Where did all my coolant go - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-16-2020, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
cJAY904
1984 CJ7 

Where did all my coolant go

I overhauled by jeep coolant system a bout 2 years ago, not by choice. I had replaced..... all the hosed, tstat, tstat housing (YJ for new temp probe), water pump, radiator and heater core. That solved my over heating. Life was great for 2 years +/-. Till the other day, I was waiting online at bank and saw the temp rise. Due to being in a public place I decided not to pull a red dawn and fill the radiator on line. So I shut the jeep off.

When i would drive the temp was fine, but if i stopped at a light, the temp went up. When i got home i looked and was down 1 gallon of coolant. I have not seen any leaks. everything looks good. I know its a closed system so not due to evaporation. Suggestions on where to look? BTW, the oil looks fine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-16-2020, 10:21 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Do you have a recovery tank? Look for any white residue at any of the connections, it is possible to have a leak when the Jeep is hot and the coolant is being burnt off/evaporating and you won't see a leak.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #3 of 10 Old 10-16-2020, 03:15 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
Got ya on the "Red Dawn"---Does it come out 50/ 50! LOL!

Oil and coolant are "weekly" checks----Bad bad Jeep owner!

I'd fill him back up and closely watch him everyday, maybe it will show up and be an EZ fix.

-----JEEPFELLER

post #4 of 10 Old 10-17-2020, 07:39 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

The first thing to do is find the leak. Locate where the puddle is and work back from there.
Under the body: heater core. Usually accompanied with fogging of the windshield with the defroster on and a heavy coolant smell.
Under the engine: Front of engine usually indicates a bad water pump, with coolant leaking out the weep hole. look for fluid trails down the block indicating a bad soft plug or a drip under a hose.
Under the radiator: Look at the overflow tube. A bad cap will blow off steam and cause overheating. inspect the core. fluid on the core or pooling on the top of the bottom tank indicates a radiator leak.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller
post #5 of 10 Old 10-17-2020, 08:48 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Why do you think it is a closed system? Do you have a coolant recovery tank? Did you retighten the hose clamps a few days after putting on the new hoses? How often do you check your coolant levels?

I agree with MR. FELLER when he said to fill it up and observe. When it gets to operating temperature look at the engine while the engine is running. If you do this at twilight and use a flashlight steam from pin hole leaks show up better.

The boss' main ride has this super duper computer system that tells you if your oil is low, if you need to add oil, when you need to change oil, if your coolant is low, and even when your tire pressure is low. I tend to ignore it while doing my Monday "preventive maintenance checks and services." That could be a problem if I ignored the Jeep.

Good Luck

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #6 of 10 Old 10-17-2020, 03:18 PM
RiverandSand
1980 CJ5 

Garage
Pull your plugs, if you have one that is bone white your burning your antifreeze in that cylinder. It could be when the cooling system pressurizes it starts leaking into a cylinder.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-18-2020, 01:45 AM
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Not saying this is your problem but this was my experience

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/2...-time-4077458/

Just in case

Ed
1975 CJ-6 1983 CJ-8
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 1986 2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
2012 JKUR RHD
post #8 of 10 Old 10-18-2020, 08:38 AM
pedal2themetai
1956 CJ5 

HI something no one touched base on and you didn't say you changed.. is the pressure cap.. even if you did it might be bad now.. But if the pressure cap doesn't hold the proper pressure it can cause the loss of coolant out the overflow of the reserve tank and you won't see the loss as it well usually happen as you drive.. Might be worth checking it out??
good luck
tim
post #9 of 10 Old Yesterday, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
cJAY904
1984 CJ7 

No overflow tank.
i have been watching/ driving for a few days and not seeing a decrease yet
No puddle under jeep that i can see (I park on indoor/outdoor carpet)
Pulled plugs and they look ok.
I think this is going to be a wait and see. I will keep you all updated.
post #10 of 10 Old Yesterday, 09:36 PM
yellow85cj

1985 CJ7 

Bought a 258 a few years back. Owner said he was having same problem you describe.

When I started to tear it down for a rebuild found the problem. Couldn't see it till the manifolds were off.

Crack in the block between cylinders 5 & 6 I think, maybe 4 & 5. Could see the white crud from the coolant burning off.

Guess it wouldn't leak until the engine heated up and the coolant pressure built up. When engine cooled pressure down no leak.

Might be able to see it from under the engine but would be very difficult.

Someone on the forum mentioned it was a common place for the 258 to crack.

Currently in pieces - all of them

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in