground when the flasher for the turn signal gives power to the turn circuit. so side light goes out because now both wires going to it has power but no ground. once the flasher removes the power the ground is back for the running light to come back on making it look like its flashing.

oldschool

post #19 of 39 Old 05-13-2020, 01:06 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcarr88 View Post
And to go along with both rear signals running together, the signals stop when I press the brake down. This is new, the rear signals still flashed during braking

Sounds like the emergency flasher button is pushed in....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #20 of 39 Old 05-13-2020, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
tcarr88
1984 CJ7 

Deleted 2 posts. Checked the signals before I put the steering wheel all the way on. Rear lights and stop worked same after I got wheel back on
post #21 of 39 Old 05-13-2020, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
tcarr88
1984 CJ7 

Emergency flasher was definitely not on. The front marker lights are not hooked up right now. With the change in circuit direction I have them totally unhooked.

Still have the same exact thing, the signals work great until the lights get turned on. Have the original front lights hooked up and same thing.
post #22 of 39 Old 05-13-2020, 01:14 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool74cj5 View Post
hello again

reading this tread again. i see that you installed a whole new light assy not just a bulb. one thing you can see is have you disconnect the side front turn and marker lights. then see if it works. the new assemble might not like the way that circuit works. that is the side front light that uses the front grill light for its ground. then when side lights looses ground when the flasher for the turn signal gives power to the turn circuit. so side light goes out because now both wires going to it has power but no ground. once the flasher removes the power the ground is back for the running light to come back on making it look like its flashing.

oldschool
Do you mean the fender mounted light as side light?

The fender light has no ground.

It uses the resistance in the filament of the TS or headlight bulb to determine if it should be ON or OFF.
This means that if the headlights are ON then there is current flowing through the fender light. but the resistance of the fenderlight is high so it limits the amount of current going to the TS bulb. This is usually not enough current to light TS bulb.

Since the LED's use little current. The fender light can be OFF when the head lights are on but still apply enough current to keep the LED TS lights illuminated.

As far as the TS LED is concerned, it's a dead short to the headlight circuit.

Name:  Normal-TS-Ani.gif
Views: 9
Size:  65.1 KB

However since his original lights do the same thing. I don't think this is a problem, yet.

post #23 of 39 Old 05-13-2020, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
tcarr88
1984 CJ7 

MFS was cracked and in need of replacement for sure.

I don’t know for sure, because I am not an engineer or electrician, but i did notice that both filaments burn in the 1157 bulbs when the signals are on. I am wondering if I need to put a diode in the non-signal line and have both the white and the green wires hooked up the turn signal wire.

Hope that made sense, wondering if it needs both legs, like on the wiring diagram, to make 12 volts. I know diodes only allow flow through 1 way, so a diode that only lets current go to the Turn wire would keep them separated unless the lights were on and the signal was turned on.

Only thing I can think of.
post #24 of 39 Old 05-13-2020, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
tcarr88
1984 CJ7 

Oldschool, I understand what you are saying. The fender lights are what I was saying were the marker lights.

I replaced them with led lights as well and have not tried hooking them back up to see if it makes a difference. If the current load matters going through them it may by part of the problem. I will hook up the old lights and see if that does anything. Got so many lights and wires hooked up what is a couple of more.

Thanks for the help guys!
post #25 of 39 Old 05-13-2020, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
tcarr88
1984 CJ7 

Hooked up incandescent light the the fender light wires and did and it did not make a difference.

Also tried jumping the wire together, like I thought about, from the white to the turn signal and it made it brighter, but still did not flash. Just tried on the fronts, don’t know if doing both front an back would make a difference or not.

I am totally at a loss. Never quite seen anything like this
post #26 of 39 Old 05-13-2020, 03:35 PM
oldschool74cj5

hello
ok john you diagram confuse me a little just because your showing three bulbs. the copy of 84-86 i have only show the 2 light bulbs. i have attached it in case i am having a bad day at diagrams.

oldschool
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 7Lights (1).pdf (62.6 KB, 2 views)
post #27 of 39 Old 05-13-2020, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
tcarr88
1984 CJ7 

For some strange reason the images are not coming up for me. I am on my phone. Will try in the computer when I get back home tonight.
post #28 of 39 Old 05-13-2020, 03:58 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
hello
ok john you diagram confuse me a little just because your showing three bulbs. the copy of 84-86 i have only show the 2 light bulbs. i have attached it in case i am having a bad day at diagrams.

oldschool
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcarr88 View Post
For some strange reason the images are not coming up for me. I am on my phone. Will try in the computer when I get back home tonight.
That image was a pdf file so it will not appear as a picture.

post #29 of 39 Old 05-13-2020, 04:18 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
hello

oldschool

The 3rd bulb is the light in the speedometer that indicates what direction you are turning.

I included it since it was part of the circuit and why the speedometer light comes on when you have a bad ground with the TS housing.
Attached Thumbnails
FrontTurnSignalCircuit.jpg  

post #30 of 39 Old 05-13-2020, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
tcarr88
1984 CJ7 

Looking at the wiring diagrams, the only part that has not been replaced is the headlight switch. Ordered one and will put it in when it gets here Monday.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in