CoachBC

Will YJ Hard doors fit 80 CJ7

Was wondering if the doors off a YJ or any other jeep model fit a 1980 CJ 7

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-20-2021, 12:09 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

IIRC the changover date for the CJ-7 was in 80 went they from the striker plate to the nader bolt, if you have the nader bolt, they will go right on, if you don't, then you would need to update the door striker to the nader bolt for the yj doors to work on your cj-7. nothing newer than a YJ will work on a CJ-7

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #3 of 7 Old 10-20-2021, 11:50 PM
Renegade82

1982 CJ7 

Garage
The hard door shells are about the only Jeep part used on the new Wrangler model. The problem is, as was said above, they were the same as the last Jeeps were and those 81 1/2-86 used a mounted striker post for the paddle handle doors. What may be different is the B pillar that these mount on. I'm not sure what year they added this pillar in place of the horizontal angled brace.

The end of a defining era.... JEEP R.I.P. 1941-1986
My frame off Re-Build: (the 4 year saga....)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old 10-21-2021, 12:22 AM
RedNeckCorvette
1979 CJ7 

The half doors would not fit my CJ-7 due to the thickness of the plastic, on the interior of the doors. They hit the roll bar so hard the doors were 4'' - 5'' open to the outside of the latch. I lost interest for some time now.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-21-2021, 01:44 AM
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
I can't say much on the full doors, but the half doors can be made to work. I know the YJ hard top will fit on a 1980 CJ7 (look up Mister 4x4's CJ7 ... I helped him mount the hard top). So, logically, it would follow the doors, with some modifications, will fit.

We tried to get these striker adapters to work; they sorta did, but not really.

What I wound up doing was cutting out the angled supports from the wheel house to the back of the door frame, and installing YJ B-pillars. You can see what I did here.

Dunno if you have your heart set on the change, but there are a couple of options for you to try. May be others.

Luck to you!

Dave
Mesa, AZ

"Grinders and Paint Make You The Welder You Ain't!" -- from a t-shirt
post #6 of 7 Old 10-21-2021, 04:01 AM
ECJ-7
1976 CJ7 

CJ's Aren't suppose to have doors, it cuts down on the breeze.
devildog80, atrusler and Mongo228 like this.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-28-2021, 08:01 PM
Mister4x4

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo228 View Post
I can't say much on the full doors, but the half doors can be made to work. I know the YJ hard top will fit on a 1980 CJ7 (look up Mister 4x4's CJ7 ... I helped him mount the hard top). So, logically, it would follow the doors, with some modifications, will fit.

We tried to get these striker adapters to work; they sorta did, but not really.

What I wound up doing was cutting out the angled supports from the wheel house to the back of the door frame, and installing YJ B-pillars. You can see what I did here.

Dunno if you have your heart set on the change, but there are a couple of options for you to try. May be others.

Luck to you!
As Dave mentioned, late-model 'paddle handle' door will fit, but you'll need to change strikers. The '80 model were 'wedge type' strikers, and the later models 'pin' strikers (like most modern car doors). I'll be doing the same thing he did to convert to modern style strikers, but instead of welding, I'll be 'gluing' them in with 3M Panel Adhesive.

I tried the striker adapters Dave linked to in his post, but there's a bit of a gap on the trailing edge, because the pin doesn't have enough adjustability to pull the doors in properly. But as you can see, they fit just fine in every other way.

Here's the difference between the '80s doors, and the later model Paddle Handle doors. 'Before' with a CJ hard top and factory doors:
p82a0174.jpg

And 'Now' with the later model Paddle Handle doors and an early YJ hard top (I wanted the bigger windows for better outward visibility). I'll be repainting them to look like it did before:
Mongo228 likes this.

Eric

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in