What is the proper install of dipstick in 304 v8 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 04-11-2009, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
frankp
1978 CJ5 

What is the proper install of dipstick in 304 v8

I am new to this forum so pleae forgive me if i do not do something properly the first time.
I have a 1978 cj5 with a 304 v8. The dipstick tube needs replacing. The engine is still in the jeep so I am seeking advice on the proper way to install the dip stick tube. By looking i am unsure if i need to remove the exhuast manifold or not? I am also unclear if the tube should go on the inside of the manifold secured to the bolck or out side. The tube was broken off when I bought the jeep.
Thanks for the help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-11-2009, 01:44 PM
danheit

1979 CJ7 

LEARN TO USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!!!!!!!

I'm just kidding! Everyone here is pretty easy going, especially with the new folks. We all had to ask that first question on this forum at one point in time or another. Welcome to the forum!

As for the 304 dipstick, first off, it is a push in style (on mine). The tube just pushes into the hole in the block and goes down into the oil pan. No sealer or anything, just pressure.
Second, there is a metal tab with a hole in it that slides down around the tube of the dipstick, and the other end bolts to a valve cover bolt, the one right between the 5&7 cylinders. It bolts very close to the block, and thus would have to go on the inside of the exhaust manifold. (I have headers, so I am only 99% sure of it's location of either inside or outside).

I NEED A SINGLE 15X8 MICKEY THOMPSON OR SIMILAR ALUMINUM BULLET HOLE WHEEL!!!!

Build Thread: 1979 CJ7
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 04-11-2009, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
frankp
1978 CJ5 

thanks for the insight

I guess that means I will need to pull the exhaust manifold. Thanks again for the insight.

post #4 of 17 Old 04-11-2009, 02:36 PM
Curt Reinhardt
1978 CJ5 

Be careful - read this thread.........
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=609068
post #5 of 17 Old 04-11-2009, 08:27 PM
SQF1
1976 CJ5 

I used the vice trick, rtv and a real real light sanding of the expansion ring and it eventually went in. You should not have to remove the exhaust manifold. Once the tube is the correct diameter you may be able to get at it better from underneath. I have headers on mine so I can't recall how much room the stock manifold leaves for accessing the block where the tube goes in.
post #6 of 17 Old 04-11-2009, 08:57 PM
jksull

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQF1 View Post
I used the vice trick, rtv and a real real light sanding of the expansion ring and it eventually went in. You should not have to remove the exhaust manifold. Once the tube is the correct diameter you may be able to get at it better from underneath. I have headers on mine so I can't recall how much room the stock manifold leaves for accessing the block where the tube goes in.

Try using a flare block to resize the Ball it worked for me.
Tighten it down turn a 1/4 turn and tighten again and again.

I almost forgot the gasket kit came with a O-Ring for the dip stick

Last edited by jksull; 04-11-2009 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Adding info
post #7 of 17 Old 04-12-2009, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
frankp
1978 CJ5 

Dipstick tube thanks

Thanks for everyones help. I had to remove the oil pan due to the fact I drove the tube in a far as it would go. I ended up hitting the inside of pan itself and ended up ruining the tube. I am in the process of ordering a new tube. Any suggestions? I do not need the dipstick again.
I want to thank everyone that posted. The insight and comments are very helpful. I have found this forum excellent and the information better than my service manual.
post #8 of 17 Old 04-13-2009, 02:28 AM
OldSailor
1977 CJ7 

Here's a suggestion when you get the new tube. Clean out the hole in the block really well. Put the new dipstick tube in the freezer for several hours. That will decrease it's size a little, and you should be able to easily push it into the block. After it warms up to normal temperaature, you should be good to go.

1977 CJ7, AMC360 V8 w/ headers, DUI HEI, Edelbrock intake, Holley 4150 carb, , TF999, D300, D30 front and AMC20 rear with 4.56 gears and lockers both ends, 4" susp lift, 2.5" body lift, 35" BFGs, ARG steering, 8000-lb winch, etc.
post #9 of 17 Old 04-13-2009, 07:00 AM
Curt Reinhardt
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankp View Post
Thanks for everyones help. I had to remove the oil pan due to the fact I drove the tube in a far as it would go. I ended up hitting the inside of pan itself and ended up ruining the tube. I am in the process of ordering a new tube. Any suggestions? I do not need the dipstick again.
I want to thank everyone that posted. The insight and comments are very helpful. I have found this forum excellent and the information better than my service manual.
Not cheap but this will solve your problem.........
http://www.bulltear.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=190
post #10 of 17 Old 04-19-2009, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
frankp
1978 CJ5 

