What's up with my springs and shackles? - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 10-13-2020, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
bicyclemonkey
1984 CJ7 

What's up with my springs and shackles?

'84 CJ-7 here...

So when I bought the jeep it had really long shackles so they were replaced with a BDS 2.5" lift and stock height Warrior Products shackles. I noticed over the weekend that the fella who installed the lift and shackles torqued them way too tight and bent the shackles and that they have been rubbing on that middle horizontal piece of the shackle. It also looks like the spring has slipped over to the right. It's rubbing on the rear right and left sides. (for some reason it rotated the images when I added them). Did BDS send me the wrong springs? I thought the rear springs were supposed to be 2.5" and the front 2" but mine seem to be narrower. Is the width supposed to include the bushing?

I'm thinking my best bet would be to replace them with factory shackles that don't have that support piece and do the work myself so I know it's done right?

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2750.jpg   IMG_2749.jpg   IMG_2751.jpg   IMG_2754.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-13-2020, 10:19 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Rear springs should be 2.5" wide , not 2"

What do your springs up front look like/ measure?

Hoss

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #3 of 19 Old 10-13-2020, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
bicyclemonkey
1984 CJ7 

That bottom picture is the front spring. I guess it would be 2.5" taking into account for the bushings. Is the metal on the spring eye supposed to be 2.5" or is that the overall width after the bushings stick out?

This is the 2.5" lift I got.

https://bds-suspension.com/product?kid=405H

post #4 of 19 Old 10-13-2020, 10:40 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

The shackles are way over-tight.

Hoss

post #5 of 19 Old 10-13-2020, 10:42 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
Rear springs should be 2.5" wide , not 2"

What do your springs up front look like/ measure?

Hoss

He measured the military wrap which is normally a a spring that is tapered down at the end before it is wrapped around the full width main spring eye.

OP, yes it would probably be a good idea to replace those shackles, I would go with a new set of HD like you have or look into a ones from member Jim1611/Crabtree Tool and Die. Hopefully the bushings are still in good shape, but you may want to plan to replace those when you have it torn apart. Also with the military wrap, you want the longer part of the shackle, if there is an offset center connector to go to the top so it doesn't rub in the spring like yours is doing.

http://www.crabtreetool.com/Jeep%20P...rder-form.html
Cutlass327 likes this.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #6 of 19 Old 10-13-2020, 10:42 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Fourtrail is correct. And shackles should not be bound up like that. If you have a porta-power or press, you can put them back in shape and reuse to get by.

I can't imagine how poorly that ride must be with the springs completely bound up like that, top and bottom

Hoss

post #7 of 19 Old 10-13-2020, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
bicyclemonkey
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
The shackles are way over-tight.

Hoss
absolutely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
He measured the military wrap which is normally a a spring that is tapered down at the end before it is wrapped around the full width main spring eye.

OP, yes it would probably be a good idea to replace those shackles, I would go with a new set of HD like you have or look into a ones from member Jim1611/Crabtree Tool and Die. Hopefully the bushings are still in good shape, but you may want to plan to replace those when you have it torn apart. Also with the military wrap, you want the longer part of the shackle, if there is an offset center connector to go to the top so it doesn't rub in the spring like yours is doing.

http://www.crabtreetool.com/Jeep%20P...rder-form.html
I was hoping the shackle had an offset/longer side, but the support is right in the middle. Good to know on the military wrap...I'm glad I don't have the wrong springs installed.

Quote:
Fourtrail is correct. And shackles should not be bound up like that. If you have a porta-power or press, you can put them back in shape and reuse to get by.

I can't imagine how poorly that ride must be with the springs completely bound up like that, top and bottom

Hoss
It was riding rough until I dropped the tire pressure down to 20psi. I was surprised it wasn't making any noise back there.
post #8 of 19 Old 10-13-2020, 11:05 AM
RiverandSand
1980 CJ5 

Garage
You can straighten them out, I made a jig out of 1/2" all thread, nuts and washers and pulled them back into shape. You may need a little heat to help the process. Measure the spring it self not the wrap should be 2" in front and 2.5" in the rear. My front shackles Measures 2.5" inside to inside and 3" for the rear. The bushings should fill up the rest, if they are the right ones. The torque for those bolts are 25 lbs. According to BDS instructions. I used all BDS bushings when I did mine.
post #9 of 19 Old 10-13-2020, 11:42 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicyclemonkey View Post
absolutely

I was hoping the shackle had an offset/longer side, but the support is right in the middle. Good to know on the military wrap...I'm glad I don't have the wrong springs installed.

It was riding rough until I dropped the tire pressure down to 20psi. I was surprised it wasn't making any noise back there.
Something's gotta move to make noise, and nothing on those Springs or shackles was moving

Hoss

post #10 of 19 Old 10-13-2020, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
bicyclemonkey
1984 CJ7 

So, since those springs have the military wrap, any other shackle that has the support in the middle won't work unless that support is off-set, leaving more room on the spring side of the shackle?
post #11 of 19 Old 10-13-2020, 01:44 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Depends on the length of the shackle. If you want the center support, you may have to order a set of lift shackles to clear the military wrap. Measure the center of the bushing to the edge of the wrap and hopefully you can get the measurement of the shackle spacing before you order a different set.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #12 of 19 Old 10-13-2020, 03:13 PM
exheep
1976 CJ5 

If you decide to re-use the shackles, I'd put a couple of washers between the bushing and the shackle to take up that empty space. Then it can be torqued to spec.
RARECJ8 and Cutlass327 like this.
post #13 of 19 Old 10-16-2020, 08:23 PM
PJM86

1986 CJ7 

Garage
I have 2.5 bds lift and had a set of rugged ridge 1 non greasable shackles. Jeep was riding rough and decided to contact Jim, as other mentioned...great guy, and bought stock height shackles. I was able to reuse my bushings, yours may need to be replaced since they seem pinched. When I installed new greaseable shackles I did not install the center bolt so it would not interfere with the military wrapped springs. Tighten the shackles to 10 foot pounds and I run 25lbs of air in my 31 tires. CJ rides much better now.
post #14 of 19 Old 10-18-2020, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
bicyclemonkey
1984 CJ7 

There we go, back to they way God intended it to be! I used the new bushings that came with the new shackles b/c they seemed to be rubber instead of polyurethane. That was an easy swap and everything came apart super easy. Thanks for all the replies!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2801.jpg  
post #15 of 19 Old 10-18-2020, 06:35 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Those look like stock style shackles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in