What to use to cowl seal to windshield frame ? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 22 Old 09-22-2019, 04:21 AM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

The problem of sealing the gasket to the windshield frame doesn't apply to the base that it mounts to or to the top of the cowl. It's the outer lip on the front edge where water coming off the windshield frame itself, settles at the base of the frame and remains there until the rust process starts. OEM seals, not aftermarket, had a self-adhesive seal on the backside of outer lip so it would stick to the front bottom edge of the windshield frame. There was even a wire metal grid built into the OEM gasket that also helped stop the gasket from pushing out when the windshield frame was up and it also prevented the gasket from drooping out of shape when the windshield was down. At least my 84's OEM gasket had this feature.

It would be nice if we could just find a suitable double sided tape that is thin enough and has the power to hold the gasket to the base of the windshield frame but still be able to remove it if needed. OEM gasket had it, so there has got to be a tape that can be used that is compatible.

Attached Thumbnails
Windshield Gasket Install (19).jpg   Windshield Gasket Install (24).jpg   IMG_0122.jpg  
InjectedCJ7 likes this.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade

post #17 of 22 Old 09-22-2019, 10:57 AM
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

I've always just used a generous application of white lithium grease (put it on thick). Allow the excess to squeeze out when lifting the WS frame back into position and wipe it away with a rag. Where grease is, water won't go (and WL grease is actually good for preserving the rubber seal).

It's not the Voltage, but the Amperage that will kill you.
post #18 of 22 Old 10-05-2019, 12:44 PM
momo2
1980 CJ7 

Just removed the double sided tape, after two years i didn' stick to the rubber anymore. Also had no luck putting in an oem cowl seal that I got some time ago. The seal was made in 1993 and after beeing stored rolled up for more than 25 years the spongy rubber had expanded so much that it stuck out out of the dash by more than half an inch . But that's another story. Next i gonna try butyl between the frame and the lip. Butyl has worked for my on serveral aplications and my other cowl seal lies quite flat on the ws frame but with no much pressure. I don' t get any water in the cab but water will collect under the lip. Recipe for rust.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

post #19 of 22 Old 05-25-2021, 10:16 AM
InjectedCJ7

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
The problem of sealing the gasket to the windshield frame doesn't apply to the base that it mounts to or to the top of the cowl. It's the outer lip on the front edge where water coming off the windshield frame itself, settles at the base of the frame and remains there until the rust process starts. OEM seals, not aftermarket, had a self-adhesive seal on the backside of outer lip so it would stick to the front bottom edge of the windshield frame. There was even a wire metal grid built into the OEM gasket that also helped stop the gasket from pushing out when the windshield frame was up and it also prevented the gasket from drooping out of shape when the windshield was down. At least my 84's OEM gasket had this feature.

It would be nice if we could just find a suitable double sided tape that is thin enough and has the power to hold the gasket to the base of the windshield frame but still be able to remove it if needed. OEM gasket had it, so there has got to be a tape that can be used that is compatible.
Hi Keith460,
Iím going to take a stab at fixing my leaky windshield seal, using inspiration from your post. I have a fiberglass tub with no defroster holes, which gives me a nice, smooth surface to work with. The way I had it installed to the windshield frame was with 7 screws/washers. The problem was, this method gave uneven force on the gasket, so it is kind of buckled. I plan to fix this by using a 1Ē wide strip of aluminum under the screws to even out the pressure on the gasket. I also plan to seal/glue the lip against the front of the windshield, using weatherstrip adhesive. Then, when I fold the windshield up to reattach it to the roll cage, I will apply some sealer between the tub and the seal. I donít plant to lower my windshield, so Iím not worried about a semi-permanent solution. Iíll be taking several pictures as l go, that Iíll share on this thread.

Thanks for your ideas!

John
post #20 of 22 Old 05-25-2021, 10:45 AM
mudbfun
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
OEM seals, not aftermarket, had a self-adhesive seal on the backside of outer lip so it would stick to the front bottom edge of the windshield frame..

