Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What's causing my Jeep to chirp

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  layzdude 
#1 ·
I am getting a chirping/ squeeky sound coming from my 86 CJ7. It starts after its warmed up and only happens when in gear foot off clutch. Manual 5 speed. I replaced the water pump and power steering pump (both were original) but it has not stopped. could it be the clutch? The clutch does not slip. Was thinking maybe the throwout bearing. but wouldn't make more noise as I depress and release the clutch. Tired of replacing parts. lol

Ant thought?

#3 ·
Fan clutch? Fan belt too loose? Or a random loose muffler bracket? I’ve had all 3 make noise but the last time was a simple muffler bracket in the rear that was the culprit. Drove me nuts and was not easy to find. Had a mechanic ride in the back while I drove it around. He pinpointed the location. Check all above and then move on!

#5 ·
Loose fan belt or an idler pulley/bearing starting to go out were my thoughts. As a temporary thing you could try some lubricant on the bearings or belt dressing to see if it goes away...it may be time for new belt(s). Should temporarily stop and then return.

#6 ·
Don’t apply lubricant but water with a spray bottle. The lube can cause future slippage. It may be a dried u-joint. Are yours greasable? If so, grease them. Also, grab the drive-shaft from underneath and wiggle it at the joints. Should be solid (no play).

To check your pulley bearings, at idle, carefully put a piece of wood or a long screwdriver on the pulley bolt. Be careful and mindful when doing this. If you have long hair, cap it! On the holding end, place your ear via your thumb knuckle to listen to the spinning bearing. It should be pretty quiet. If it’s a grinding noise, the bearing is shot and can squeak when it gets hot. Don’t buy a new pulley (expensive), simply replace the bearing/s (# 6203 1/2” 2RS WTW).

#7 ·
This is so timely of a post. I took my jeep out for a shakedown before I go on a road trip.

So far I've only eliminated the hood hold down but there seems to be many more.

It only squeaks when the manifold vacuum is below 15 inhg.
So what does that tell you?

And it also squeeks just pushing the jeep so I think that that is a u-joint.

#10 ·
Grease is an underused 5 letter word!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.