Where are the rear tie downs located on a CJ5 - JeepForum.com
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 Old 08-03-2020, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Where are the rear tie downs located on a CJ5

I have a bikini hop that needs tie downs in the rear.

I was wondering where on the tear corner the tie downs are usually located

Attached Thumbnails
8301DEDC-7CEA-4BB7-AEE9-BF35BE7D4CF8.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 08-03-2020, 06:57 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

I would put them slightly out from straight back when the top is on. That or in the center of the bend around the back corners.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #3 of 41 Old 08-04-2020, 05:33 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

On top of the rear "rail" of the tub. The angle can be straight back or slightly outward to take up any sagging.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller

post #4 of 41 Old 08-04-2020, 06:15 AM
OrangeCJ-5

1978 CJ5 

On the top rail of the tub at the taillights. This is a 1980 tub if that matters.
Attached Images

post #5 of 41 Old 08-04-2020, 06:18 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Mine are centered over the curve. You want a little side tug against the opposite strap. I wore a uniform for almost 30 years and one thing I learned was when you erect a tent you want more side tension and less linear tension on your lines. I've heard more than once that a CJ is a tractor with a tent pitched on it.

Consider putting a strap buckle in each strap. It makes removal and installation easier. This is important when the afternoon thunderstorm occurs and you are trying to figure out how in the heck to thread the strap while you are getting wet.

Tractor Supply sells chromed footman loops for $1.50.
c82cj likes this.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #6 of 41 Old 08-04-2020, 09:26 AM
BradWilson101
1975 CJ5 

Centered over the rear curve
c82cj likes this.

75 CJ-5 with 76 glass tub. 350 sbc with Edelbrock 600cfm, SM465, D20, D44 w/ 3:73, D30 w/ 3:73, Novak Hydro Clutch Convo. Turned into a frame off resto so it's still in progress.
post #7 of 41 Old 08-04-2020, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Now how to figure out the proper way of putting a threaded insert into fiberglass.
First time was a disaster...

post #8 of 41 Old 08-04-2020, 11:48 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Now how to figure out the proper way of putting a threaded insert into fiberglass.

Drill hole, fill with 2 part epoxy and then insert the insert?
Cutlass327 likes this.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #9 of 41 Old 08-04-2020, 12:21 PM
BradWilson101
1975 CJ5 

Quote:

Do you have the “rivet gun” version or the “long handle, bolt cutter” version? The former has a tendency for sideways torque which hasn’t been helpful in past projects.

75 CJ-5 with 76 glass tub. 350 sbc with Edelbrock 600cfm, SM465, D20, D44 w/ 3:73, D30 w/ 3:73, Novak Hydro Clutch Convo. Turned into a frame off resto so it's still in progress.
post #10 of 41 Old 08-04-2020, 08:09 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
Along with the 2 part epoxy,

You might coat a correct size bolt with anti-seize and run it "even" with the bottom of the insert. After it cures, screw the bolt out.

This is much EZer than drilling the center of the insert, then finding a tap to clean up the internal threads.

----JEEPFELLER
post #11 of 41 Old 08-04-2020, 08:28 PM
cjoffroad

1980 CJ7 

Garage
I like to put a washer on the backside of the insert to give it something to grab to.

post #12 of 41 Old 08-04-2020, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradWilson101 View Post
Do you have the “rivet gun” version or the “long handle, bolt cutter” version? The former has a tendency for sideways torque which hasn’t been helpful in past projects.
That will be another discussion. I need to shore up the visor mounts as the fiberglass is thin and starting to pull out.
I want to put in some of those threaded pop rivets in there.

I have both types of riveters, one that looks like a bolt cutter and one that looks like a pop riveter but it is hydraulic operated.

What I am unsure is the thickness of the fiberglas and getting the right insert length is important.

The area where the footman loop is attached is solid fiberglass. So I think a threaded or splined insert should be used there.

post #13 of 41 Old 08-04-2020, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoffroad View Post
I like to put a washer on the backside of the insert to give it something to grab to.
I'm not sure I follow you here.

post #14 of 41 Old 08-05-2020, 03:42 AM
BradWilson101
1975 CJ5 

Quote:
That will be another discussion. I need to shore up the visor mounts as the fiberglass is thin and starting to pull out.
I want to put in some of those threaded pop rivets in there.

I have both types of riveters, one that looks like a bolt cutter and one that looks like a pop riveter but it is hydraulic operated.

What I am unsure is the thickness of the fiberglas and getting the right insert length is important.

The area where the footman loop is attached is solid fiberglass. So I think a threaded or splined insert should be used there.

Sorry John, I meant the type of “nut insert” tool. Is there any way to add some more resin to build up or shore up the thinning fiberglass? If not I would suggest the epoxy as well. Just to give it some more material.

post #15 of 41 Old 08-05-2020, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradWilson101 View Post
Sorry John, I meant the type of “nut insert” tool. Is there any way to add some more resin to build up or shore up the thinning fiberglass? If not I would suggest the epoxy as well. Just to give it some more material.
I've been reading some boat forums about mounting hardware in fiberglass hulls.

Seems like, "Need a #8 screw mount in a hull?"
"Drill a 1/2" hole and fill it with epoxy, Then put your #8 insert in the epoxy. But make sure you countersink the hole so you don't chip the gel coat."

Not sure how to do that on a vertical surface.

The rails on the CJ are already solid epoxy. Might need to do that with the windshield.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in