dipstick tube install furstation

Ok, I installed the new dipstick tube, began to replace the oil pan and decided to do a test fit to make sure it all worked. Well it did not. When I slide the dipstick in the tube it hits the innner oil pan. I am now at a loss. I am hoping that someone can explain this and provide some help. The tube is seated against the block so the only thing I can think to do is the remove the tube and take some of the bend out of the tube. Thanks in advance for all the help.
post #11 of 17 Old 04-19-2009, 05:47 PM
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

You have to take the dipstick out, and re-aim it back into the block.

This time, install it with the dipstick in the tube. If the dipstick hits something, when re-installing, take it out then ( the tube won't be in real far, at that point), and try again.

To start with, the curve in the upper part of the tube curves around the block, and should end up between the #5 and #7 spark plugs. Also, be sure to install the little tab that secures the top of the dipstick tube to the valve cover .

This will give you an idea of a starting angle.

I actually welded a "buffer" sleeve on my new tube, to give me something to hit against, and made an installation tool, to hit the sleeve with...

I ruined a brand new one when installing it, before I got "creative".

'79 CJ5, AMC 360, t-18/d20 twin stick, dana 30/amc20(Mosers), Edelbrock Performer intake, Holley 600, ps/pb, DUI HEI, 'glass tub/1pc. tilt nose, 33x12.50 BFG AT's.

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
post #12 of 17 Old 04-19-2009, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
frankp
1978 CJ5 

dipstick blues

Thanks for the pics and tips. I can tell by the pics my angle is much sharper than on yours, I am pulling the tube out this evening and starting over, Thanks.
post #13 of 17 Old 04-19-2009, 07:51 PM
davemci

1978 CJ7 

Not to hijack this thread, but is there a way to get the broken piece of the dipstick out without removing the pan?
post #14 of 17 Old 04-19-2009, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
frankp
1978 CJ5 

remove broken tube

The best way I found was to thread a screw into the broken tube and pull or tap it out. There might be better way someone has.
post #15 of 17 Old 04-21-2009, 09:40 AM
incynr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemci View Post
Not to hijack this thread, but is there a way to get the broken piece of the dipstick out without removing the pan?
I just did this. I used a slide hammer connected to a vice grip for a bit...then I hit from underneath with hammer and a beat heavy screwdriver that I broke the tip off long ago.........

I put GREASE in the tube chunk out of paranoia.

I tapped the tube 1/4-20 and sunk one of those though green electrical ground screws that was about 1.25" long into the tube.....

The I used a tiny bit of locktite and ran the screw in again...let it get hardened in... and began the slide pulling... Which sucked since I had oldschool cable controls for the winch in the way... then I budged it and kept at it underneath the Jeep. Wham, wham, wham...careful to avoid bolck, just getting edge of screw...Finally she gave out and came out.

whew, the hard part over............oh no it isn't!

Get a new dipstick from BULLTEAR, they are reworked ones that fit. That said I polished the already turned 'nubs' down a bit with some sandpaper...this was after my first try not going well.

Put the tube in with the stick as mentioned, you will have to start it and also turn it to proper position, you can't just line it up and go with engine in situ.

Then make that tool shown above, shown or carefully use an open end wrench and tap it in. I used a TINY bit of sealant at the VERY lip/top. You will wish you made that tubular peice shown to make the seat stronger, I managed without it and only slight torture to the disptick seat lip, but was VERY lucky. I made a tool like above out of an old curved end pry bar by making a notch in it..Not as good as tubular shown above.

I then flushed the crankcase with various partial oil bottles of new engine oil laying around especially light weights, mostly again out of paranoia.

This is an annoying task to say the least, and practically impossible without a a good prepared dipstick and some tool making. I have to say total time between AGH this wont work, oh #%@#!, yay it's out!, and how the heck, @[email protected], ok close, @[email protected]! it, then YAY beer, was probably 8 hours, over a week of evening beers and making toolings.

in hindsight, I was probably time wise better off pan out, but that meant new pan, new seal, new rear seal, possibly motor mounts, and what ever else I would have started into for myself, and elected to touch that whole microcosm later.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in