wiper knob repair? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 12-11-2019, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
jeffpaul33

wiper knob repair?

Hi folks,
A couple of dash knobs on my '83 CJ7 need some help. I want to keep things as original as possible and being the cheap bastard that I am, I'm hoping there's an easy fix to this. Some type of epoxy maybe? Have y'all repaired these before or just go with a new set?
Your input is most appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeff

Attached Thumbnails
dash knob.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-11-2019, 11:19 AM
CrustySprings
1985 CJ7 

To me, that knob does not look repairable. I replaced my wiper knob with one from Quadratec or Morris. It looks just like the others and it stays on!

258 cu. inch six, Team Rush ignition upgrade, T5, Dana 300, Superwinch lockouts, Black Diamond 3" suspension lift, greasable shackles, poly bushings, JKS quick discos, 32x11.50x15 Cooper STT's, American Racing 23 15x8 alloys, Uniden Pro 520XL CB radio, 2' adjustable tip Firestick antenna, Viair 460 onboard air system
post #3 of 8 Old 12-11-2019, 11:30 AM
schardein

1983 CJ7 

I've mixed up some JB weld and used it to "glue" the metal insert back into the knob. Worked.

1983 CJ7, 5.3, NV3550, D300 4:1, Fr D44 Detroit, Rr D44 OX, 4.56, 35" Falken A/T3W on beadlocks

post #4 of 8 Old 12-11-2019, 05:04 PM
Axhammer

1985 CJ7 

Garage
I kinda agree with both posts above.

You can glue it back on with many different adhesives. If I was going that route I would bent the metal tab slightly so it grabs better too.

A new re-popped knob would be cheap, easy, and maybe last longer than glueing it back together.

I had the same issue with my defrost knob. I used a little bit of green lock tite, and itís holding so far.

My theory is, ďThere is a time and a place for everythingĒ. When I pull the tub off one day, Iíll replace the stuff Iím glueing together now to keep it going, or putting off. Itís all part of the plan.

1985 CJ-7 Red with white hardtop, 258 auto
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #5 of 8 Old 12-12-2019, 05:49 AM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

For one, that doesn't even look like the wiper knob being round or I'm looking at it wrong. The wiper knobs are elliptical shape and are cheap to replace at about $4.00 each. That looks like a radio knob, which aren't cheap to replace and are hard to find.
Attached Images

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #6 of 8 Old 12-12-2019, 06:28 AM
walkerhoundvm

1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
For one, that doesn't even look like the wiper knob being round or I'm looking at it wrong. The wiper knobs are elliptical shape and are cheap to replace at about $4.00 each. That looks like a radio knob, which aren't cheap to replace and are hard to find.
I think it's the angle it's photographed at. The radio knobs don't have those little clips, they're just notched.

Anyways, I used a few dabs of 2 part epoxy to fix mine. Just let it drip in there with the clip installed, then put the knob on the switch and let it dry overnight. It should still pull right off, and the epoxy should help the clip hold so the knob actually works as intended.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-12-2019, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
jeffpaul33

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
Good to know about the elliptical knob for the wiper. The PO must have stuck this round one on. I'll pick up the correct knob. This is my first CJ, picked it up a couple months back....I'm early on in the learning curve!

Thanks to all for the replies!!
post #8 of 8 Old 12-12-2019, 09:44 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Jeff please fill out your profile. If you lived close to me I'd give you a knob. I lost the metal clip and had to order a new knob but kept the old knob. You can buy a new knob cheaper than the postage to mail it.

I didn't realize that the radio knobs are hard to find. I have one with the musical note on my flasher stalk. If anyone wants it it is yours for a generic replacement knob and postage. PM me.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in