4Likes
  • 2 Post By Renegade82
  • 1 Post By Jim1611
  • 1 Post By pedal2themetai

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-17-2019, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
young jeeper
1986 CJ7 

Wire the bumper spot lights into dome light switch?

I don’t have a dome light and don’t usually have the top on anyway. I was wanting install some lights to the bumper and then wire them so when I click the light switch to where it would turn on the dome light, it would instead turn on the bumper lights.

Is this possible? I have seen the wiring diagram of what post the dome light ties into, I would essentially need to tie the relay into the power and ground of the dome light connection, right?

1986 CJ7
Chevy 350 carb
Muncie SM465
Skyjacker Softride 4" lift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-17-2019, 11:06 PM
Renegade82

1982 CJ7 

Garage
Depends on what light you want to use. If you use some small LED lights the circuit could probably handle it. But if your going to use some type of incandescent lights then no. Now you could if you run another pair of heavy gauge wires back and use a relay, then trigger the relay with the existing dome light circuit switch.

The end of a defining era.... JEEP R.I.P. 1941-1986
My frame off Re-Build: (the 4 year saga....)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-18-2019, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
young jeeper
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
Depends on what light you want to use. If you use some small LED lights the circuit could probably handle it. But if your going to use some type of incandescent lights then no. Now you could if you run another pair of heavy gauge wires back and use a relay, then trigger the relay with the existing dome light circuit switch.
Yeah that was my thought with using a relay. The dome switch should be able to send that signal, right?

Is there any downside to doing it this way? I don’t want to mount switches in the dash and this seems like the cleanest way of doing so.

1986 CJ7
Chevy 350 carb
Muncie SM465

post #4 of 7 Old 10-18-2019, 06:50 PM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by young jeeper View Post
Yeah that was my thought with using a relay. The dome switch should be able to send that signal, right?

Is there any downside to doing it this way? I donít want to mount switches in the dash and this seems like the cleanest way of doing so.
Triggering the relays with the switch takes very little amperage so it won't hurt the switch. I think the dome light switch takes care of the ground and not a hot wire. You also could mount a switch under the dash panel too, that way you avoid drilling re dash. I'd still run the lights on a relay though.
pedal2themetai likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

post #5 of 7 Old 10-19-2019, 07:55 AM
pedal2themetai
1956 CJ5 

HI AAHH I think when you turn the switch to turn on the dome lights doesn't it dim the dash lights Out. Might not be good for night driving..
I'd add a toggle switch to hang under the dash so no new hole visible

good luck
tim
trailhead2004 likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-20-2019, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
young jeeper
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedal2themetai View Post
HI AAHH I think when you turn the switch to turn on the dome lights doesn't it dim the dash lights Out. Might not be good for night driving..

good luck
tim
The dome light comes on at the highest dash light setting. It does on mine anyway.

1986 CJ7
Chevy 350 carb
Muncie SM465
post #7 of 7 Old 10-20-2019, 10:00 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedal2themetai View Post

good luck
tim
X2
A stand alone switch would be easy to rig up and you wouldn't run the risk of accidentally bumping the headlights off messing with the switch.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from it's government
Thomas Payne

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in