Why is my Jeep lowered? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-30-2020, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
GarageMonkey

1984 CJ7 

Why is my Jeep lowered?

Does anyone know why the previous owner would have put these large shims between the bottom of the axle tube and the top of the springs? They are about 1.25" thick and are on all four wheels. From what I can tell, they are not angled to adjust camber.

For reference:
Tire actual diameter: 29.5"
Tire actual width: 10.5"
Dana 20 in rear; Dana 30 in front

I noticed this when I was checking camber (my steering wheel doesn't automatically return to center after turns). I am wondering if these thick shims could cause my steering problem and if they could be negatively impacting my driveline angles. More measuring is required.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2931.jpg   IMG_2932.jpg   IMG_0442.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-30-2020, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
GarageMonkey

1984 CJ7 

Apologies for the rotated images. I am not seeing how to rotate the images or even delete the image from this reply. If anyone know how to do that, please let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0442.jpg  
post #3 of 11 Old 06-30-2020, 02:50 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

If they are not angled, then no, they should not effect your caster or steering returning to center, but they may cause some bump steer as the draglink would no longer be parallel to the axle. If anything they will make your drive line angles flatter, so not an issues there. those shims were normally only installed on the pass side to counter effect the 'Jeep Lean' to make the Jeep appear to be sitting level so not sure why they would have been put on both sides other than to lower the jeep to make it easier to get in and out of. I would remove them though as any type of a lift/lowering block in the front is unsafe and in most states illegal.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5

post #4 of 11 Old 06-30-2020, 02:59 PM
oldschool74cj5

hello
the only thing i can think about is they were in that group of people who panic'd in the 80's and early 90's about the flipping a hi centered vehicle. there were people doing some strange things during the exploder's flipping days. the funny part was the ranger was the same chassis and drive train and tires but didnt flip because it wasnt marketed as a SPORT utility. back to the cj that is what i thought when i saw yours with blocks to lower. i would remove all of them. on mine the only place i will be putting a small non tapered shim is on the passenger side front that is the same thickness as the steering damper bracket to balance it out.

oldschool
post #5 of 11 Old 06-30-2020, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
GarageMonkey

1984 CJ7 

Thanks for the replies and information. I had not thought about people doing this to lower the center of gravity - I like that theory. I can also see how these would be illegal: it seems like a haphazard way to lower a vehicle. The nuts on all of my U-bolts are flush with the end of the bolts and that certainly does not seem safe.

I plan to remove them all. If I notice any lean, then I might get the correct size to shim under the passenger's side.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-30-2020, 03:43 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

When I worked in a local 4x4 shop in the early 90's, it wasn't uncommon at all to get 1-2 people a month inquire about lowering a vehicle to ease access.

Agreed, they are unsafe, and unnecessary. Remove them.

Hoss

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #7 of 11 Old 07-01-2020, 07:48 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
Could be that it was difficult for Grandpa and Grandma to get in and out of him.

I'm basing my guesses on that the Jeep pretty much looks normal and nice, no steps, no lighting, bumper modifications as you might see if "Joe Hot Rodder" had owned it.

----JEEPFELLER
post #8 of 11 Old 07-02-2020, 04:56 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPFELLER View Post
Could be that it was difficult for Grandpa and Grandma to get in and out of him.

I'm basing my guesses on that the Jeep pretty much looks normal and nice, no steps, no lighting, bumper modifications as you might see if "Joe Hot Rodder" had owned it.

----JEEPFELLER
All right Junior you need to watch the comments about "Grandpa and Grandma!" That's why our CJ5 is close to stock height--whatever that's supposed to be--and also has steps.

Your observation is spot on. An unmodified CJ is so rare these days when folks see one they think something is wrong with them. The only thing I see wrong with the suspension of this Jeep is that the springs might be tired and need to be watched for broken leaves.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #9 of 11 Old 07-02-2020, 11:10 AM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
The era of the modern "new look" CJs '76-'86.

Remember like in the late '70s and early '80s when the owners of new CJs thought the factory tires looked "wimpy" and the 4 slotted rims too?

Everyone rushed out and got the wagon wheel/ white spoked/ I vividly remember "White Apache" with the red (white) blue stripe, rims. Of course new chrome lug nuts which starting to rust the next time it rained.

And above all, those Big, Flashy, "Envy Me" White letter tires.....In the beginning that big upgrade would have been 235/ 75/ R15s

Most discussed topic (in person) was speedometer inaccuracy and among "Envy-ers" how dangerous that it was now with the monster tires, All of the talk always concluded with a "first hand", Dr. Phil account of a Jeep tragedy story (funny how that piece of the Jeep pie has never changed).

I too was there, I was just as proud of my Jeep as I am now.

----JEEPFELLER

Last edited by JEEPFELLER; 07-02-2020 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Words missing/ punctuation
post #10 of 11 Old 07-03-2020, 05:13 AM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMonkey View Post
Does anyone know why the previous owner would have put these large shims between the bottom of the axle tube and the top of the springs? They are about 1.25" thick and are on all four wheels. From what I can tell, they are not angled to adjust camber.

They probably watched a rerun of the December 21, 1980 "60 Minutes" television episode of how unsafe the CJ-5 was and being prone to rollovers. Took their CJ to a shop and had the lowering blocks installed to be on the safe side.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #11 of 11 Old 07-03-2020, 07:14 AM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Thatís a nice looking CJ-7. I donít know why someone would lower a CJ-7, added stability and ease of entry are certainly possible reasons. You didnít mention how long you have owned it, or what your intended usage is? As far as the castor angle goes 6 or 7 degrees positive seems to be where you want it. I guess now is a good time to go through the suspension and modify it the way you want, for your intended purpose.
Attached Images

1985 CJ-7 Red with white hardtop, 258 auto
View my Pontiac in my profile

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in