Wiring help - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 04-07-2021, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
maddanecj7
1980 CJ7 

Wiring help

Hi All.
TODAY for the first time in 19 years i had lights in my rear lights.

I have installed the harness for the first time since i took the jeep apart 19 years ago.

but i have run into some issues.

i have brakes , running lights , and Hazard lights... but no blinkers ??
i have cut into the front blinkers to get power for the rear.. ( we are not allowed to run brake and blinker same color )

also how does the main light switch work ? when you pull ?? i guess turning is illumination of instruments or ??

Thx

Kasper

my build thread :https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/danish-cj7-rebuild-1373618/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-07-2021, 02:41 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Do you have both flashers installed? They are separate for turn and hazard. The main light switch is, 1st notch is parking lights, 2nd notch is headlights and parking lights. Twisting the knob will brighten/dim the instrument lights.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #3 of 5 Old 04-07-2021, 07:23 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddanecj7 View Post
Hi All.
TODAY for the first time in 19 years i had lights in my rear lights.

I have installed the harness for the first time since i took the jeep apart 19 years ago.

but i have run into some issues.

i have brakes , running lights , and Hazard lights... but no blinkers ??
i have cut into the front blinkers to get power for the rear.. ( we are not allowed to run brake and blinker same color )

also how does the main light switch work ? when you pull ?? i guess turning is illumination of instruments or ??

Thx

Kasper
That's a good idea cutting into the front turn signals..

Do the front turn signal work?

Do they blink or just stay on steady? If they are on steady, there may be a problem with the flasher.
If they dont work at all it could be the fuse or the blinker or a bad connection in the fuse box.

You have 4 ways which uses a different fuse, blinker and power source.

The headlight switch has 3 positions.

all the way in every thing is off.

first position will turn on the parking lights and the instrument lights. Turning the knob left or right will vary the brightness. There is a dentent at the brightest position that will turn on courtesy light or dome lights if you have them installed.

All the way out will turn on the head lights. The high or Low beams will be controlled by the floor switch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....

post #4 of 5 Old 04-08-2021, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
maddanecj7
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
That's a good idea cutting into the front turn signals..

Do the front turn signal work?

Do they blink or just stay on steady? If they are on steady, there may be a problem with the flasher.
If they dont work at all it could be the fuse or the blinker or a bad connection in the fuse box.

You have 4 ways which uses a different fuse, blinker and power source.

The headlight switch has 3 positions.

all the way in every thing is off.

first position will turn on the parking lights and the instrument lights. Turning the knob left or right will vary the brightness. There is a dentent at the brightest position that will turn on courtesy light or dome lights if you have them installed.

All the way out will turn on the head lights. The high or Low beams will be controlled by the floor switch
Thx John.. tomorrow i will test the relays and front lights
I am moving from the rear and forward

my build thread :https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/danish-cj7-rebuild-1373618/
post #5 of 5 Old 04-09-2021, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
maddanecj7
1980 CJ7 

replaced the fuse and relay.. made grounds for ALL things connected to the lights ..NOT blinkers WORK hurray.

i am putting in a 4.0L instead of my 304V8 .. and tried to get 5 wires to fire ( without the engine / getting bored) but could only get start relay to click but no power to fuelpump ? does the wiring/relays need NNS and connection to the distributer to work ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in