Wipeboy wiper upgrade - Opinions or reviews? - JeepForum.com
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 01-24-2020, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
uw91

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Wipeboy wiper upgrade - Opinions or reviews?

I'm looking into the Wipeboy wiper upgrades and I'm liking what I see, but hope to get a bit of feedback from anyone here that has installed them. There are a few options with the basic wiper upgrade or the Billet wiper upgrade. I believe the billet to be a little beefier and has a different pin for the wiper to mount, and appears to also have a longer control arm. (That means more swing, right?)

Would love anyone's thoughts on these as they don't look too bad and I like how they move out of your way on the windshield.

Basic:

Billet:

PNW Represent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 01-24-2020, 12:15 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I've considered them, but decided the odd factory wipers and placement is one of the things that makes a CJ unique.

But then, I try to avoid driving mine in weather that requires wipers. That's not always possible, though, especially during hunting season.

If you try them, let us know how you like them.

Matt
uw91 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 31 Old 01-24-2020, 12:24 PM
HackFabrication

1976 CJ5 

I have them. They work good. I don't have the billet versions.

"In the end...It's all Hack."

post #4 of 31 Old 01-24-2020, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
uw91

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
I've considered them, but decided the odd factory wipers and placement is one of the things that makes a CJ unique.

But then, I try to avoid driving mine in weather that requires wipers. That's not always possible, though, especially during hunting season.

If you try them, let us know how you like them.

Matt

You just had to throw in the 'unique' piece, didn't ya. Being in WA state I don't get many chances to avoid the rain but I do want to be prepared if this dumb state quickly turns a sunny day rainy.

The unique part also has me leaning toward the standard upgrade and not the billeted one, but who knows. Heck, would save me 100.

PNW Represent
post #5 of 31 Old 01-24-2020, 01:00 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

If you use your wipers a bunch, you might consider reinforcing the sheet metal on the inside of the frame where the pivot posts stick thru the frame. That's a known failure point on CJs, and the reason for a lot of factory frames to end up in the dumpster.

I had to reinforce mine a few weeks ago, when the wipers started binding and bending the frame. Another member graciously made the reinforcements gussets for me, and sent me his make-shift device for straightening the frame. It was easy and only took about an hour.

Let me know if you want more detail about the repair.

Matt
uw91 likes this.

post #6 of 31 Old 01-24-2020, 03:01 PM
0hcanada

1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
If you use your wipers a bunch, you might consider reinforcing the sheet metal on the inside of the frame where the pivot posts stick thru the frame. That's a known failure point on CJs, and the reason for a lot of factory frames to end up in the dumpster.
is this the reason and source of the dreaded windshield leak that rusts many a windshield frame before their time; leaking through wiper pivot posts?

if so, I'd be interested in the fix.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
post #7 of 31 Old 01-24-2020, 03:03 PM
EricRThompson
1979 CJ7 

Garage
I have the billet ones. I struggled with the short linkage from the motor to the DS wiper. They sent me a different one and it fits, but the wipers put a lot of stress on the linkage and motor. Not 100%. Also, they give you sleeves to adapt the wiper arm mount to the factory CJ posts and they don't grab well. I keep tightening, but the PS slips a lot. Maybe someone has had better luck than me, but they look good but aren't reliable. I don't drive my Jeep in rain a lot, so not too concerned.
post #8 of 31 Old 01-24-2020, 03:25 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0hcanada View Post
is this the reason and source of the dreaded windshield leak that rusts many a windshield frame before their time; leaking through wiper pivot posts?

if so, I'd be interested in the fix.

I think the dreaded windshield leak is mostly due to the poor design of the cowl seal. I fixed that problem by gluing the upper lip of my new cowl seal to the frame with 3M trim adhesive.

Another place water was getting in was around the windshield seal. A new seal fixed that.

The fresh air intake for the heating system is also a source for leaks. Water seeps in from around the perimeter of the cover and thru the screw holes. A new gasket and some silicone in the screw holes fixed that leak.

Lastly, I used clear silicone to seal up the ends of the cowl seal because that's where the water was getting in and rotting the bottom of my A-pillars.

After all that, my windshield has been leak-free for 8 years now

Matt
0hcanada and uw91 like this.

post #9 of 31 Old 01-24-2020, 04:18 PM
MrPeter63
1983 CJ7 

Being bigger and beefier is what scared me away from them. They look cool and all. The wiper motor and control arms can barely turn the stock ones as is and i've seen, and had to fix, the result of a pivot point gone bad.. Yes, that was due to a pivot point coming loose and something i check on a regular basis now. If i were to go this route i would replace all the brass bushings on the control arms and check everything else for any major wear 30 some years of wiping windshields.... things get loose..

Edit: makes me wonder how much heavier they are then stock wipers.
post #10 of 31 Old 01-24-2020, 08:46 PM
Jack61
1981 CJ7 

I installed the stainless ones a couple of years ago. They work well and look nice. The only drawback that I can see is I believe you would be stuck with using wipeboy replacement wipers, at least I haven't seen anything at Napa that could be used as a replacement. At the same time I installed a wiper delay switch that was used on older bluebird buses. Nice to have modern wiper delay without needing to source a different motor, harness, and stock delay switch.

It used to be, God bless America, it has become God help America
post #11 of 31 Old 01-24-2020, 11:23 PM
1985 CJ7 

Cj

If tension is what you are really looking for on the wiper blades, look into getting some tension springs. I have used these for more than 13 years and they work great. They put pressure on the blades making them press up against the glass firmly; no more flapping blades at higher speeds. *** - (not my photo but it shows the exact tension springs I have) . . . this way you can keep the OEM appearance!
Attached Images

post #12 of 31 Old 01-25-2020, 12:25 AM
Renegade82

1982 CJ7 

Garage
I made a cheap improvement to stock arms that lets me use any of the new wiper blades with the better rubber. See the last page of my thread for details.
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/3...0/index54.html

The end of a defining era.... JEEP R.I.P. 1941-1986
My frame off Re-Build: (the 4 year saga....)

post #13 of 31 Old 01-25-2020, 01:56 AM
ddawg16

1984 CJ7 

Garage
I can't say anything bad about them. Yeah, I have it.

And, yes....the windshield mount points for the wipers has something to be desired.

post #14 of 31 Old 01-26-2020, 07:39 AM
Geek
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uw91 View Post
........ Being in WA state I don't get many chances to avoid the rain but I do want to be prepared if this dumb state quickly turns a sunny day rainy.

I have the non-billet versions, live in WA as well and like them. I have to contend with both rain and snow where I am and they do the job much better than my old stock ones. Course they were old. Like me.

Geek
uw91 likes this.
post #15 of 31 Old 01-26-2020, 08:10 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Be careful with those spring tensioners that 258 posted. I think those were responsible for my wipers to start binding and bending my frame. They work a little too well, causing strain on the linkages and motor.

I took them off when I did my frame repairs/reinforcements.

Matt
uw91 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in