Will this hurt the value of my Jeep - JeepForum.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 05-27-2021, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Nathar
1984 CJ7 

Will this hurt the value of my Jeep

I have an 84' CJ7 Laredo w less than 25,000 miles. Clean, original, and unmolested. The Carter carb still operates like new.

It currently has a hardtop. My wife wants to put a bikini top on it but I would have to drill holes for the windshield channel in order to install the top. We've already been offered close to $30k for the Jeep and we don't want to harm the value of the Jeep.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-27-2021, 11:41 AM
BrutusBlue
1982 CJ7 

The channel would interfere with the hardtop front edge. If you don’t mind removing the channel every time you put the hard top on then it’s not a big deal.
post #3 of 24 Old 05-27-2021, 11:43 AM
joevinny14

1981 CJ7 

Garage
Value is a subjective proposition. I’m sure to a purist, who wants a completely unadulterated Jeep, one could argue this could hurt the value, but by how much is another question. It’s also possible that this could increase the value to a selection of buyers (myself included). My rig is in very good shape, but when I bought my bikini top this year, I was hoping the holes were already there so I didn’t have to deal with drilling them out (they were).
Attached Thumbnails
67E42405-7CAE-442D-8B8D-7737A78E3FB0_1622137379159.jpg  

post #4 of 24 Old 05-27-2021, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Nathar
1984 CJ7 

Swapping out the channel would only take a few minutes, so no concern at all from that aspect.
post #5 of 24 Old 05-27-2021, 12:22 PM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

You should post some pictures of your Jeep so we can enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathar View Post
I have an 84' CJ7 Laredo w less than 25,000 miles. Clean, original, and unmolested. The Carter carb still operates like new.

It currently has a hardtop. My wife wants to put a bikini top on it but I would have to drill holes for the windshield channel in order to install the top. We've already been offered close to $30k for the Jeep and we don't want to harm the value of the Jeep.
post #6 of 24 Old 05-27-2021, 05:48 PM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathar View Post

The bikini tops will be supplied with sheet metal screws for the installation of the windshield channel, which over time will probably strip out and start to rust later on. I highly recommend drilling and tapping the windshield frame for 8-32 stainless steel screws which can be taken in and out repeatedly. You can get the screws in either bright finish stainless or black stainless.
Attached Thumbnails
Windshield Channel Screws (1).jpg   Windshield Channel Screws (2).jpg  
JEEPFELLER and Rsb201 like this.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #7 of 24 Old 05-27-2021, 06:56 PM
BagusJeep

1981 CJ7 

The holes will be covered up by the hard top when you put it back on.

Some collectors are real obsessive aholes and drive up huge prices for not very special vehicles just because they have all the decals right, the inspectors marks showing, matching number sf curse, original hoses and windshield wiper rubbers (I have just changed my 1990 original Jaguar rubbers, kept the old ones so I could put back on). These types of people are very hard to deal with.

BagusJeep lives in Bali with far too many 4x4s:
1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
1980 Land Rover Series III 109" troop carrier - ROVER
post #8 of 24 Old 05-27-2021, 07:08 PM
kschane

I 100% agree with Keith460. Dont use the sheet metal screws. At minimum tap as he suggested or take it 1 step further and install riv-nuts in the windshield frame (just google them if you are not familiar). This will allow unstallation and removal without much concern for stripping the thin sheet metal.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
pedal2themetai likes this.
post #9 of 24 Old 05-28-2021, 09:04 AM
momo2
1980 CJ7 

Riv nuts. In the second picture they are painted, looks very clean. 20180608_122034.jpg

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950U mit Tapatalk
Dryseals likes this.
post #10 of 24 Old 05-28-2021, 09:42 AM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
It was not uncommon for an owner to install a bikini top when the Jeep was new. Some may have had the dealer install it before taking delivery. Based on that idea, I don’t think drilling the holes to install a bikini top will detract from the value. If it is a $30k Jeep, I would think frequent driving and putting more miles on it would be more detrimental to the value.

Unfortunately there are many people out there driving that are distracted, and
they are causing unnecessary accidents. I had a person blatantly pull out in front of me without even lookin to the left first, to
Check for oncoming traffic.

Lucky for me, my Jeep is mechanically sound, and I was able to stop in time. My 31” Toyo AT-III’s got his attention when they all started barking at the same time.

The Oh **** look on his face was priceless!

Why do I own a CJ? I like to “Balance the wrench and the steering wheel”
1985 CJ-7 Sebring Red, White hardtop, 284 CID inline six (4.7) TF 999 auto
2020 JLU Black, Black hardtop, EcoDiesel, 35’s on 2” Mopar lift
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #11 of 24 Old 05-28-2021, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Nathar
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneTower View Post
You should post some pictures of your Jeep so we can enjoy.
I just added it to the registry w images. Unfortunately my noobism won’t allow me to link it, so Look for Madeline in the registry or copy and paste.

jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=41281743#post41281743
post #12 of 24 Old 05-28-2021, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Nathar
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
The bikini tops will be supplied with sheet metal screws for the installation of the windshield channel, which over time will probably strip out and start to rust later on. I highly recommend drilling and tapping the windshield frame for 8-32 stainless steel screws which can be taken in and out repeatedly. You can get the screws in either bright finish stainless or black stainless.
Great advice on tapping and using stainless screws (I went this route this afternoon). I also have some foam 1/16”x3/8” weatherstrip tape to help protect from scratching and oxidation on the way.

Thank you
post #13 of 24 Old 05-28-2021, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Nathar
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axhammer View Post
It was not uncommon for an owner to install a bikini top when the Jeep was new. Some may have had the dealer install it before taking delivery. Based on that idea, I don’t think drilling the holes to install a bikini top will detract from the value. If it is a $30k Jeep, I would think frequent driving and putting more miles on it would be more detrimental to the value.

Unfortunately there are many people out there driving that are distracted, and
they are causing unnecessary accidents. I had a person blatantly pull out in front of me without even lookin to the left first, to
Check for oncoming traffic.

Lucky for me, my Jeep is mechanically sound, and I was able to stop in time. My 31” Toyo AT-III’s got his attention when they all started barking at the same time.

The Oh **** look on his face was priceless!
As much as I hate relegating this beautiful machine to garage queen status, that is exactly where she spends most of her time. The occasional trip to the ice cream store or to a car show is about all of the driving she sees. But hey, it’s not my only toy!
post #14 of 24 Old 05-29-2021, 05:13 AM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo2 View Post
Riv nuts.

Riv Nuts are even better than just drilling and tapping. That's a step up for sure. They probably stick out above the sheet metal by a 1/16" or less so the foam weatherstrip would fill in the space when mounted.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #15 of 24 Old 05-30-2021, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Nathar
1984 CJ7 

I’ve already gone the drill and tap route. Good thing is that to insert rib nuts would likely require a larger hole so it should still be a possibility for the future if necessary.
keith460 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in