Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What speedometer to get?

948 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  RARECJ8 
#1 ·
Any suggestions on a new speedometer for an 83 CJ7? I looked at the Omix-ada since it comes in Km’s but the reviews don’t look good.My fuel gauge seems off and I like the look of Km’s but also don’t want to spend $500. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

#2 ·
hey @Zooguy, I'd do a quick search around the CJ forum here because there has been a ton of threads about gauges. The Fuel gauge is a separate little gauge within your speedo cluster and can be replaced on it's own. Having said that, most fuel gauge issues are due to bad grounds or a bad sending unit.

If you have other reasons for wanting to replace the speedo cluster, you can source originals from ebay or CJ part resellers of which there are quite a few. Rudy's CJs, Collins Brothers, and lots more but they will be expensive. If you don't care about originality, you can check out Speedhut.com which has some great looking gauges for CJ's.

Overall, I'd recommend rolling up your sleeves first. Chances are your fuel gauge issue is fixable without touching the instrument cluster.

#3 ·
#4 ·
Other than Speedhut the only other replacement gauges are these but they never seem to be in stock.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/917209_04.htm

Almost seems that OMIX bought them out and then sat on them until they deplete their current stock. But they wouldn't do that would they?

The next best ones are the Crown replacement gauges but they have a plastic needle movement that sits on a heated part and the needles have melted off.

There might not be anything wrong with your gauges that a good ground wouldn't fix.

And if the gauge is just off, it could be the float in the tank is filling with gas. you would have to take it out to adjust it.

Well what exactly is the problem with the gauge.

#5 ·
Thanks for for the quick replies. Just to add a bit of info. I recently changed my gas tank to a 21 gallon to replace the 15 gallon. The new tank will read full but after a quick drive will read from 1/4 to 3/4. I also need to replace the speedometer gear as my speedometer reads 20% higher. So I thought maybe I would just swap out the original gauge to one with kilometres on top and hope the fuel gauge was better.
My other option is just buy a speedo gear and try to to replace or adjust the fuel gauge. (which I didn’t know you could do). Thanks again for the replies. I’m still not sure what will be best.

#6 ·
If you didn't get one, you might need a different fuel level sensor for the bigger tank. Or extend the arm on the old one.

Then recalibrate your fuel gauge.

Did you get an axle gear change? It could be the speedometer is off or maybe the gears/ tires are different than what came with the CJ. Going to a Kilometer Speedometer wont correct the difference if there was a gear/tire size change.

#7 ·
The new tank did come with a new sensor and longer arm. I wish now that I checked the ohms before I put it in. But since it is already installed I will check the full tank ohms but hope I might be able to adjust the gauge through the slots in the back. Would that work? I didn’t know they were even there.
The speedo is off definitely because of the gearing and tires. I could just replace the speedo gear but if I mess with the whole speedometer gauge I will wait to make sure I get the new speedo gear the first time.

#10 ·
We gutted the whole mess and replaced with the speedhut cluster. No easy task but in the end very satisfied. Lots of careful cutting and heavy use of the label maker. Bonus we got to hack out yards and yards of junk PO wires and sketchy connections.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.