Wiring led turn signal/running lights - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 Old 05-10-2020, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
tcarr88
1984 CJ7 

Wiring led turn signal/running lights

I am having a problem that I am sure someone has run into, but I cannot find a thread that covers this problem. I am terrible at searching the forum though.

I just painted my 84 cj7 and installed led lights all around. The headlights are great, much better than regular lights, and the stop and turn signals are nice and bright. I replaced both flashers with electronic ones for led’s as well as have 2 resistors wired in for the front.

The new led turn and tail lights are 3 wire- a turn/stop wire, a tail wire, and a ground wire. Of course the old lights are grounded through the housings, so I grounded the grounds to good grounds and hooked up the tail lights to the white wire and the stop/turn wire to the green and green striped wires.

The problem I am having is that it all works great until I turn on the lights. When the lights turn on the turn signals do not flash.

Once I turn on the lights, the power coming from the out side of the flasher drops to 6 volts and does not flash any more. I know this has something to do with the white wire that rindless to the second filament in the regular bulbs, but cannot figure out what to do about it.

Anybody had this problem and solved it with a cj? I found some threads on this problem with Yj’s and Tj’s but not Cj’s. The fixes they used, like new flashers and such did not work for me.

Thanks,
Todd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 05-11-2020, 04:42 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I think you will find you still missed a ground someplace.

I'm thinking the whole grill, which is suppose to be ground may not be a good ground anymore.

With the headlights off, there is sufficient ground going on to make it work normally but when you apply power to the lights then you lose that ground.
Could be something simple like the screws holding on the front T"S lights cannot cut through the paint to form a ground or the whole grill is not well grounded because of the fresh paint job.

Without a good ground the voltage can be backfeeding through your system. it could be any voltage but 6 volts could be one of them.
I never really used LED on the outside. They seem to fail more often than not.

LED's may last for 50,000 hours but the circuit traces they are connected with seem to fail in a couple of years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #3 of 42 Old 05-11-2020, 06:46 AM
EricRThompson
1979 CJ7 

Garage
I had a similar problem when installing my Painless harness and all LED lights. I bought new front turn lamps and just put LED bulbs in them. I found the wires on the turn lamps were wired backwards and for some reason, mounting the lamps upside down and it fixed the problem.

post #4 of 42 Old 05-11-2020, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
tcarr88
1984 CJ7 

Thanks. I will run some totally new grounds from the block to the lights and see if that makes a difference. Will let you know.
post #5 of 42 Old 05-12-2020, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
tcarr88
1984 CJ7 

Added a dedicated ground to the front from the block. Tied into same place as the battery. Also ran new grounds to different spot on the tub, sanded and silver. Still not working. Work fine when the lights are not on, but stop as soon as the lights turn on.

The stop lights work whether the lights are on or off. No more ideas.
post #6 of 42 Old 05-12-2020, 06:38 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Did you just ground the Grill ot the light it self

Some people , like me' drill a hole in the cup and attach a wire and ground it to a good ground.

post #7 of 42 Old 05-12-2020, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
tcarr88
1984 CJ7 

The new lights I installed are 3 wire LED fixtures, not just bulbs. I was probably not clear on that. I had the old lights grounded with screws to the cups.

All worked before switching out the new lights.
post #8 of 42 Old 05-12-2020, 07:05 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Oh, I missed that.

Time to put the ol thinking cap on.

post #9 of 42 Old 05-12-2020, 07:08 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Do you have a voltmeter or a test light?

It would be interesting to connect one end of the test light or DMM to the (+) on the battery and then Connect the other end to the Ground for the Turn signal light.

Try it with the lights off and with the lights on.

post #10 of 42 Old 05-12-2020, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
tcarr88
1984 CJ7 

Only thing I can figure is that it has something to do with the white wire, at the lights, being a common of sorts throughout the system. Schematic shows the white and the colored wires going to either side of the turn/stop light.

I went crazy on grounds a few years ago and have grounds going all over to every panel that may be corroded and not ground well anymore. While I had it apart for painting I went back in and sanded each spot and reinstalled. Grounds should all be good

I found this problem on several posts, but the fixes did not work for me or there was no fix stated. I do not have any diodes in, so don’t know if that means anything or not.
post #11 of 42 Old 05-12-2020, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
tcarr88
1984 CJ7 

I will try the volt meter from battery to ground on the light tomorrow morning. See if anything changes. Will let you know! Thanks!
post #12 of 42 Old 05-12-2020, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
tcarr88
1984 CJ7 

Went out and checked the ground to battery. 12.2 volts before flash, 12.1 to 12.2 while flashing, 12.15 volts with flasher on and with lights on. Ground is definitely stable.
post #13 of 42 Old 05-13-2020, 03:47 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Well shoot.
Can you hook up your old TS light with the incandescent bulb and see if it still works?

Do you have the side markers on the fender installed?
If you do pull those out for a test

post #14 of 42 Old 05-13-2020, 08:28 AM
oldschool74cj5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcarr88 View Post

Once I turn on the lights, the power coming from the out side of the flasher drops to 6 volts and does not flash any more. I know this has something to do with the white wire that rindless to the second filament in the regular bulbs, but cannot figure out what to do about it.

Thanks,
Todd
hello

i quick question i have is where did you measure the 6 volts out of the flasher. did you measure this at the flasher or close to it? another question is where did you install the resistors?
post #15 of 42 Old 05-13-2020, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
tcarr88
1984 CJ7 

Hooked up old lights along with new and still no dice. The lights do the same thing when headlights turn on.

Going to go pick up a MFS in a little while and replace that. Will update thread after that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in