Use a non hardening caulking on the seal to replicate the OEM design.
post #21 of 22 Old 05-25-2021, 01:07 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
I tried the Silicone on another Jeep, it didn't seem to fix it all.

A few years back, I tried this.

If it's unseen, I'll try modifications-----'course this is seen with the windshield down (I drive that way when weather accommodates)

It looks decent enough that it doesn't matter!

I took an aluminum strip (I believe 1/2 wide) I took it to my buddy's house, who makes ductwork for other HVAC guys.

He has a 8 foot "brake" for bending the ductwork.

We stuck my part in there and about midway (1/4 in of the 1/2in) and tweaked it up , guessing it lifted a little more than an 1/8 inch.

Now, viewed from the end I have a "Low V" the same width as the body

I drilled holes for rivets---evenly spaced through the part and top edge of the tub.

I laid down a bead of silicone and installed the rivets.

In the end---the aluminum part is FLAT at the front

The "V" portion sticks up in the rear.

The rear part (resembling) a "Spoiler", BITES slightly into the Cowl rubber, kinda forming a Dam, also raising up what the water would have to jump over.

Yeah, I don't own a museum piece, He's my daily driver, I don't have A/C, but I'm gonna keep the pesky rain water off of me when I'm in him----as long as it's Jeep/ Decent looking.

This works really well.

-----JEEPFELLER
Attached Thumbnails
ws3.jpg   ws2.jpg   ws 1.jpg  
post #22 of 22 Old 05-27-2021, 02:27 PM
InjectedCJ7

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjectedCJ7 View Post
Hi Keith460,
I’m going to take a stab at fixing my leaky windshield seal, using inspiration from your post. I have a fiberglass tub with no defroster holes, which gives me a nice, smooth surface to work with. The way I had it installed to the windshield frame was with 7 screws/washers. The problem was, this method gave uneven force on the gasket, so it is kind of buckled. I plan to fix this by using a 1” wide strip of aluminum under the screws to even out the pressure on the gasket. I also plan to seal/glue the lip against the front of the windshield, using weatherstrip adhesive. Then, when I fold the windshield up to reattach it to the roll cage, I will apply some sealer between the tub and the seal. I don’t plant to lower my windshield, so I’m not worried about a semi-permanent solution. I’ll be taking several pictures as l go, that I’ll share on this thread.

Thanks for your ideas!

John
Well, the Jeep is back together, awaiting the next rainy day to test it out. I didn’t follow my plan outlined above (never a surprise to me, anyway). I made an aluminum strip out of 1” x 1” x 1/16” angle. I cut down one side to about 1/4” so it would clear the frame, but still add bending stiffness. I clamped the gasket to the windshield frame, and folded it up to check the fit. This is the point where I realized that most of the bottom of the gasket was not touching the top of the cowl surface at all… My next step was to try to adjust the hinges to lower the frame. Since I have a fiberglass tub, I’m pretty sure the hinges can’t be adjusted (I kind of tried). I think the hinges are just bolted through the body. I also tried to adjust the hinges on the (steel) windshield frame, also to no avail. So, I decided to try a couple of strips of closed cell foam tape to fill in the gap. I think it is going to work, but I won’t know until my test drive. Luckily, it been raining here about every two or three days, so I shouldn’t have too long to wait. Here’s a couple of pictures so you can see what I did. Sorry for the sideways pictures…

John
Attached Thumbnails
E9DAE8DB-35B9-4426-805A-BBAB23211F5D.jpg   F3AD06EE-D2F2-44CB-A6C9-96A887C901A6.jpg   A2D4F890-0E7E-466E-A1E0-4306331E7AC9.jpg   9EEDE053-6B34-47A9-9204-B8F978FF0DCB.jpg   8FF1E406-3879-4852-B2CF-166202605D77.jpg  

65474496-75A9-418A-9481-244E076C8AFF.jpg   017A447D-FB8A-439E-B55C-177268DE2F05.jpg  
JEEPFELLER likes this.

Last edited by InjectedCJ7; 06-09-2021 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Spelling…

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in