LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 08-01-2020, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
apphunter

1984 CJ7 

Garage
What soft top

Recent lurker first post.

I'm the new owner of a 1984 cj7.

It came with yj full steel doors and a yj hard top.

I want to get a soft top but which one?

The only manufacturer I know of is bestop. According to their website I can choose either a super top or a tiger top.

This is my first jeep and I dont know which one to get. I keep the cj in the garage and I haven't put the doors or top back on since the day I bought it on July 3rd.

I will spend most of the time with the top down or off. The tub currently has the snaps on it.

So what are the advantages/cons of each top and what is y'all experiences with each?

Is there another manufacturer I don't know about?

Thx for the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-01-2020, 08:39 PM
Hurricane4
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Is your CJ7 your daily driver or a fair weather ride?

Maybe just a Bikini top will do. Depends on how you plan to use the Jeep.

"The unbelievable we can do immediately . . . the impossible just takes a little longer."
My College Accounting Professor

"Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"
Winston Churchill

Jeeps I Have Owned in Year Order:
'61 CJ5, '63 CJ6, '78 CJ5, '79 CJ5 (Current), '79 CJ7 & '86 CJ7.
post #3 of 14 Old 08-01-2020, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
apphunter

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane4 View Post
Is your CJ7 your daily driver or a fair weather ride?

Maybe just a Bikini top will do. Depends on how you plan to use the Jeep.
my daily is government issued and comes with blue lights and a siren but I have a tacoma too. If the weather is even remotely nice I will take the jeep.

I have a place at the beach which is about 3 and half hours away. I would like to be able to drive the jeep to the beach.

post #4 of 14 Old 08-01-2020, 09:08 PM
Hurricane4
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

I owned a BesTop SuperTop with the two piece soft doors on a '79 CJ7 I used to own.

Great Soft Top. A lot quieter than the OEM snap style tops.

The sides and back zip completely out. Don't know if your YJ full steel doors will work with this top
but you can always purchase the two piece soft doors. I think this gives you the best of both worlds -
a full enclosure in the event of rain and open air at the same time.

https://www.bestop.com/jeep/1984/cj7...oors-included/

Also - Please fill out your Jeep info completely in your profile. Will help other forum members answer your future questions.

Thanks!
STJP likes this.

"The unbelievable we can do immediately . . . the impossible just takes a little longer."

"Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"
Winston Churchill

post #5 of 14 Old 08-01-2020, 09:09 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Well with the super top you can take te sides off and just run with the top of the top like an extended bikini top.
Hurricane4 and Nucking1Futs like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #6 of 14 Old 08-01-2020, 10:04 PM
seth13_1984
1977 CJ5 

Garage
Someone correct me if Iím wrong, but I think the big difference is the Supertop has the lip that goes around the tub to hold it in place while the tiger top is all snaps.

I have the Bestop Supertop on my Ď77 CJ5 and just this year has started giving me a couple problems. Keep in mind, I bought this in Ď02 I think it was. (The zipper tore out of my rear passenger side window/the Velcro right above the doors doesnít hold very well with the doors off & threads are pulling out.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'77 CJ5 in SE Ohio
258 Straight 6
Carter YF Carb
Montani Semper Liberi
post #7 of 14 Old 08-02-2020, 02:17 AM
MrPeter63
1983 CJ7 

This is the thing, "IF", your looking to go with a soft top. You will need to buy doors as well. Your YJ or even old CJ hard doors will not fit a best top soft top. Not saying there aren't soft tops out there that will except hard doors. It's possible but I have no idea if there is such a thing. Meaning if you look at your hard doors, drivers side, they have a curve to them, upper right. The soft tops require a soft door or a YJ half door with a soft upper and that has an angle on the top right. So if you see where i am going you will have to buy, 1 soft doors upper and lower , or 2 YJ hard lower doors with soft uppers. And Remember your price tag is going up up up $$$$, Anyways, This is what i do and as citizen of Maryland where the weather changes by the minute in spring, summer, and fall. I run a bikini top with a Tonneau cover over the rear. I also run YJ half doors. With that being said, most of the little rain storms that come thru, It stays probly 90% dry on fairly level ground. I also carry with me a Jeep CJ https://www.raingearcovers.com/ cover so if i am out and about. or sitting outside at home, and it starts pouring rain i can throw it on there and all is high and dry. Now, going back to the bikini top and tonneau cover, if i were to put the YJ soft uppers on my YJ half hard doors and depending on the way the wind was blowing, i would say it's a 99% chance the inside of my Jeep will stay dry. At the end of the day, it all depends on how much $$$ you want to spend and how dry you want to keep it. I have no carpet and i keep one of the drain holes on the drivers and passenger side open, just incase. Winter time i run Hard doors and hard top.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-02-2020, 11:43 AM
ADDZ71
1979 CJ7 

