What is the steering shaft length for a non-tilt steering column? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 01-21-2020, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
40YearOldCJ
1977 CJ5 

What is the steering shaft length for a non-tilt steering column?

I’m in the process of rebuilding a non-tilt steering column for a 1977 CJ5. The steering column came with the Jeep but was not installed. When I compress the spring to put on the snap ring it doesn’t compress far enough. I’m wondering if the steering shaft was collapsed slightly at some time. The shaft is 32 1/4”, which seems about 1/4-1/2” short. Can some confirm what the length should be?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-21-2020, 11:22 PM
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

The part of the shaft that collapses is below the area in question. If the shaft was too short, you would not know until the lower bearing install. The top section would still go together fine.

Just asking....are you using a lock ring compressor?

Ed
1975 CJ-6 1983 CJ-8
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
post #3 of 11 Old 01-22-2020, 06:41 AM
shadoow
1985 CJ7 

I've got an 85 cj7 w/tilt column so this may not apply for you.

I recently took apart my upper column to get to some mounting screws that needed tightening. When reassembling I had trouble getting the lock ring to seat as well. My upper bearing has an inner race and retainer. Turns out these two pieces were coming unseated so I couldn't get the depth needed to get the lock ring into position. On my column I can get to the upper bearing after pulling the lockplate, cancel cam, and turn signal assembly. This link shows the upper bearing pieces I'm talking about:

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/8...ation-4380515/

post #4 of 11 Old 01-22-2020, 09:13 AM
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

The upper bearing on the tilt models is different and the spacer on top can be flipped causing this issue. But the non tilt shouldn’t have that issue as there is just a flat washer on top of the bearing.

Ed
1975 CJ-6 1983 CJ-8
post #5 of 11 Old 01-22-2020, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
40YearOldCJ
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by only in a jeep cj View Post
The part of the shaft that collapses is below the area in question. If the shaft was too short, you would not know until the lower bearing install. The top section would still go together fine.

Just asking....are you using a lock ring compressor?
I am using a spring compressor.

I was thinking that about the top section. That is what the bottom snap ring is for. The bottom snap ring is on it. I have the shop manual, so I know all parts are there.

I thought that the shaft length might be the issue because its pulling into the housing and the intermediate shaft won't fit.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-22-2020, 12:59 PM
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

I'm going off memory here so I hope I get this right.

Bearing is pressed into the housing from the bottom. Then the lower tube plate holds it in when the 4 large screws are installed.

The shaft has two snap rings. When inserted, the lower snap rings goes against the bearing.

From the top you load a flat washer, the large spring, the plastic horn/signal cancel cam, the lock plate and then the upper snap ring.
There are two styles of plastic cams and lock plates. A shallow set and a deep well set. They need to match.

Ed
1975 CJ-6 1983 CJ-8
post #7 of 11 Old 01-23-2020, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
40YearOldCJ
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by only in a jeep cj View Post
I'm going off memory here so I hope I get this right.

Bearing is pressed into the housing from the bottom. Then the lower tube plate holds it in when the 4 large screws are installed.

The shaft has two snap rings. When inserted, the lower snap rings goes against the bearing.

From the top you load a flat washer, the large spring, the plastic horn/signal cancel cam, the lock plate and then the upper snap ring.
There are two styles of plastic cams and lock plates. A shallow set and a deep well set. They need to match.
That is the way I understand it. I'm assuming that the shallow set is for the non-tilt and the deep well set is for the tilt. I have the shallow set for the non-tilt. I haven't gotten back to the column, since I posted. I'll give it another try to night.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-23-2020, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
40YearOldCJ
1977 CJ5 

Here is what I am dealing with. See pictures. The top end seems to fit fine. The bottom end is short. I was wrestling with this to try and get things right on both ends. I put the intermediate shaft on the steering column to hold the lower end, while I tried to get the upper situated, which is why I was unable to compress the spring far enough to get the snap ring on. That is why I was initially wondering what the length of the steering shaft sould be.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0957.jpg   IMG_0958.jpg  

Last edited by 40YearOldCJ; 01-23-2020 at 07:28 PM. Reason: added image
post #9 of 11 Old 01-23-2020, 08:48 PM
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Yep.the top looks right because it fits with the snap rings. (with the horn wire, Im guessing your running an aftermarket steering wheel/horn?)

So what happened is the shaft has collapsed some. no biggy. easy fix. It needs to be pulled out about 5/8 to 3/4" it looks like.

If you don't want to have to remove the top snap ring again, you could try using two small wood pieces and a large vice grip to hold the bottom and tap it down with a few hammer hits. Wood used to protect the splines. Don't damage those.

or
Remove the snap ring and slide the shaft out The turn signal cam can stay in. Use a vise to clamp to flat sides of the upper section. Open an adjustable wrench to fit this flat section and place it against the edge of the lower section. tap it apart with a hammer.

before you put it back together, use a paint pen or marker to make a line where the top of the top coupler of the intermediate shaft goes up to on the shaft. This way as long as that line is below your bottom bearing, you know the shaft is at a good length.

Ed
1975 CJ-6 1983 CJ-8
post #10 of 11 Old 01-24-2020, 09:11 AM
oldschool74cj5

hello

couple of ?'s if dont mind. when i did mine it went as planned.

1) are you using the spring compressor from a steering wheel removal kit made for a steering column? example

https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...set-63685.html

2) did you install both bearings in the column housing then install the shaft from the lower end?

3) do you have a copy of the FSM. if not you can download one at oljeep.com

oldschool
post #11 of 11 Old 01-24-2020, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
40YearOldCJ
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool74cj5 View Post
hello

couple of ?'s if dont mind. when i did mine it went as planned.

1) are you using the spring compressor from a steering wheel removal kit made for a steering column? example

https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...set-63685.html

2) did you install both bearings in the column housing then install the shaft from the lower end?

3) do you have a copy of the FSM. if not you can download one at oljeep.com

oldschool
I did use a spring compressor.

I tried all kinds of techniques for the order of the bearing installation. For the most part I did it like the shop manual suggests.

I do have a shop manual.

I'd know for sure if the steering shaft has been collapsed a little, if I knew the stock length. From the pictures that I posted it looks like it has been collapsed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in