Wipers stop on drivers side. - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By JEEPFELLER

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 10-24-2021, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
agear
1984 CJ7 

My drivers are getting Stuck on the wiper side once they move over. However when I barely move them toward passenger they will move on there on to passenger and back to drivers side to get stuck again. They're not coming into contact with the frame or glass seal. Does anybody recognize this problem ?

1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-24-2021, 09:08 AM
Matt1981CJ7

1981 CJ7 

Yup, They are probably binding because the dimpled area where the pivot attaches to the windshield frame is started to flex/bend. Itís fairly common, and can be fixed with a gusset on the inside of the frame to reinforce the pivot dimple. It worked on mine.

Matt
post #3 of 15 Old 10-24-2021, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
agear
1984 CJ7 

Interesting. I dont see any flexing on the outside. I see the arm kinda come out toward the front of the jeep when it stops. Not off the splines - just the in and out play of the pivot . Also interesting is when i block the wipers with my hand from going all the way to the drivers side ; they dont get stuck . My mechanic said motor but now im thinking binding

1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.

post #4 of 15 Old 10-24-2021, 09:44 AM
Matt1981CJ7

1981 CJ7 

Iíd almost guarantee itís binding. Mine did the same thing you are describing.

Time to take a look at the linkages inside the frame.

Matt
post #5 of 15 Old 10-24-2021, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
agear
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
I’d almost guarantee it’s binding. Mine did the same thing you are describing.

Time to take a look at the linkages inside the frame.

Matt
Alright . I'm actually looking forward to it .

post #6 of 15 Old 10-24-2021, 06:15 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
They are parking there or stopping because of a bind?

Insure your "frog eyes" Where the shafts come out are not disfigured, even tilted a little bit. If the wiper shaft is not standing perpendicular all

the way around to the face of the windshield frame---it's asking to bind.

The one on the drivers side of Mr. Jeep was about to tear out, It had creased back and forth so many times as it wobbled,

I cut 2 frog eyes out of a scrap windshield frame and sealed

and riveted them on both sides, over the original frog eyes (keeping it all symmetrical looking).

If I call 'em alligator eyes, I'm referring to the same animal. ---see pic 1)

Yeah, yeah this is a real old pic and I have cut out and fixed the rust under the driver's door, new paint, and new black decals!

Continuing on with possibilities

I labeled this second diagram. Are "A" and "B's levers both pointing down?

Are the rods straight and not bent?

If you take "C" loose and let the drive link dangle---will the motor run unimpaired?

-----JEEPFELLER
Attached Thumbnails
SNOW II MAR 2010 002.jpg  
Attached Images

STJP likes this.
post #7 of 15 Old 10-26-2021, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
agear
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPFELLER View Post
They are parking there or stopping because of a bind?

Insure your "frog eyes" Where the shafts come out are not disfigured, even tilted a little bit. If the wiper shaft is not standing perpendicular all

the way around to the face of the windshield frame---it's asking to bind.

The one on the drivers side of Mr. Jeep was about to tear out, It had creased back and forth so many times as it wobbled,

I cut 2 frog eyes out of a scrap windshield frame and sealed

and riveted them on both sides, over the original frog eyes (keeping it all symmetrical looking).

If I call 'em alligator eyes, I'm referring to the same animal. ---see pic 1)

Yeah, yeah this is a real old pic and I have cut out and fixed the rust under the driver's door, new paint, and new black decals!

Continuing on with possibilities

I labeled this second diagram. Are "A" and "B's levers both pointing down?

Are the rods straight and not bent?

If you take "C" loose and let the drive link dangle---will the motor run unimpaired?

-----JEEPFELLER
Not parking but they are stopping . What frog 🐸 eyes and alligator eyes are you talking about ?

post #8 of 15 Old 10-26-2021, 07:21 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
While looking for a ready made pic to demonstrate--I found this link

It shows a possible fix for a damaged frog eye!

https://1986jeeprestoration.blogspot...er-repair.html

---JEEPFELLER
Attached Images

post #9 of 15 Old 10-26-2021, 10:39 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
"grasshopper eye"

------jeepfeller
Attached Thumbnails
GH eye.jpg  
post #10 of 15 Old 10-27-2021, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
agear
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
"grasshopper eye"

------jeepfeller

I cant see pictures on jeep forum 90 percent of the time . Unfortunately I can't see it 😕. You talking about the pivot holes ?

post #11 of 15 Old 10-27-2021, 06:25 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
The raised 2 portions on your windshield frame in which the wiper shafts protrude thru.

Need to get your picture viewing thingee fixed, you are missing out on, not only my stuff, but all of the other wonderful pics/ explanations that are on this site,

-----JEEPFELLER
post #12 of 15 Old 10-29-2021, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
agear
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
The raised 2 portions on your windshield frame in which the wiper shafts protrude thru.

Need to get you picture viewing thingee fixed, you are missing out on, not only my stuff, but all of the other wonderful pics/ explanations that ae on this site,

-----JEEPFELLER
Yeah totally. I've tried updating my browser but no luck
Okay well its seems to be working right now . I slid the motor over toward the druvers side as much as possible.
Thanks.

post #13 of 15 Old 11-01-2021, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
agear
1984 CJ7 

My wipers got stuck again like they were . So im gonna have to try some more. I can t do anything right now because if you loose that clip that holds motor pivot to linkage it will run away . I have a few clips as back ups coming

post #14 of 15 Old 11-01-2021, 03:11 PM
Matt1981CJ7

1981 CJ7 

I've removed the wiper linkages from my windshield frame several times without losing the clips.

Of course, now that I say that, I'll surely lose a clip the next time I have to mess with the wipers.

Have you tried running the wipers while watching the linkages? It should be fairly obvious where they are binding, and why.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #15 of 15 Old 11-01-2021, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
agear
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
I've removed the wiper linkages from my windshield frame several times with loosing the clips.

Of course, now that I say that, I'll surely loose a clip the next time I have to mess with the wipers.

Have you tried running the wipers while watching the linkages? It should be fairly obvious where they are binding, and why.

Matt
Not yet I may fo that right now . But you know moving the motor toward drivers hside seemed to helped. Don't know why it messed up again. I'll take a look and follow up. Ty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in