seth13_1984 is correct the Supertop uses the newer system that the top fits under the rail and this improves the tightness of the top. I have a almost new top for sale ($450) with all of the hardware. I run a hard top during the winter and a safari top during the summer. The rail system sits on top of the tub and requires drilling a couple of holes on each side to mount.
Submariner likes this.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-02-2020, 02:20 PM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Please fill out your profile. It would be helpful to know your location and thus weather to give you meaningful advice.

If you are going to keep the hardtop and doors I don't see the need for a second full top. I have a Bikini top, wind break, and half doors. Due to the aerodynamics or lack of you are sucking air from the rear. My top normally billows and when I put the wind break on it sucks it down on my head. I have driven ours with that combination for over two hours in 37* weather and in the rain. I put on my Carhardt coat and was comfortable. Full doors would make it almost cozy.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #10 of 14 Old 08-03-2020, 07:58 AM
Capt_Drake

1986 CJ7 

Supertop, because you can take the windows out and still be protected from the sun.

post #11 of 14 Old 08-03-2020, 09:11 AM
ranger83
1986 CJ7 

Where are you located? I have a used bestop super top with two piece doors that I am looking to get rid of. (Full disclosure, it has one side window zipper that needs to be repaired.

PM if interested

Ranger83
86 CJ7(current)
83CJ5(former)
post #12 of 14 Old 08-03-2020, 10:48 AM
Hurricane4
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Drake View Post
Supertop, because you can take the widows out and still be protected from the sun.
I took a widow out once in the CJ5 I have now.
John Strenk and ranger83 like this.

Winston Churchill

post #13 of 14 Old Yesterday, 01:20 PM
Timaaaay83
1983 CJ7 

After my 83 CJ7 Whitco top got trashed (I may have had another Whitco in-between) I went with a Bestop with the snaps. Not sure of what they called it at the time. The top came with it's own hardware so I eventually tossed the Whitco stuff. Had to drill new snap holes also.
Flash forward to now. My Heritage top uses the original Whitco snap holes and hardware and now I'm struggling with cutting bows and support rods. Almost there.
Point is: If you don't know what top previously attached to those snaps, you may need to get out that skinny drill bit if they don't line up. Also make sure all new hardware is provided.
post #14 of 14 Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM
momo2
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeter63 View Post
This is the thing, "IF", your looking to go with a soft top. You will need to buy doors as well. Your YJ or even old CJ hard doors will not fit a best top soft top. Not saying there aren't soft tops out there that will except hard doors. It's possible but I have no idea if there is such a thing. Meaning if you look at your hard doors, drivers side, they have a curve to them, upper right. The soft tops require a soft door or a YJ half door with a soft upper and that has an angle on the top right. So if you see where i am going you will have to buy, 1 soft doors upper and lower , or 2 YJ hard lower doors with soft uppers. And Remember your price tag is going up up up $$$$, Anyways, This is what i do and as citizen of Maryland where the weather changes by the minute in spring, summer, and fall. I run a bikini top with a Tonneau cover over the rear. I also run YJ half doors. With that being said, most of the little rain storms that come thru, It stays probly 90% dry on fairly level ground. I also carry with me a Jeep CJ https://www.raingearcovers.com/ cover so if i am out and about. or sitting outside at home, and it starts pouring rain i can throw it on there and all is high and dry. Now, going back to the bikini top and tonneau cover, if i were to put the YJ soft uppers on my YJ half hard doors and depending on the way the wind was blowing, i would say it's a 99% chance the inside of my Jeep will stay dry. At the end of the day, it all depends on how much $$$ you want to spend and how dry you want to keep it. I have no carpet and i keep one of the drain holes on the drivers and passenger side open, just incase. Winter time i run Hard doors and hard top.
Not true. My Supertop fits hard doors.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950U mit Tapatalk
JoonHoss likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in